2007 DBacks Cactus League Thread

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
DIAMONDBACKS 8, WHITE SOX 5
at Tucson, Ariz.
Thursday, March 1
Diamondbacks at the plate: Carlos Quentin homered off Lance Broadway with two outs in the fifth inning, the first of the spring for Arizona. Conor Jackson added two hits and Stephen Drew and Chris Young each reached base twice.

White Sox at the plate: Josh Fields had two hits and drove in one, while Jerry Owens reached base on an error and a walk, picking up the White Sox fourth stolen base in two games. Casey Rogowski doubled home a run in the fifth.

Diamondbacks on the mound: Brandon Webb looked sharp in his Cactus League debut, and the 2006 National League Cy Young Award winner yielded one unearned run in two innings. Webb struck out one and recorded the other five outs on ground balls.

White Sox on the mound: Javier Vazquez worked one out into the third inning, allowing five runs on six hits, and left with the bases loaded. Broadway didn't exactly help Vazquez's cause by walking in two runs and allowing a third to score on a sacrifice fly.

Cactus League records: Diamondbacks 1-0; White Sox 0-3.

Up next: The Diamondbacks host the White Sox at Tucson Electric Park, with Arizona's Livan Hernandez facing off against Jose Contreras.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Game notes: The D-backs won the Cactus League opener, 8-5, over the White Sox.
"All and all pretty good," Melvin said. "We were aggressive -- running the bases hard, getting down the line, situational stuff was good, swung the bat well. We had the yips a little bit defensively. It seemed like they were taking some funny hops out there, but we weren't real crisp, especially early on."
Left-hander Evan MacLane impressed Melvin with his two scoreless innings. ... Outfielder Dave Krenzyl had an RBI single in the seventh. "Krenzyl impressed with a big at-bat right there," Melvin said. ... Infielder Augie Ojeda was injured while turning a sixth-inning double play. "He's got a cut on both sides of his knee, but won't need stitches," Melvin said. "Made some nice plays out there, got a bunt down, made an impression today."
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...d=1821905&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

OP
OP
Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Gonzalez, Eveland keep pace
Rotation hopefuls each toss three strong frames in victory
By Steve Gilbert / MLB.com

DIAMONDBACKS 9, GIANTS 0
at Tucson, Ariz.
Monday, March 5
Giants at the plate: Mark Sweeney picked up the Giants' first hit of the game when he smacked a two-out double down the right-field line in the second inning. Among the Giants starters, Pedro Feliz and Kevin Frandsen also picked up hits.

D-backs at the plate: Chris Young did a nice job hitting a Barry Zito curveball the opposite way for a single in the third. Young also reached base on a fielder's choice in the fifth, but was picked off second later in the inning. The D-backs put the game away with a seven-run sixth inning. Justin Upton homered to center in the seventh.

Giants on the mound: Zito had his second straight good outing of the spring. The left-hander gave up three hits, though one was of the infield variety, and the lone run Arizona scored off him came on a bases-loaded balk. Russ Ortiz did not allow a hit in 2 1/3 innings, but struggled with his control as he walked three, two of which came around to score.

D-backs on the mound: Starter Enrique Gonzalez was impressive in his first outing. The right-hander, who is battling for one of the final spots in the rotation, allowed just one hit -- Sweeney's double in the second -- while working three innings. Dana Eveland, also competing for one of the final spots, matched Gonzalez over three innings.

Cactus League records: Giants 3-2; D-backs 4-1.

Up next: The Giants will play host to the Angels on Tuesday at 1:05 p.m. MT, with Matt Cain facing off against Joe Saunders. The D-backs will make their first appearance of the spring in the Phoenix area on Tuesday night when they take on the Padres in Peoria at 7:05 p.m. Brandon Webb will get the start.

Steve Gilbert is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Base

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, I'll be watching the Dbacks v Padres game tonight (I got MLBTV, I can see Dbacks games again! :D)

HooverDam

Reaction score
I wish the Dbacks-Padres game was on regular TV. I just bought MLB 2k7 and it comes w/ a free trial of MLB TV, but I think I threw away the coupon for it on accident!

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
Off topic: Oh, I love MLB 2k7! I have the PS3 version and the new controller batting is awesome. But, you got a free trial? I didn't get that when I got my copy. Weird, anyways I wouldn't recomend it until regular season, but the spring training is a nice bonus.

Well, it's just about to start now,looks like it should be good pitching matchup B. Webb vs. Chris Young. My only problem, tonights game is being broadcast only on the Padres network so all I see is Padres crap.

*sigh*

Padres tool announcer#1 "what do you think of the Diamondbacks new uniforms"
Padres tool announcer#2 "I don't like them at all, fire engine red"

I love the new unis, and these guys sound like they detest that the Diamondbacks even exist. They're picking Brandon Webb apart, and making him sound like the worst pitcher ever. He won the Cy Young! 'The hell Padres, what did Webb ever do to you! jees. Guess I'm lucky we didn't go to San Diego.

2-1 SD, Scott Hairston just hit a monster homerun!

Last edited:

HooverDam

Reaction score
I love the new unis, and these guys sound like they detest that the Diamondbacks even exist.

Actually I find that to be a VERY common reaction when I tell people I am a Diamondbacks fan. Perhaps its some inbred (and understandable) hatred for the MLB expanding too much and watering down the product, so many people I've met dislike the D'backs. Or maybe it was Colangelo's style of hired guns that won them the title, I'm not sure.

When I'm in another city or meet fans of other teams and they find out I like the Dbacks its NEVER "oh they've got a ton of young talent." Its either weird distaste for the D'backs or just saying something ******** like "people actually follow them?" or the one I heard at least half a dozen times when I was at Busch Stadium "what the heck is a Diamonback!? LOLLOLLLL!!!" What kind of an insult is that? You are trying to insult my team by showing off your ignorance?

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
Why hate one of the best expansion teams though? if any expansion team has earned the right to be made fun of or talked bad about, it's the Devil Rays. Not the team that won the World Series within 5 years of their existance.

Aside from Los Angeles I haven't really met anyone who hates the Dbacks, but after tonight, I can't stand San Diego. It's stupid that we lost to them, even if it is exibition. Hopefully we can take the season series and shock the NL West.

At least I'll always have you guys to talk Diamondbacks with, now if I could just get back to AZ.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roster moves: Including Upton, nine Diamondbacks were involved in moves on Tuesday. Upton, catcher Wilkin Castillo, and right-hander Adam Bass were reassigned.
The six players optioned were: infielders Emilio Bonifacio and Danny Richar, outfielders Carlos Gonzalez and Alex Romero and pitchers Evan MacLane and Jailen Peguero.
MacLane had been battling for the fifth spot in the rotation while Gonzalez hit .429 through 12 Cactus League games.
"Carlos Gonzalez is going to be a heck of a player," Melvin said. "This guy has a chance to be an All-Star. Bonifacio really opened up some eyes this spring. ... Evan MacLane did some good things for us, too. We just didn't have the innings to give him."
http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com...d=1842000&vkey=spt2007news&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Me and my friend got lawn seats for the Padres vs White Sox game in Peoria.
The White Sox won 11-4.

HooverDam

Reaction score
So I was watching the Dbacks v Angels game, and at 2pm, FSN switched over to Suns Insider and away from a live game- wtf? Oh FSN, can you ever do anything right?

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
So I was watching the Dbacks v Angels game, and at 2pm, FSN switched over to Suns Insider and away from a live game- wtf? Oh FSN, can you ever do anything right?
Yep I was wondering the same thing. I turned it on and it was the Suns insider. I got to thinking maybe it's a rain delay, but then I'm like no chance, it's Arizona lol.

Who knows, that was weird though.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
They just now said the reason why they were gone is because they lost electricity.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
CLEARWATER, Fla. -- The Diamondbacks may not win the NL West, but they definitely lead the league in Opening-Day-starter candidates. They have four pitchers who started Opening Day for their teams last year: Brandon Webb, Randy Johnson (Yankees), Livan Hernandez (Nationals) and Doug Davis (Brewers). The last rotation that could make that claim, according to the Elias Sports Bureau, was another Big Unit operation -- the 1997 Mariners: Johnson, Jeff Fassero (Expos), Dennis Martinez (Indians) and the unforgettable Felipe Lira (Tigers).

from ESPNInsider

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dbacks vs. Rockies game will be broadcast tomorrow at 1pm on FSN.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dbacks win it 3-2, Edgar Gonzalez had a pretty good game for Arizona. He has probably won one of the starting pitching jobs, at least until Johnson gets back.