2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Brazil game. Fools gold at halftime. Then talent blows you out of the water.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That chip was so freaking awesome. Best goal of the tourney IMO

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
And we need to make those shots. Dempsey & Bradley missed very close goals.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I think he could have stopped goal 1.

And goal 2 was an iffy goal.

In short..... He hasn't had the best of days either.

No, but his defense is a bunch of softies, and he is constantly having to make up for them. there were 3, at least and none of them even got close to the ball on that last goal.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
No, but his defense is a bunch of softies, and he is constantly having to make up for them. there were 3, at least and none of them even got close to the ball on that last goal.

Totally agree about the defense..... Tissue soft.

Does anyone still think Tim Ream is the future of our defense????? lol

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Lichaj (sp?) and Carlos are the only two that should see the field going forward IMO.

Ream & Goodson are total junk

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Really proud of Freddy's performance these last 2 games. The kid has grown up.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lichaj definitely has the inside track on a starting gig from here on out. Cherundolo was easily our best player this tournament but can he do it for another 3 years? Sure hope so. Its a shame we didn't get a chance to see Timmy Chandler, who's been very good in admittedly only a few outings.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really proud of Freddy's performance these last 2 games. The kid has grown up.
Yeah, not bad for a guy who's basically not played at all recently, club or international. I really hope he finds a spot where he can get consistent playing time, because the last two games have shown he's not burned out yet.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Oh well. As an American, there are at least 4 other sports to watch and cheer for. But still. **** Mexico. The last good thing to come from there was drugs.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Juan Aguedelo wasn't the striker I thought he was turning in to. Very silent.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Good win for Mexico. Showed a lot of poise after the first 25 minutes. They should be proud.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good win for Mexico. Showed a lot of poise after the first 25 minutes. They should be proud.
Yeah, soccer is funny like that. Sometimes you get waves of youth all coming at the same time with dry spells in between. They were really in trouble at one point during 2010 WC qualifying but showed how quickly it can turn around. I think we're in one of those dry spells right now particularly on defense where three of our WC starters (Boca, Dolo, and DeMerit) will be at least 34 by the time 2014 is here, and Onyewu obviously hasn't been the same since his injury. Hopefully guys like Lichaj, Chandler, Ream (obviously he was disappointing), and somebody like Omar Gonzalez can make the jump between now and then.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bill Simmons makes some good points on Twitter:

We deserve to lose for playing that game in LA, which is basically like putting it in Mexico City. Shoulda picked Seattle.
Thought Dos Santos was best guy on field. USA D was dreadful. Really bad loss. Pretty hard to give up 4 straight goals in a soccer game.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how they pick the final stadium since its a CONCACAF tourney, but sticking it in LA is probably fair since we get to host it just about every time now. Too bad UofP didn't get a game, but I guess it wasn't too surprising. I went to the games in the 2007 tourney and the lower bowl was only half full (they didn't bother to sell tickets in the upper bowl) despite that Mexico was playing.