2014 Draft morphing

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No way would the Magic pick Smart over Embiid. Don't see how Philly could pass on him either.

I say we trade up to #7. Give the Lakers #18, #27 and their 2015 pick.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No way would the Magic pick Smart over Embiid. Don't see how Philly could pass on him either.

I could see Philly trading #10 and #3 for #2 and taking Wiggins. They already have a big in Noel and Exum and MCW are clones. Milwaukee would do it too because they need multiple players.

I guess the key with Embiid will be how his back tests out.

The Lakers trade is not a bad idea. I am afraid they are going to be bad enough for us to not get that pick (of the 4 worst records) or they are going to get an impact player at #7, resign Gasol (one year), Kobe comes back and produces, and they are in the 10-15 range. Either way, its not ideal for the Suns. Then the Lakers can be in control of their own 2015 draft.

Hopefully Randle falls to 7. It would be Randle, Vonleh, or Gordon.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that the lottery is done, there are new questions.

1. If Cleveland does not trade this pick who do they take. This team has missed too often on draft picks, and I do not think they are under the illusion that LeBron is coming back. They have to take the surest bet and that's Jabari Parker. The rub? What if Parker looks at the way things are shaking out and decides to stay in school?
2. The Bucks could take Embiid here, but there are the issues with his back. Philly fans are begging the Bucks to take Embiid. In the end, they have to take Wiggins.
3. Now what does Philly do? Do they take another injured seven footer? No. They either trade out of this pick or they take Exum.
4. Now the Magic are on the clock. Smart or Embiid. Smart would pair with Oladipo well. Embiid slides again.
5. Utah. This team won't mess around. They take the BPA and forget positions. Embiid goes here.
6. Celtics. They will probably trade this pick or try to trade it for Love. Either way, a pf goes here. I think Vonleh will be the hot commodity by draft day. Vonleh.
7. Lakers take Randle or Vonleh, whoever is left. They will draft a player.
8. This pick will likely be traded. At this point there are too many unknowns. The Kings want veteran production. This is the point where the draft becomes completely unpredictable.

Can he still do that? I thought they had to pull out of the draft sometime in April or lose their eligibility. The rule changes often enough that I could be mistaken but I seem to remember them moving the date up not too long ago. And I don't see anyone taking Smart before the big six. It will go Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Exum and Vonleh in no particular order and if someone else does break into that top 6, it will likely be Gordon. But if Embiid's back tests well, I think he's a lock for the top spot.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

I see no reason that the Lakers would do that trade. They believe themselves to be in win-now mode, and will want as close as they can get to an immediate impact player.

On the other hand, the Kings are apparently shopping #8.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the most important measurement but that doesn't mean it's useless. I think the difference between height and either wingspan or standing reach is probably the most important. But if you don't have height and you're going to play an inside position, you need extra length and some girth too. When you look at a college player and it's obvious he lacks the girth, height gains in relevance.

Steve

not to nitpick here, but if you are going to play inside you want length, strength/weight, and athleticism/agility. It just doesn't matter whether you are a couple inches shorter/taller from head to toe. I mean I posted that because I was reading an argument about the difference between height measurements barefoot/in shoes. First of all nobody really talks about anybody's height without shoes. The players wear shoes when they play and at the very most we are talking about half an inch that somebody is fudging wearing extra tall shoes. And then it's just not really an important measurement anyways.

There are so many absolutes people are posting here a month and a few days before the draft. "There's no way this team is passing on this player." "This player is not falling out of the top 10." There is so much that could/will still happen in the next month and then during the draft we are always shocked when some player falls or some team seemingly reaches for another player.

I do think it should take something pretty special to pry the Lakers and Timberwolves picks from our hands. Even if they kept Kevin love or get something great in return for him it's hard to imagine Minnesota making the playoffs next year.

At this point I think I worry most about us making a panic move to parlay some of these draft picks into something better. Then in two years we are kicking ourselves because there were so many really good players there to be had if we had just stayed put.

Joe

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not to nitpick here, but if you are going to play inside you want length, strength/weight, and athleticism/agility. It just doesn't matter whether you are a couple inches shorter/taller from head to toe. I mean I posted that because I was reading an argument about the difference between height measurements barefoot/in shoes. First of all nobody really talks about anybody's height without shoes. The players wear shoes when they play and at the very most we are talking about half an inch that somebody is fudging wearing extra tall shoes. And then it's just not really an important measurement anyways.

There are so many absolutes people are posting here a month and a few days before the draft. "There's no way this team is passing on this player." "This player is not falling out of the top 10." There is so much that could/will still happen in the next month and then during the draft we are always shocked when some player falls or some team seemingly reaches for another player.

I do think it should take something pretty special to pry the Lakers and Timberwolves picks from our hands. Even if they kept Kevin love or get something great in return for him it's hard to imagine Minnesota making the playoffs next year.

At this point I think I worry most about us making a panic move to parlay some of these draft picks into something better. Then in two years we are kicking ourselves because there were so many really good players there to be had if we had just stayed put.

Joe

That's just not the case Joe. It's well documented, there has been more than a two inch discrepancy between how some players measure in shoes versus bare feet. Yes, they all play in shoes but when some players increase by a half inch and others increase by two or more inches, it clouds the picture and has a lot to do with why so many people think height means nothing. There's a good article about this, on ESPN I believe, about Kevin Love and liars in shoes (or something like that).

