2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup: Trip to the CONFED CUP

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Lichaj (sp?) and Carlos are the only two that should see the field going forward IMO.

Ream & Goodson are total junk

Really Carlos? He stinks...slow footed, poor passing.

Dolo, Lichaj & Chandler are our best defenders. I think Ream will only get better with experience too, then there is Omar Gonzalez and Ike Opara, the defense will be fine...it is the offense that concerns me.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
I don't know exactly how they pick the final stadium since its a CONCACAF tourney, but sticking it in LA is probably fair since we get to host it just about every time now. Too bad UofP didn't get a game, but I guess it wasn't too surprising. I went to the games in the 2007 tourney and the lower bowl was only half full (they didn't bother to sell tickets in the upper bowl) despite that Mexico was playing.

oops....

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Really Carlos? He stinks...slow footed, poor passing.

Dolo, Lichaj & Chandler are our best defenders. I think Ream will only get better with experience too, then there is Omar Gonzalez and Ike Opara, the defense will be fine...it is the offense that concerns me.

And I thought I was drunk...

I may be ignorant when it comes to US soccer, but what I've seen in the past few games I've watched has been a plank-footed, slow to react defense, while the offense creates chances from seamingly nothing. They aren't the best by any means, but they don't seem to get many chances. They capitalize on a pretty good number of those chances considering.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The finals have been in Chicago, NY/NJ and now LA...they obviously want the final in a large stadium in one of the major US cities. CONCACAF is in it to make money (which is why they throw this tourney every 2 years and it happens in the US most of the time).

Mexico deservedly won...they have some very good young players too but lets stop with the Spain comparisons.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I may be ignorant when it comes to US soccer, but what I've seen in the past few games I've watched has been a plank-footed, slow to react defense, while the offense creates chances from seamingly nothing. They aren't the best by any means, but they don't seem to get many chances. They capitalize on a pretty good number of those chances considering.
Yeah I'm more concerned about the defense than scoring as well, mostly because any time we've had success its been based on rock solid defense, conditioning, and goalkeeping, and we didn't have any of that today (I'll give Howard a pass though). Can we get all three of Dolo, Lichaj, and Chandler on the field at the same time in a way that makes sense? I'm not sure. Zeno could probably tell us more about guys like Opara and Agbossoumonde, I certainly don't get to watch as many of the youth games as I'd like to.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

When your leading scorer has 2 goals in a tournament your offense is a problem. Our defense gave up a total of 6 goals in 6 matches -- 4 in one game and 1 on a PK, thats pretty good. The problem is our centerbacks being slow and poor passers...they continue to be strong in the air but that is it. Eventually Boca & Goodson will be replaced by Ream & Opara or Gonzalez or Kitchen or Gabe Boss.

I am willing to bet 3 of our starting 4 DBs will be Lichaj, Chandler & Ream by the time WCQ ends.

When our MF can't keep possesion and our strikers show very little nose for goal it is pretty obvious where our problems lie.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're never as good as you think you are after a win or as bad as you think you are after a loss. Today was rough and I might be crazy but I actually feel better about the US going forward now that the tournament is over compared to going into it. Given the ages of our '10 WC starters it was pretty obvious this would be a really bumpy transition period, but three years is an eternity in soccer time and I think we saw little glimmers here and there from some guys that we weren't really expecting from (Adu, Lichaj, and to a lesser extent Bedoya) that can be built on. Adding Holden and Chandler plus Feilhaber off the bench will help, but unfortunately except for a few friendlies the next time we're really going to see everybody is when 2014 qualifying starts next summer.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and for the record. I'm not better than that. I have a Hispanic last name so nah nah nah nah nah.

I never met anyone with the surname of Poo...quite unusual, well except Winnie

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
When your leading scorer has 2 goals in a tournament your offense is a problem. Our defense gave up a total of 6 goals in 6 matches -- 4 in one game and 1 on a PK, thats pretty good. The problem is our centerbacks being slow and poor passers...they continue to be strong in the air but that is it. Eventually Boca & Goodson will be replaced by Ream & Opara or Gonzalez or Kitchen or Gabe Boss.

I am willing to bet 3 of our starting 4 DBs will be Lichaj, Chandler & Ream by the time WCQ ends.

When our MF can't keep possesion and our strikers show very little nose for goal it is pretty obvious where our problems lie.

There's a big problem when the other team is constantly pressing, and it takes them missing a shot to get us to clear it. Panama should have beat us, as we backed down and just outlasted them. Mexico is talented enough to exploit that. I'm not saying I'm not concerned about the offense, just don't think they are the main problem.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
There's a big problem when the other team is constantly pressing, and it takes them missing a shot to get us to clear it. Panama should have beat us, as we backed down and just outlasted them. Mexico is talented enough to exploit that. I'm not saying I'm not concerned about the offense, just don't think they are the main problem.

We should have beat Panama easily had we had guys who could finish, even with 2 early missteps on defense. When your MF can't maintain possesion your defense is going to be constantly under pressure...thats a fact at any level. Keeping the ball and scoring goals is a much bigger issue than our defense. The US hasn't had a consistent goal scorer since McBride and even he wasn't a guy who could create on his own..the closest we have are Dempsey & Donovan.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
We should have beat Panama easily had we had guys who could finish, even with 2 early missteps on defense. When your MF can't maintain possesion your defense is going to be constantly under pressure...thats a fact at any level. Keeping the ball and scoring goals is a much bigger issue than our defense. The US hasn't had a consistent goal scorer since McBride and even he wasn't a guy who could create on his own..the closest we have are Dempsey & Donovan.

You're making me sad. :(

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BTW we have very little to look forward to at Striker because watching the U17's and U20's sure doesn't give me much hope there. We have a couple of decent MF and a handful more defenders but I am concerned.

We have to hope that at least one of Gatt, Gyau, Doyle, Salgado, Agudelo, McInerney develop in to at least a serviceable striker...but as of now they aren't terribly impressive (Gatt & Gyau will probably end up in the MF as it is).

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW we have very little to look forward to at Striker because watching the U17's and U20's sure doesn't give me much hope there. We have a couple of decent MF and a handful more defenders but I am concerned.

We have to hope that at least one of Gatt, Gyau, Doyle, Salgado, Agudelo, McInerney develop in to at least a serviceable striker...but as of now they aren't terribly impressive (Gatt & Gyau will probably end up in the MF as it is).
I forgot until now that the U20s didn't qualify for the WC thanks to that Guatemala loss, that burns.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wonder if we will see Yevgeni Starikov at forward in an upcoming friendly. Born in Ukraine, grew up in California, got a call up for the US this past January but didn't play, and now he's on loan in the Russian top league.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I forgot until now that the U20s didn't qualify for the WC thanks to that Guatemala loss, that burns.

U17's advanced from their group but this should sound familiar...

The Americans held the advantage in shots, shots on goal, corners, and possession, but the young Yanks were unable to find a finishing touch

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wonder if we will see Yevgeni Starikov at forward in an upcoming friendly. Born in Ukraine, grew up in California, got a call up for the US this past January but didn't play, and now he's on loan in the Russian top league.

Yeah he is playing in Siberia, on loan from Zenit St Petersburg I believe (Arshavins original club)...we might as well see what he can do because really we are desperate.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah he is playing in Siberia, on loan from Zenit St Petersburg I believe (Arshavins original club)...we might as well see what he can do because really we are desperate.
Yep I'd bring him into the first WC qualifier next summer just to get him cap tied (ditto for Chandler, but he'd be brought in regardless). I think there are a handful of candidates looking for a home, like David Williams the defender in the Bundesliga (IIRC, been on the bench for SC Freiburg). Can't recall any of the other dual citizens still sitting on the fence?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yep I'd bring him into the first WC qualifier next summer just to get him cap tied (ditto for Chandler, but he'd be brought in regardless). I think there are a handful of candidates looking for a home, like David Williams the defender in the Bundesliga (IIRC, been on the bench for SC Freiburg). Can't recall any of the other dual citizens still sitting on the fence?

Danny Mwanga is close to his US citizenship but could represent Congo (doubt he does it as the gov't there killed his father)...it would be nice to see Najar change his mind after Honduras chose not to include him on their GC roster.

and let me add DAMN you Guiseppe Rossi!!

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Danny Mwanga is close to his US citizenship but could represent Congo (doubt he does it as the gov't there killed his father)...it would be nice to see Najar change his mind after Honduras chose not to include him on their GC roster.

and let me add DAMN you Guiseppe Rossi!!
Yeah seriously, although picking through the leftovers of Honduras doesn't fill me with confidence.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I guess Sebastien Le Toux says he's willing to play for the US if he can get citizenship, but I think we've had our fill of guys who light is up in the MLS but nowhere else.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Oh, and I guess Sebastien Le Toux says he's willing to play for the US if he can get citizenship, but I think we've had our fill of guys who light is up in the MLS but nowhere else.

Face it the US is desperate to find true goal scorers...we have to look under every rock. Lets hope Davies (the diver LOL) gets healthy too, he scored again for DC United.

Oh and let me add we need a new coach, Bradley just isn't good enough to get us to the next level. The team is rarely prepared from the opening whistle and he is slow to make tactical adjustments...no it isn't all his fault, our pool isn't especially deep, but sometimes a change of leadership does wonders.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Face it the US is desperate to find true goal scorers...we have to look under every rock. Lets hope Davies (the diver LOL) gets healthy too, he scored again for DC United.

Oh and let me add we need a new coach, Bradley just isn't good enough to get us to the next level. The team is rarely prepared from the opening whistle and he is slow to make tactical adjustments...no it isn't all his fault, our pool isn't especially deep, but sometimes a change of leadership does wonders.
Indeed. They should be announcing some fall friendlies soon which would be a good opportunity to see where Davies is at. SI ran an article not too long ago that had a tidbit about Bradley's results compared to Arena's. The numbers are eerily similar, not exactly the progress you'd hope for. I think our problems are overwhelmingly related to depth rather than coaching, is Jurgen Klinsmann really the savior some fans claim to be? I don't know but I'd be willing to give it a try.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I admitted ealier, I'm not really afan of soccer...think tonights game was the first complete game for me ever...may have watched parts of other US games in gold cup or olympics or world cup or something.

I watched tonights complete game for a couple of reasons. I was born here and am an American and I like to see our teams win. Also, I know lots of people from Mexico and they are really passionate about it, so I've learned a little from them, I speak passible Spanish so it's fun for me to watch....to me it looks like hockey on grass, except I know marginally more about hockey from watching more of it.... .plus I've put in a fair amount of time learning Spanish and it helps me a lot listening to the broadcats in Spanisn....but I digress....

My question is, since to my untrained eye for the game, the Mexican team was far superiour in individiual perfomances as was their team in the offensive zone. Where are our guys like that?

imho, in a game like soccer you have to have guys that can run like the wind, be very skilful in ball handleing and be totally aware of what's going on in the game....succintly put...great athletes that can run and are smart team players.

The USA just doesnt' seem to have those types of players who can do it at this level (I have no clue how much coaching plays into all this) I know there are the main sports that attract the great big money players, but why can't soccer attact some of these men? Is it money, prestige, love of the game?, is the system screwed up or what?..it can't be the women...I mean I got laid playing high school football for crying out loud...lol

I guess the last thing that puzzles me is I see these youth soccer leagues all over the place. Tons of American kids playing the game. seems like they've been doing it for many years and why is it no great American players are coming from the ranks of our youngsters?

just a few questions from a neophyte....

thx

ps...are hooligans just Raider fans watching soccer?

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
One thing about Mexico, this is a new type of Mexican player, these guys don't give up and get dirty like previous Mexican teams. In previous years getting them down 2-0 would have resulted in hacking and cards...this group is much more resilient.