2006 World Cup

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Anyone watched the recent US friendlies as they prepare for this summer? The US despite missing about half of their starters(no players on teams in Europe--except Heath Pearce) are looking pretty solid. 3 - 2 Vs. Japan, 5 - 0 Vs. Norway, 4 - 0 Vs. Guatemala and the only stinker being 0 - 0 Vs. Canada.

Arena is going to be forced to make some tough decisions for his 23 man roster.

I think Adu needs to realize he has ZERO shot of making the roster and be patient for 2010...when the team should be stronger than ever.

Twellman, I think his name is, is making it VERY tough for Arena not to include him in the squad.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Stout said:
Twellman, I think his name is, is making it VERY tough for Arena not to include him in the squad.

I read an article recently about how Eric Wynalda (US all time leading scorer) thinks that Twellman and not McBride should be the starting forward for the US. Wynalda sort of takes a shot at Arena by saying he has a "love affair" with McBride for some reason.

I personally think McBride's best days are behind him. He is purely a target player in the air and is not one to take opponents on with the ball. Eddie Johnson when healthy is both a target and has the speed and ball skills to beat players with the dribble. Twellman would be the perfect complement for a player like Johnson but doesn't seem the be the right fit for a player like McBride who I think requires a Donovan up front with him--rather than allow Donovan to play in the MF where he is better suited.

Oh well though, its hard to argue with Arena's success. He obviously knows what he is doing.

As for Twellman I think he is a lock for the 23 man roster but he may never start at the WC which is unfortunate.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Stout said:

I think Johnson and McBride are both better than Twellman, but he put up a nice game recently (2 or 3 goals). I like him better than Wollf but I wouyld give a healthy Chang the edge over Twellman. It's going to be a tough call.

Some other good players are on the edge, like Conrad and Gibbs.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I think Johnson and McBride are both better than Twellman, but he put up a nice game recently (2 or 3 goals). I like him better than Wollf but I wouyld give a healthy Chang the edge over Twellman. It's going to be a tough call.

Some other good players are on the edge, like Conrad and Gibbs.

Johnson is the most exciting striker the US currently has, the only concerns with him are 1) durability--he's had a bunch of recent injuries and 2) level of competition, he can score on the weaklings of CONCACAF and MLS but he hasn't proven himself against higher levels of competition. He is young though and his best days are ahead(assuming he stays healthy).

McBrides best days are behind him...All he provides is size and strength as a target player in the air. Twellman on the other hand provides that as well as the ability to take on players off the dribble and provide good service to his teammates (he's not only been scoring goals at a great rate but providing assists as well). Twellman also has to prove himself against higher levels of competition as well. Chang IMO has zero shot of making the final roster(unless there is an injury), he absolutely disappears in international matches as well as for long stretches in MLS play.

I think Conrad has locked up a position on the 23 man roster. He'll be competing with Pope, Onyewu and Bocanegra for 1 of the 2 starting center back spots(Onyewu is a lock as far as I am concerned). Gibbs is probably on the outside looking in, I think only an injury will get him on the team...if he played leftback he'd have a much better shot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Thought you might want to read Wynalda's thoughts on Twellman and McBride(and Arena for that matter)....

Passing The Torch
Andrea Canales
Archive

One person who wasn't surprised to see Taylor Twellman enjoy his breakout game against Norway was ESPN analyst Eric Wynalda. The Hall of Famer had long championed Twellman as a player who had the ability but just needed a true chance. The outspoken Wynalda was at the match -- as a fan, not an announcer -- and, in his view, Twellman was long overdue. Wynalda wasn't shy about expressing other thoughts, as well.

Though Wynalda never enjoyed a Major League Soccer career as successful as Twellman's already has been, no U.S. player has matched Wynalda's tally of 34 international goals. Wynalda actually touted Twellman as capable of that feat.

"A lot of people can't understand why I think so highly of Taylor," Wynalda said.

Only another striker understands the unrelenting pressure to score goals. Wynalda admired Twellman's fighting spirit in the face of numerous setbacks on the national team stage.

"Look back at [Twellman's] qualifiers. He scored two goals that were called back -- that were not offside," Wynalda said. "That happened to him twice. I can't imagine what that must have done to him. I have a lot more respect for him now."

Referee's calls weren't the only obstacle Twellman faced in his battle to prove himself worthy of a national team spot.

"I'll just say it -- Bruce Arena has a love affair with Brian McBride," Wynalda said.

According to Wynalda, Twellman had trouble getting a fair shot because McBride was so often the default choice for Arena, the coach of the U.S. national team. Wynalda pointed out how few games Twellman started and how rarely he was granted games with other first-choice players.

"Twellman is more versatile," Wynalda said. "He's as good in the air as Brian is. Twellman will win as many balls for you. Bottom line, he's more economical -- if he goes to the World Cup, he's going to get chances. He's shown that he converts chances."

For his part, Arena has no doubts as to McBride's worthiness. "Brian McBride has arguably been our most consistent striker and therefore plays the most," Arena said.

Arena believes Twellman is progressing.

"Taylor's still finding his way," Arena said. "He's got a way to go. Not that he's not going to get there, but Brian McBride has proven himself."

After Twellman scored his first goal, Wynalda saw a changed man.

"It's everything to have scored. Now he knows he can do it and the monkey's off his back," Wynalda said. "In the last qualifying game, analyze his reaction to scoring. That's what got me. That's when I knew he was going to be all right, because he'd finally scored. The first thing he looks at is the linesman. When he realizes that they actually counted that one, he turns and goes all the way to the far corner, keeps his head down, and starts talking to himself. Watching that, I could see a million things go through his head. For me, that was the turning point."

Less inclined to guess a player's thoughts, Arena focused instead on evaluating performances.

"I don't know how they think," Arena said. "I think along those lines [of which player looks better than another at a position]. I don't know if the players do. That's not their job. Their job is to make my choices difficult. I don't know if they look at the opposition or the competition they have in their positions, but fair enough if they do."

Though he played abroad himself in Germany, Wynalda was not overawed by McBride's success in the English Premiership league.

"You're going to get more chances to score in the Premiership than any other league in the world. That's why it's the most exciting league, because it's basically dive in," Wynalda said. "Everywhere else -- in Italy, Germany, France -- they actually defend, but in England, it's a scorefest. It's a very fast-paced game and it's conducive to forwards, especially the style that Brian McBride plays. He's going to get his chances and he's going to score goals, but does that equate to anything at the international level? Not really."

"Is he considered a soccer expert?" Arena skeptically questioned of Wynalda.

"He has an opinion, that's fine," Arena concluded. "I certainly think Brian's much more established. I don't think anyone can argue that. He's established himself not only with our national team, but in a pretty good league as well."

Even if Wynalda's views contrast with Arena's in certain regards, there are some areas of agreement. Wynalda expects McBride to be on the roster for Germany.

"My only concern is that that really holds us back a bit when we want to run," Wynalda said. "When we really want to go, can we do it with Brian? We can only play one style of play when he's on the field. I think we can change it around just a little bit more with some of the other guys.

"Brian needs a player like Landon on the field or he's not going to do as well," Wynalda explained. "I think Brian is a player who helps us and hurts us sometimes. I think Taylor's a player who can possibly help just a little bit more in this World Cup."

Wynalda has heard some suggest that his praise of Twellman hides another purpose. "A lot of people have their opinions. Some say I want Twellman to replace Brian McBride so that McBride doesn't catch my [international goals] record. That has nothing to do with it," Wynalda said.

"I'm just being honest here. There's no way I can escape people saying that I have an ulterior motive for saying the things that I've been saying about Taylor. The whole McBride thing is ultimately Bruce's decision. My guess is that McBride will be on the field -- regardless of whether he plays poorly or plays well."

It is partly personal experience that leads Wynalda to that conclusion.

"I'm familiar with this because I've had times where I was in a very similar position to where McBride is now," Wynalda explained. "I was playing pretty bad but still finding myself in the starting lineup. I think now there's so many guys pushing, that are capable -- I think that's the most important word -- that they're capable of playing at the international level."

"We don't have to play the same guys every game. We can actually vary it a little bit and still be successful. That's the best part of our team right now. They're fun to watch. [Against Norway] they were great. They had a poor opponent, but they were still pretty fun to watch."

In the struggle for roster spots, Wynalda has noted a few shifts in the pecking order: "The confidence-builder for someone like Twellman, or even Clint Dempsey, who I thought was tremendous, is important to the process. You can look at this different ways. You can say, 'Taylor Twellman scored three goals against a pretty crappy Norwegian team.' How many goals did Josh Wolff score? That's one case in point right there.

"I think Josh Wolff is a guy who has got to be contemplating the future. I think he's a guy who knows that he's got limited time to prove himself. How he deals with the pressure and insecurity will determine whether he makes it."