Like you, I worry about us making a move to parlay some of these picks into something better but I think using the word "panic" is unjustified. I think you can make a mistake without panicking. For some reason, this front office seems convinced that we can't handle three more rookies and they are apparently determined to trade at least one of them away. I disagree with that stance but it's a reasoned move on their part, not one of panic.

As for absolutes, I usually stay away from them. Most of my comments are hedged but I'm pretty confident about one thing in this draft. Randle will not be a bust. I don't know where he's going but some of the teams that pass on him will regret it. I don't think there's another player in this draft that has as high of a floor as he does. I'm not convinced his ceiling matches up with Wiggins, Parker, Embiid or even Vonleh but odds are at least one of those four will bust and Randle won't (barring injury or something off court). He's also one of the youngest players in this draft so even though he already has an NBA-worthy offensive game he has plenty of time to develop. I expect him to battle Parker for ROY.

Steve

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see no reason that the Lakers would do that trade. They believe themselves to be in win-now mode, and will want as close as they can get to an immediate impact player.

On the other hand, the Kings are apparently shopping #8.

The question is whether #8 gives us an opportunity for that much of a better player than we could get at #14. To me, this draft really evens out at about the 8th pick.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
not to nitpick here, but if you are going to play inside you want length, strength/weight, and athleticism/agility. It just doesn't matter whether you are a couple inches shorter/taller from head to toe.

I think it matters a little with respect to vision. Not everyone's eyes are the same distance from the top of their head, but it's close. One advantage of being taller -- not just longer-limbed, but actually taller -- is that you don't have to work so hard to see over things.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it matters a little with respect to vision. Not everyone's eyes are the same distance from the top of their head, but it's close. One advantage of being taller -- not just longer-limbed, but actually taller -- is that you don't have to work so hard to see over things.

If you are taller, but with a shorter wingspan, you are actually at a disadvantage for steals, especially low passes etc. You don't just reach up, its also out and down. Players can make up for it some by stooping, bending knees, moving feet, and jumping, but nothing is a fast as a reach, especially when out of position.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed in the first 26 pages but what do people think of Marcus Smart?

I think terrific college player might be an NBA starter. I think his defense is good but partly because he's so physical and I'm not sure he can overpower NBA guards the way he did in college. He is very unique, 227 pounds at the 1 is not common. I don't think he's quick enough, don't think he shoots well enough to play the 2, so I see him as a real tweener.

I've seen him projected as high as 7th which frankly surprises me. He plays hard but his limitations combined with some loss of temper this year I'd expect him to fall out of the top 10.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I wouldn't want Smart. Terrible shooter, low efficiency and everytime I watched him I thought he looked somewhat slow.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Smart but don't see why the Suns would draft him. He has incredibly long arms and big hands. He is also very strong. He has some similarities to Bledsoe, but probably not as fast and not as good a finisher.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Probably been discussed in the first 26 pages but what do people think of Marcus Smart?

I think terrific college player might be an NBA starter. I think his defense is good but partly because he's so physical and I'm not sure he can overpower NBA guards the way he did in college. He is very unique, 227 pounds at the 1 is not common. I don't think he's quick enough, don't think he shoots well enough to play the 2, so I see him as a real tweener.

I've seen him projected as high as 7th which frankly surprises me. He plays hard but his limitations combined with some loss of temper this year I'd expect him to fall out of the top 10.

I like Smart a lot. He's a good combo guard, a la Bledsoe, but neither a PG nor a SG. Not sure I like him enough to trade up to #8 to get him, but I'd take him at #14.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I wouldn't even take him at #14. I actually think if we go with a pure guard prospect that Lavine would actually thrive in our system and could take full advantage of the athleticism.

I actually like all 3 UCLA prospects. I'd take Lavine at #14, Anderson at #18 and Adams at #27.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Smart fan, I'd rather have Elfrid Payton and he might still be there when we pick at the bottom of the round. He fits better with our style and I could see him backing up Bledsoe and Dragic as a combo guard that can run the offense.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Young - Kentucky. Does he last till the #14? How do you like his game?

Enough similarity to Kawhi Leonard?

Better defender at this stage and less likely to just settle for a shot which was one of Leonard's biggest college weaknesses IIRC. I like him a lot and think there is a decent chance he falls to our spot. But I'm not a huge Leonard fan so if that's his NBA duplicate I might think of passing on him.

Steve

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a Smart fan, I'd rather have Elfrid Payton and he might still be there when we pick at the bottom of the round. He fits better with our style and I could see him backing up Bledsoe and Dragic as a combo guard that can run the offense.

Steve

That's a kid I love too Payton. I think he's underrated.

Smart to me with Kyle are the 2 toughest guys to forecast, there's just not that many guys like them around to project on.

I think Smart's not really a PG, he's just a very good basketball player but not sure if that will carry over as well in theNBA. I have less personal concerns with him than I do with LaVine, it really bugged me how Zach shut it down once he decided to go pro, I don't know that a kid that can flip that switch off that easily is all that desirable to me. Smart plays much harder I think he'll get control of his temper, but he can't shoot.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James Young - Kentucky. Does he last till the #14? How do you like his game?

Enough similarity to Kawhi Leonard?

Of all the UK kids he was the one in the class I liked the least before he got to college and is now the kid I like the most.

Just really grew on me, understands the game and can really shoot it. Stroke looks better than his numbers but I honestly attribute that to UK. They don't run a ton of plays and they didn't have a PG so they sort of wasted his shooting IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake