2014 Draft morphing

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of fixing a shot, our head coach is one of the all-time best examples of fixing his own shot. He went on to become one of the best shooters in NBA history. So, he knows a thing or two about shot fixing. :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Speaking of fixing a shot, our head coach is one of the all-time best examples of fixing his own shot. He went on to become one of the best shooters in NBA history.

He shot 49% in college, so whatever "fixing" he needed to undergo, it happened before he hit the NBA.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
He shot 49% in college, so whatever "fixing" he needed to undergo, it happened before he hit the NBA.

Also, one of my pet peeves is assuming that the ability to do something is equal to the ability to teach other people how to do it. I do believe that Hornacek is an outstanding teacher, but at the end of the day, it is up to the student to embrace what the teacher is trying to tech him and make it happen.

This is really no different than a boss- employee relationship, or professor- student relationship. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Alternatively, you can lead someone to university, but you can't make him think.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I do believe that Hornacek is an outstanding teacher, but at the end of the day, it is up to the student to embrace what the teacher is trying to tech him and make it happen.

This is really no different than a boss- employee relationship, or professor- student relationship. You can lead the horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Alternatively, you can lead someone to university, but you can't make him think.

And not only that, but the student has to have some amount of innate ability. I could work with the best shooting coaches in the world and I'd never get any good at it. There's something weirdly loose in my wrist that doesn't allow me to control the ball during the release. Desire, good teaching, and hard work aren't always enough to become expert at something.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't know about how Hornacek shot 49% in college but his shot looked horrible when I attended his first Suns training camp. His shot as I recall curved sideways and was unusual to say the least. In training camp the Suns staff taped a couple of fingers together on his shooting hand and perfected his shot as we know it today.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about how Hornacek shot 49% in college but his shot looked horrible when I attended his first Suns training camp. His shot as I recall curved sideways and was unusual to say the least. In training camp the Suns staff taped a couple of fingers together on his shooting hand and perfected his shot as we know it today.

Yep, you're hip on it, Main. He became an even better shooter in the pros. In fact, an all-time great.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it weird that PHX is working out a lot of guys slated for the second round? I saw a trade scenario on Bleacher Report (I know its Bleacher Report) with PHX offering all 3 first rounders plus Len for Love, could that be the offer on the table for Love? I just find it odd that only a few first round prospects have been brought in especially when players tend to stop workouts as the draft gets closer for fear of risking injury. Aren't teams limited in the number of players they can bring in for workouts?

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it weird that PHX is working out a lot of guys slated for the second round? I saw a trade scenario on Bleacher Report (I know its Bleacher Report) with PHX offering all 3 first rounders plus Len for Love, could that be the offer on the table for Love? I just find it odd that only a few first round prospects have been brought in especially when players tend to stop workouts as the draft gets closer for fear of risking injury. Aren't teams limited in the number of players they can bring in for workouts?

Paul Coro has said the Suns will not use all of their three first round draft picks. It's just too many rookies to add. My thinking is if the Suns do a major trade involving first round draft picks they will be trying to get second round draft picks in return. I do like the talent available in the second round.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are working out the following players today:

Paul Coro @paulcoro · 3h

Today's #Suns workout: L'ville PG R. Smith, Stan PF D. Powell, Duke SG A. Dawkins, NMSU PG Williams, Pitt SG Patterson, Davidson PF Brooks.

https://twitter.com/paulcoro

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Paul Coro has said the Suns will not use all of their three first round draft picks. It's just too many rookies to add. My thinking is if the Suns do a major trade involving first round draft picks they will be trying to get second round draft picks in return.

But that makes no sense. How is it easier to develop two first-rounders and two second-rounders than it would be to develop three first-rounders? If the Suns can't talk themselves into three first-round picks, they should trade for first-rounders in a future years, not second-rounders this year.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns are working out the following players today:

https://twitter.com/paulcoro

That is clearly not true, I am not in Phoenix working out with the Suns!

Russ Smith is another kid I'm pulling for just because of his name. I hope he gets a shot for defense, hes' a 2 in a PG body but such a tough kid. I still get friend requests on FB from sportswriters who seem to think I'm him.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is clearly not true, I am not in Phoenix working out with the Suns!

Russ Smith is another kid I'm pulling for just because of his name. I hope he gets a shot for defense, hes' a 2 in a PG body but such a tough kid. I still get friend requests on FB from sportswriters who seem to think I'm him.

No excuses. It's your job to make the team! ;)

Errntknght

Reaction score

I can imagine a couple of reasons why their looking at so many probable second rounders. 1) McD knows what he'd going to do with picks 14 & 17 so he's looking for someone worth reaching for at 27 - in case no one he covets falls that far. 2) Its a training exercise for his assistants and scouts. While the first rounders might not put up with that kind of treatment, the second rounders are probably happy to be invited anyplace.

Could be a bit of both, too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that makes no sense. How is it easier to develop two first-rounders and two second-rounders than it would be to develop three first-rounders? If the Suns can't talk themselves into three first-round picks, they should trade for first-rounders in a future years, not second-rounders this year.

Just speculating but perhaps the Suns plan to use some or all of their first round draft picks in a major trade but expect to be getting some second round picks in return as a spinoff. A major trade could well involve a third team.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score

The Suns have been consistent every year with the workout schedule. They always start out with second round/ undrafted type players for the first week or two. Then they start bringing in the better first round type of players. After the upper echelon players come in, they usually will have second workouts for the players they like (both first and second round material).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

+1. Yeah don't see the logic in turning 1st rounders into 2 rounders in this draft especially when Mainstreet referenced Coro saying PHX will not want 3 rookies on the team. I think the whole we don't want 3 rookies on this team is a dumb philosophy. At one point OKC was the youngest team in the league because they accumulated draft picks and their scouting department did a wonderful job analyzing talent so management made the right picks. If PHX can't find the right deal, then they should keep the picks and get players who could play the 2 or 3 or provide depth on the bench. The argument that well there young and won't contribute right away is crap as there are a lot of 22 - 23 year old SR's who helped their teams in the tournament (Napier, McDermott, Early, Payne, R. Smith, etc) who could come in right away and help. Now if they can actually turn the picks into Kevin Love then by all means pull the trigger but aside from that kind of deal or a trade up into Top 3, keep he picks and hopefully scouting department strike gold.

The Suns have been consistent every year with the workout schedule. They always start out with second round/ undrafted type players for the first week or two. Then they start bringing in the better first round type of players. After the upper echelon players come in, they usually will have second workouts for the players they like (both first and second round material).

Hopefully this is the case, I just feel there must be a deal in the works going on behind the scenes which could also explain this.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can imagine a couple of reasons why their looking at so many probable second rounders. 1) McD knows what he'd going to do with picks 14 & 17 so he's looking for someone worth reaching for at 27 - in case no one he covets falls that far. 2) Its a training exercise for his assistants and scouts. While the first rounders might not put up with that kind of treatment, the second rounders are probably happy to be invited anyplace.

Could be a bit of both, too.

Yes. There are so many reasons. They could be packaging picks to move up in the first round AND the second round. They do have a second rounder already and they want to make that pick count too. This is a draft where some real gems could come from the second round. They also could be interested in trading first rounders for an established player AND a second rounder.

I would even consider trading the Minny pick for a high second rounder in this draft if the right player is available.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. There are so many reasons. They could be packaging picks to move up in the first round AND the second round. They do have a second rounder already and they want to make that pick count too. This is a draft where some real gems could come from the second round. They also could be interested in trading first rounders for an established player AND a second rounder.

I would even consider trading the Minny pick for a high second rounder in this draft if the right player is available.

Something to consider, Minnesota has three second round picks in the upcoming draft at #40, #44 and #53.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Mario Hezonja looks impressive on YouTube and Kristaps Porzingis, as well. Hezonja has some Gordon Hayward abilities, the same Hayward I favored and beat a dead horse with!!

Clint Capela looked good too, but that was weeks/month ago that last saw him. Haven't seen Dario Saric much but he's another guy I like... Puh lease get one of these International guys!! Artem Klimenko not quite as high on as the others but I wanted Plumlee and Len last year on this Team... Klimenko can be stashed but I'd like to keep Plumlee/Len!

Any other International Prospects I should keep eye on??

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hezonja is not in this draft I believe.

Very talented, he would be a no-brainer pick for the Suns. His biggest knock is that he has a difficult character - selfish, cocky, lazy..

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Bummer, I saw his name several times at Mock Draft tracker at Arizonasports.com - maybe he pulled out of Draft.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If he was in this draft there would be no chance of him falling to #14. Even if he said he would not come over until 2015 he would be a lock for top 10.

Between him and Exum it is not certain who is the better talent.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A player I have taken an early liking is Jarnell Stokes. Rebounding usually translates to the NBA. The Suns need someone down low.

Superbone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hezonja is not in this draft I believe.

Very talented, he would be a no-brainer pick for the Suns. His biggest knock is that he has a difficult character - selfish, cocky, lazy..

Bad combination.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake