2006 World Cup

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
English on tour said:
i think he will be ok !!

the local rag here (good contacts at the club) seem to think he will be fine!

as long as he is still crocked when you play us at SOL in 3 weeks ;)

Yeah, they're now saying he'll be all right.

And don't worry...no matter how bad we are, we'll beat ya with or without Owen ;)

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Arena announces 23 man roster...

Here it is....

Goalkeepers (3): Marcus Hahnemann, Tim Howard, Kasey Keller

Defenders (8 ): Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Jimmy Conrad, Cory Gibbs, Frankie Hejduk, Eddie Lewis, Oguchi Onyewu, Eddie Pope

Midfielders (8 ): DaMarcus Beasley, Bobby Convey, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Pablo Mastroeni, John O’Brien, Ben Olsen, Claudio Reyna

Forwards (4): Brian Ching, Eddie Johnson, Brian McBride, Josh Wolff

Surprises? Conrad made it despite not playing well in recent friendlies. Twellman didn't make it despite playing well in most games this year--Ching made it despite disappearing in every international this year. I'd have taken Berhalter or Dunivant over Hejduk but Arena loves Frankie for some reason.

Thats a very good midfield when healthy. The defense is pretty solid too. The forwards won't scare anyone -- our country just lacks world class strikers.

ALTERNATES:

Goalkeepers (2): Tony Meola (New York Red Bulls), Matt Reis (New England Revolution)

Defenders (3): Chris Albright (Los Angeles Galaxy), Gregg Berhalter (Energie Cottbus), Todd Dunivant (Los Angeles Galaxy)

Midfielders (5): Chris Armas (Chicago Fire), Chris Klein (Real Salt Lake), Pat Noonan (New England Revolution), Steve Ralston (New England Revolution), Kerry Zavagnin (Kansas City Wizards)

Forwards (3): Conor Casey (FSV Mainz), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Zeno - was just getting ready to post that!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
One change already....Albright in Hejduk out...

NEW YORK (AP) -- A day after his World Cup dreams were crushed when he was left off the U.S. roster, Chris Albright was sitting at his computer Wednesday when he got an instant message to call coach Bruce Arena.

Leah Albright, who is 7½ months pregnant, asked her husband what was going on.

"I didn't want her to see the instant message because I didn't want her to get her hopes up before I actually spoke to Bruce," Chris Albright said. "But she pushed me out of the way with the big belly that she's got right now and got to the computer."

Almost exactly 24 hours after failing to make the 23-man American roster, Albright was added after a test revealed defender Frankie Hejduk has a torn knee ligament.

Hejduk was injured Saturday while playing for Major League Soccer's Columbus Crew. He thinks he was hurt when he went up for a header and a Kansas City player landed on him, but he played the full game and there wasn't much swelling. Hejduk participated in Tuesday's training session but after feeling pain in his right knee, he had an MRI exam Wednesday that revealed a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

The 6-foot-1 Albright, a former forward who was converted to defender in 2003, will be making his first World Cup trip -- Leah will stay behind. The 31-year-old Hejduk was a member of the U.S. team at the 1998 and 2002 tournaments.

Albright was among the 13 alternates announced Tuesday along with Arena's original 23-man roster, which included eight defenders. The 27-year-old becomes the second member of the Los Angeles Galaxy on the team, joining Landon Donovan.

Albright played in five World Cup qualifiers last year and can be used as an outside back on either side or in the midfield.

"They're completely different players," Arena said. "Frankie relies clearly on positioning, quickness, his competitiveness, his instincts in the game. Chris is a guy that takes advantage of his physical qualities. Set pieces in the attack, he's dangerous defensively because of his size, good in the air. In the attack, probably a little bit better than Frankie because of his experience as an attacking player most of his soccer career. He gives us a little more going forward than Frankie, perhaps, maybe he doesn't have the experience on the defensive end of the field that Frankie offered."

Arena also had to tab his replacements four years ago, when midfielder Chris Armas tore an ACL. Greg Vanney was set to replace Armas but tore a knee ligament, and Steve Cherundolo got the spot only to injure a knee in training and miss all five games the Americans played in the tournament.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My guess is aside from the back-up GKs, Albright, Olsen, Conrad and Ching are probably least likely to see playing time as anyone on the roster.

If the US wants to get past the round of 16 they need to win their group because whoever finishes second in our group will likely play Brazil in the second round(assuming Brazil wins their group). We have the defense and goalkeeping to play with anyone we just needs some breaks to go our way on the offensive end.

My early predictions, first US goal will be scored by Demarcus Beasley and Keller will have 2 shut outs in the first round.

Stout

Reaction score
Zeno said:
My guess is aside from the back-up GKs, Albright, Olsen, Conrad and Ching are probably least likely to see playing time as anyone on the roster.

If the US wants to get past the round of 16 they need to win their group because whoever finishes second in our group will likely play Brazil in the second round(assuming Brazil wins their group). We have the defense and goalkeeping to play with anyone we just needs some breaks to go our way on the offensive end.

My early predictions, first US goal will be scored by Demarcus Beasley and Keller will have 2 shut outs in the first round.

So who does the starting 4 on defense become? I'm guessing Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundalo, and Lewis, but that's just a guess.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Stout said:
So who does the starting 4 on defense become? I'm guessing Bocanegra, Onyewu, Cherundalo, and Lewis, but that's just a guess.

Onyewu, Cherundolo and Lewis are locks...Bocanegra, Gibbs and Pope fight for that last centerback spot...Conrad too, I guess, although I don't think he has much of a chance--they all have good size and are threats on set pieces, it'll just boil down to Arena's preference at the time. It also bodes well when it comes to protecting a lead and adding a fifth defender late in a match, Arena will have talent to choose from.

MF depends on where Arena decides to play Donovan(he was up top with McBride in '02) and whether O'Brien can get match fit(and healthy). About the only locks are Beasley on the left and Reyna in the center.

We'll see in the next month or so with their send off series as to what is in the works.

5/23 Vs. Morocco
5/26 Vs. Venezuela
5/28 Vs. Latvia

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Onyewu, Cherundolo and Lewis are locks...Bocanegra, Gibbs and Pope fight for that last centerback spot...Conrad too, I guess, although I don't think he has much of a chance--they all have good size and are threats on set pieces, it'll just boil down to Arena's preference at the time. It also bodes well when it comes to protecting a lead and adding a fifth defender late in a match, Arena will have talent to choose from.

MF depends on where Arena decides to play Donovan(he was up top with McBride in '02) and whether O'Brien can get match fit(and healthy). About the only locks are Beasley on the left and Reyna in the center.

We'll see in the next month or so with their send off series as to what is in the works.

5/23 Vs. Morocco
5/26 Vs. Venezuela
5/28 Vs. Latvia

I really don't see Dempsey sitting, I think he will be an outside middy and O'Brien will be in spot duty while he recovers.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I really don't see Dempsey sitting, I think he will be an outside middy and O'Brien will be in spot duty while he recovers.

Don't get me wrong I think Dempsey should start I just don't think he is a lock right now. If Arena plays Donovan in the MF he'll play as the right sided MF, with Reyna and O'Brien or Reyna and Mastroeni in the center and Beasley in his normal left sided MF role. If Donovan plays up front then Dempsey will move in to the right sided MF role...I think Dempsey is the next American to get a big European contract after this summer hopefully he doesn't something with his chance and doesn't fall flat like Donovan did.

Players like Dempsey, Donovan, Beasley, Onyewu, Convey, Gibbs and Johnson will be the core of the 2010 team so I hope they all experience some success this summer so they can be the leaders for the younger players when the time rolls around.

Reaction score
I saw a thing on sportscenter the other night and they were talking to Bruce Arena and he made it pretty clear to me that Pope was going to start. Mostly in thanks to his experience.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
ALLABOUTTHEKID32 said:
I saw a thing on sportscenter the other night and they were talking to Bruce Arena and he made it pretty clear to me that Pope was going to start. Mostly in thanks to his experience.

I think Pope has played well enough to earn a starting spot but I just think Gibbs and Bocanegra are too good to keep on the bench...but in reality they are all competing for one remaining spot. If its Pope great, if it isn't its because one of the others earned it.

Stout

Reaction score
I just hope we don't enter the group round with the defense-first attitude. Let's face it: We have one of the world's top keepers, and our defense isn't going to shut out the world's best strikers. I say attack. I say go 3 strikers and push, push, push. It won't be expected and anything can happen. But that's just me.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Stout said:
I just hope we don't enter the group round with the defense-first attitude. Let's face it: We have one of the world's top keepers, and our defense isn't going to shut out the world's best strikers. I say attack. I say go 3 strikers and push, push, push. It won't be expected and anything can happen. But that's just me.

We don't have good enough strikers to do that. Our strength is in our defense, tactically I expect the team to be set up for counterattacks and to take advantage of set plays. We'll use the speed of players like Donovan and Beasley to setup the counterattack and hope to catch the opponents offguard.

I very much believe our defense can give any strikers in the world problems when they are at their best.

Stout

Reaction score
Zeno said:
We don't have good enough strikers to do that. Our strength is in our defense, tactically I expect the team to be set up for counterattacks and to take advantage of set plays. We'll use the speed of players like Donovan and Beasley to setup the counterattack and hope to catch the opponents offguard.

I very much believe our defense can give any strikers in the world problems when they are at their best.

If our strikers aren't world-class, then flood them with strikers.

Actually, I know that going all-offense probably wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe load up the midfield and allow Beasley and Donovan to press on offense more?

All I know is that if we decide to bunker in, it will be disasterous. If we go into the World Cup with a purely defend-and-counter strategy, it will probably quickly turn into a bunker mentality. I DO NOT want us to be focused on pure defense, or even simply count on the counter-attack. We MUST press from the get-go, or we are doomed.

Stout

Reaction score
English on tour said:
with Wayne Rooney prob missing the finals - it might give other teams a chance now ;)

but really - its a massive blow for England

Wow, did you see the English squad Eriksson just named? IMO, he's making some HUGE blunders.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Is Claudio Reyna healthy? How old is he now?

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Stout said:
Wow, did you see the English squad Eriksson just named? IMO, he's making some HUGE blunders.

aaron lenon - worth a risk but theo Wallcott WTF!!!!

why no shaun wright-phillips ?? he cant say its because hes not playing every game at chelsea if he has picked wallcott, no Defoe or Bent either :shrug:

shocked, very shocked!! its his last hoorah and it shows - he will get slaughtered now if we fail early on!

Stout

Reaction score
English on tour said:
aaron lenon - worth a risk but theo Wallcott WTF!!!!

why no shaun wright-phillips ?? he cant say its because hes not playing every game at chelsea if he has picked wallcott, no Defoe or Bent either :shrug:

shocked, very shocked!! its his last hoorah and it shows - he will get slaughtered now if we fail early on!

Yeah, if you guys don't win the first game, look out!

What's with taking both Rooney and Owen? If they're both healthy, they obviously start, but taking huge risks on injured players, BOTH strikers? Yikes!

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Is Claudio Reyna healthy? How old is he now?

Reyna is healthy and fit now. I watched part of the Manchester City match from this past weekend and he looked pretty good (had a rip of a shot that was saved by the keeper).

I believe he's 33 now.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Reyna is healthy and fit now. I watched part of the Manchester City match from this past weekend and he looked pretty good (had a rip of a shot that was saved by the keeper).

I believe he's 33 now.

Good to hear. I always felt bad for him because of the injuries. I hope he does well at the World Cup. :)

Compa

Registered
Reaction score
Stout said:
Yeah, if you guys don't win the first game, look out!

What's with taking both Rooney and Owen? If they're both healthy, they obviously start, but taking huge risks on injured players, BOTH strikers? Yikes!
With Crouch the only fully healthy Premier League forward, it seems that striker was not the position to gamble with. However, England does have some outstanding scoring MFs in Gerrard, Lampard, and Cole that should be able to pick up the slack if the strikers fail to get healthy and/or produce.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the May, Romania will play Columbia and then N. Ireland at Soldier's Field.

Should I go?

Stout

Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
At the end of the May, Romania will play Columbia and then N. Ireland at Soldier's Field.

Should I go?

I'd say go for the first game, but N. Ireland might have a pretty good crowd there, and they did upset England not too long ago. Might be worth a shot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05