Strikers, Wynalda observed, often set the tone for a team, especially in major events like the World Cup.

"You've got other guys who are just flying high, like Twellman and like Landon, who will always be a bundle of confidence," he said. "You've got to hope that they have a positive effect on the guys around them."

The decisions that lie ahead for Arena will be tough ones. Wynalda does not envy the task.

"It's a difficult thing. This is probably the hardest team to [pick] that we've ever had," Wynalda said. "There's just too much talent. The numbers are pretty staggering. All across the board, we've got great players."

The flexibility of the squad will be crucial, according to Wynalda: "The one thing I think we need to do is give ourselves options. I think that's what Bruce was thinking in the last World Cup by having someone like Clint Mathis. He was there for one specific reason, and that was to be in the right place at the right time and have a cool head for the goal. Josh was another option -- and McBride and Donovan were our main options, with Beasley being somewhat of an X-factor coming out of midfield."

Despite his criticisms of Arena on a few points, Wynalda says the coach has been a master at molding an effective unit.

"I thought that Bruce did an amazing job managing the team in the last World Cup, and I think he'll do it again," Wynalda affirmed. "He has the quality as coach to make the really, really tough decisions. I think in the end we've got the right guy. You've got to plan so that your team is playing its best soccer and you have to figure out who those guys are -- who is linking up and who's in good form."

Though Arena's time at the head post has extended so long that only a few unretired players remain who have been capped by another coach, Wynalda predicted an unprecedented return stint for the U.S. skipper.

"It's a very fickle business. [Arena] knows that better than anybody. But ultimately it will be his decision," Wynalda said. "And I think it should be. I think no one's had as much success at the international level. He's had great players, and the timing was perfect for him, but still, he's done a tremendous job. I think it'll be up to him. If he decides to stick around for four more years and sign that contract, it'll be an international record where someone got to coach a country that long. I don't think that's happened anywhere."

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My guess at the 23 man roster for this summer, assuming everyone is healthy of course(starters in bold with the US running their normal 4-4-2)...

GK
Keller
Howard
Hahnemann

D
Lewis(MF as well)
Onyewu
Pope
Cherundolo

Bocanegra
Dunivant
Conrad
Hejduk(MF)

MF
Beasley
O'Brien
Reyna
Dempsey

Convey
Mastroeni
Klein
Noonan

F
Donovan(MF)
McBride

Twellman
Johnson

I wouldn't start McBride and I'd start Dunivant over Lewis and probably Bocanegra over Pope but this was my guess as to what Arena will do.

We'll see how close I am when the rosters are announced later this spring.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Johnson is the most exciting striker the US currently has, the only concerns with him are 1) durability--he's had a bunch of recent injuries and 2) level of competition, he can score on the weaklings of CONCACAF and MLS but he hasn't proven himself against higher levels of competition. He is young though and his best days are ahead(assuming he stays healthy).

McBrides best days are behind him...All he provides is size and strength as a target player in the air. Twellman on the other hand provides that as well as the ability to take on players off the dribble and provide good service to his teammates (he's not only been scoring goals at a great rate but providing assists as well). Twellman also has to prove himself against higher levels of competition as well. Chang IMO has zero shot of making the final roster(unless there is an injury), he absolutely disappears in international matches as well as for long stretches in MLS play.

I think Conrad has locked up a position on the 23 man roster. He'll be competing with Pope, Onyewu and Bocanegra for 1 of the 2 starting center back spots(Onyewu is a lock as far as I am concerned). Gibbs is probably on the outside looking in, I think only an injury will get him on the team...if he played leftback he'd have a much better shot.

I disagree on McBride. You are right on on Onyewu, I love this guy. He is seriosly a top 20 defender in the world as far as I am concerned.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Zeno said:
My guess at the 23 man roster for this summer, assuming everyone is healthy of course(starters in bold with the US running their normal 4-4-2)...

GK
Keller
Howard
Hahnemann

D
Lewis(MF as well)
Onyewu
Pope
Cherundolo

Bocanegra
Dunivant
Conrad
Hejduk(MF)

MF
Beasley
O'Brien
Reyna
Dempsey

Convey
Mastroeni
Klein
Noonan

F
Donovan(MF)
McBride

Twellman
Johnson

I wouldn't start McBride and I'd start Dunivant over Lewis and probably Bocanegra over Pope but this was my guess as to what Arena will do.

We'll see how close I am when the rosters are announced later this spring.
A few things:

- Hahnemann played very well in what I saw, but what about Freidel?
- I think Hejduk will start
- I also could see Reyna getting benched at some point and having a MF of O'Brein (if 100%), Dempsey, Beasley, and either Lewis, Mastroeni (I really like this guy), or even Donovan; I have watched Reyna a good amount with City and he doesn't seem like the player he was in 02, it could be a situation like with Agoos
- I could also see Bocanegra starting
- Do you think Berhalter has a legit shot at a spot?

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
so as an early prediction how far do you guys think you will get?

and who do you think will win?

my beer money is on .........Italy to win (they have to be due and i have backed them for last 12 years!) some good results of late and have a decent squad as usual (barring Ronadinho winning the thing on his own i think they have a chance)

i think you will finish second in your group and go out in the next round (depends on who you play though) and England will lose in the semi's!

Stout

Reaction score
English on tour said:

my beer money is on .........Italy to win (they have to be due and i have backed them for last 12 years!) some good results of late and have a decent squad as usual (barring Ronadinho winning the thing on his own i think they have a chance)

i think you will finish second in your group and go out in the next round (depends on who you play though) and England will lose in the semi's!

I think we finish second in the group, and make it at least to the quarters, but I wouldn't put the semis completely out of reach.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
A few things:

- Hahnemann played very well in what I saw, but what about Freidel?
- I think Hejduk will start
- I also could see Reyna getting benched at some point and having a MF of O'Brein (if 100%), Dempsey, Beasley, and either Lewis, Mastroeni (I really like this guy), or even Donovan; I have watched Reyna a good amount with City and he doesn't seem like the player he was in 02, it could be a situation like with Agoos
- I could also see Bocanegra starting
- Do you think Berhalter has a legit shot at a spot?

Friedel retired from International play.

Who would Hejduk beat out? Arena loves Cherundulo(and rightly so--how many US players can claim to be co-captains in Europe and have the game to back it up?), and he's not going to start in the midfield. Lewis is a natural left footed player and the transition for him to Left Back has been going very well.

Reyna is another guy Arena loves, the only way he doesn't start is with injury. I don't necessarily agree with it and look forward to his retirement when the US is forced to move on at that position rather than keep waiting for him to stay healthy. Mastroeni isn't a replacement for him as he is a holding/defensive midfielder and not a "point guard" type MF, Dempsey could develop in to that type of player. Arena was hoping Zavagnin would be ready for that role but he has been horrible.

Berhalter has a shot but I think he is in a real battle. What he has going for him is that he plays regularly in Europe and that means a lot to Arena when he makes his decisions.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
English on tour said:

I think the US gets in with 2 draws and 1 win. I just have a feeling the US defense and goalkeeping will be enough to shut down even the great attacking players on Italy and Czech Republic. (disclaimer this is my prediction now without seeing the final roster and with the possible injuries that always seem to hit the US team).

My pick to win? Hard to say. It won't be Germany and it won't be the US.

Stout

Reaction score
Hmm...pick to win? That's a tough one. Oh, wait, it's easy...Trinidad and Tobago :D

Seriously, I think it's either Italy or England. Brazil has a good shot too. Italy has a lot to prove and a solid team with a great keeper. Brazil I think has too many defensive worries this time around. England has the Owen injury that they need to deal with, and some defensive difficulties, but they have a favorable initial draw.

I think, as long as Owen gets healthy, England takes it.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
Heading to Germany 06JUL

Anybody on the board familiar with Gelsenkirchen or Kaiserslautern? I'm Looking for some info on the area.. I don't have tickets to the matches and most likely won't be getting any. What type of atmosphere would these cities provide to watch the USA matches as apposed to say a Munich or Frankfurt?

Does anyone know of any message boards that I might be better off at to get information.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
CardEd said:
Anybody on the board familiar with Gelsenkirchen or Kaiserslautern? I'm Looking for some info on the area.. I don't have tickets to the matches and most likely won't be getting any. What type of atmosphere would these cities provide to watch the USA matches as apposed to say a Munich or Frankfurt?

Does anyone know of any message boards that I might be better off at to get information.

Never heard of Gelsenkirchen, at first I thought you wrote Geilenkirchen, which I have been at...

As for Kaiserslautern, the largest American military base (I believe it's an air base) is there, so there is a lot of American influence there. I was only there for a day, but there are places to go in every German town to catch the world cup. There are pubs/restaurants everywhere.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Never heard of Gelsenkirchen, at first I thought you wrote Geilenkirchen, which I have been at...

As for Kaiserslautern, the largest American military base (I believe it's an air base) is there, so there is a lot of American influence there. I was only there for a day, but there are places to go in every German town to catch the world cup. There are pubs/restaurants everywhere.

Gelsenkirchen is the city that USA plays it's first game at on 12JUN. Thanks for the info on Kaiserslautern. I was hoping to find a Pub that has the game on TV. Just wasn't sure if they did that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
CardEd said:

Gelsenkirchen is the city that USA plays it's first game at on 12JUN. Thanks for the info on Kaiserslautern. I was hoping to find a Pub that has the game on TV. Just wasn't sure if they did that.

I wouldn't worry too much. The closest we can come to their love of soccer is probably football, and the Europeans love soccer a lot more than that. It's unreal. If a pub/restaurant doesn't have a tv, I'm sure they'll wheel one in. :D

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here is the roster for the match against Germany on the 22nd in Dortmund. Missing quite a few projected starters (Donovan, Dempsey, Onyewu, Beasley, McBride, Reyna, Lewis)

Berhalter, Gregg D 6'1" 175
Cherundolo, Steve D 5'6" 145
Ching, Brian F 6’1”
Conrad, Jimmy D 6'2" 185
Convey, Bobby M/D 5'8" 150
Feilhaber, Benny M 5'9" 150
Gibbs, Cory D 6'3" 178
Hahnemann, Marcus GK 6’3" 220
Johnson, Eddie F 6’0” 180
Keller, Kasey GK 6'2" 190
Klein, Chris M 6'1" 180
Mastroeni, Pablo M 5'10" 170
Olsen, Ben M 5'8" 140
Pearce, Heath D 5’10” 175
Pope, Eddie D 6'1" 180
Twellman, Taylor F 5’11” 170
Wolff, Josh F 5'8" 160
Zavagnin, Kerry M 5’10” 170

I hope Eddie Johnson is healthy and in shape enough for Arena to give him a full 90.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Just want to add sth about Kaiserslautern or K-town as it is known among the Kaiserslautern Military Community (airbase Ramstein and military hospital of Landstuhl, army and air force installations in Kaiserslautern and the armys Baumholder training area), since thats my hometown. Its a small town with around 100 000 inhabitants in the heart of the largest forest area in Germany, is situated in the Southwest not far from the French border (ca 70 km/45 miles), and hosts around 40 000 US citizens, mostly military personnel and their families.

You will have no problem watching the games in town, there will be a open-air area with large screens somewhere in the centre of the town. Additionally, as Chaplin told you, there will be no pub that wont show the games on big-screen TVs.

Dont have time to write more now since I have to leave but if you want more information I will certainly help you.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Gelsenkirchen is a "worker's" city, traditional coal mining area... not exactly one of germany's beautiful cities.

Their team Schalke04 has lots of passionate fans though and their stadium is one of the best in the world.

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
Nate said:
Just want to add sth about Kaiserslautern or K-town as it is known among the Kaiserslautern Military Community (airbase Ramstein and military hospital of Landstuhl, army and air force installations in Kaiserslautern and the armys Baumholder training area), since thats my hometown. Its a small town with around 100 000 inhabitants in the heart of the largest forest area in Germany, is situated in the Southwest not far from the French border (ca 70 km/45 miles), and hosts around 40 000 US citizens, mostly military personnel and their families.

You will have no problem watching the games in town, there will be a open-air area with large screens somewhere in the centre of the town. Additionally, as Chaplin told you, there will be no pub that wont show the games on big-screen TVs.

Dont have time to write more now since I have to leave but if you want more information I will certainly help you.

I will be asking you info as i get closer to my trip. I'm in the research stage of trip planning. I'm sure I'll have plenty of Q's for you.

Thanks for your support in advance

Stout

Reaction score
England (and my Newcastle United Magpies) have a serious, serious problem. Michael Owen just suffered an injury setback and may now miss the World Cup. They have other strikers, but this will make it well nigh impossible for them to win, IMO.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Stout said:
England (and my Newcastle United Magpies) have a serious, serious problem. Michael Owen just suffered an injury setback and may now miss the World Cup. They have other strikers, but this will make it well nigh impossible for them to win, IMO.

i think he will be ok !!

the local rag here (good contacts at the club) seem to think he will be fine!

as long as he is still crocked when you play us at SOL in 3 weeks ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05