2008 San Francisco 49ers Season thread!!

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
RT Jonas Jennings underwent surgery today on a broken knuckle on his right hand, Nolan said. Jennings will miss Thursday game against the Bears, but might be able to return to action in exhibition finale against the Chargers on Aug. 29.
WRs Arnaz Battle (hamstring), Bryant Johnson (hamstring) and Ashley Lelie (calf), as well as G David Baas (pec), RB Michael Robinson (knee) and S Lewis Baker (thigh) will not play this week. CB Tarell Brown (hip) might be available for Thursday's game, Nolan said.
No. 4 QB Kyle Wright did not practice due to knee swelling. No word on how that injury occurred.
BOTTOM LINE ON THE QB SITUATION: O'Sullivan is getting all the practice reps. On Thursday, he'll get his third start in the exhibition season. At this point, if anybody other than O'Sullivan starts the season-opener against the Cardinals on Sept. 7, it'll be a disservice to that player and the rest of the team. The number of reps in the offseason and through the first week of training camp are irrelevant. O'Sullivan is getting groomed to lead this team for the start of the regular season.
The rotation for Thursday's game is the same, Nolan said. So that means O'Sullivan will start and play the first half. Smith and Hill will finish out the game in the second half.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2253157

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Down goes Snyder....
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
The 49ers report that undrafted rookie Brian de la Puente (thank goodness for that Take 5 piece) will start Thursday's game against the Bears in place of LG Adam Snyder, who left practice yesterday with an ankle sprain. Coach Mike Nolan said Snyder may be able to return to practice next week.
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]De la Puente of Cal will start becuase he's been working at left guard with the second team. Nolan said there not enough time to move RG Tony Wragge over to that spot. (That would have enabled Chilo Rachal to start at rihttp://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2253867ght guard.)[/FONT]
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2253867

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont get this thread at all.. Why are 9ers fans talking amongst themselves on this board? What makes it odd is I dont see them talking about any other AZ team (that they may be a fan of).. Not that Im complaining that they should be some AZ team fan.. Ive fan my fill for quite a long time of half assed AZ sports fans ..

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
STOCK RISING
--QB J.T. O'Sullivan: There is little question he will be the starter. He completed 7 of 8 passes for 126 yards and a TD. As we've written in the past, things just look a lot smoother and more efficient when he's at the helm. He also avoided making the head-scratching blunder while continuing to make the positive plays.
--RB Thomas Clayton: It'll be very difficult for him to win a roster spot, but he certainly opened eyes around the league when he shrugged off Brian Urlacher's tackle attempt en route to 81 yards and a touchdown on 18 carries. It was his best game with the 49ers, and the first time he saw significant action against a No. 1 defense.
--OLB Tully Banta-Cain: Had three tackles and a quarterback pressure, as he continues to play well enough to lock down a roster spot.
--LG Brian de la Puente: Drew starting assignment due to Adam Snyder's ankle injury and appears to have made a strong case for spot on the practice squad.
--QB Shaun Hill: Folks, a strong argument can be made that he is the second-best quarterback on this roster right now. The actions of the coaching staff show that he was eliminated from contention for the starting job a while ago, but he continues to show an ability to move the football. Completed 6 of 7 passes for 60 yards.
STOCK FALLING
--QB Alex Smith: Completed just 6 of 17 pass attempts, with many of his throws bad missing the intended target. He seems to have difficulty leading his receivers. Delanie Walker was open on a crossing route, but Smith threw it behind him. Had Vernon Davis open deep, but underthrew it, allowing S Kevin Payne the opportunity to break it up. Also, misfired on pass attempts to Josh Morgan and Robert Ortiz.
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1796326

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since this is the smack shack, I just need to say:

J.T. O'Sullivan has a misshapened head. His helmet doesn't even fit. It comes down over his eyes.

What the heck is that?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hate to sound rude, but we are gonna absolutely destroy your niners this week!!!!!! Just trying to give you a heads up, as you might not want to watch the game. :)

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont get this thread at all.. Why are 9ers fans talking amongst themselves on this board? What makes it odd is I dont see them talking about any other AZ team (that they may be a fan of).. Not that Im complaining that they should be some AZ team fan.. Ive fan my fill for quite a long time of half assed AZ sports fans ..

The "A" in ASFN hasn't meant Arizona for quite awhile.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
I hate to sound rude, but we are gonna absolutely destroy your niners this week!!!!!! Just trying to give you a heads up, as you might not want to watch the game. :)

Don't get cocky, the 49ers swept the Cards last season when most Cards fans predicted it would be vice versa. Not to mention this years 49ers team is better then last year.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
So do the Cards considering they haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score

No Im from the Bay Area and all my teams are in the Bay. But I do enjoy coming to this forum and reading alot of posts (Cardinals and Suns threads). I joined last year to talk about the 49er-Cardinal opener, and I kept coming back :D

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. :)

I enjoy reading about other teams as well.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I do too :cheers: ...

Any predictions for Sundays opener?

In the Cards forum, I bet took the Cards minus the points. I think both defenses are better than average. I think the Cards win a close one and the Niners impress some on the board. :)

Cards 24
Niners 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05