2014 Draft morphing

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

46" vertical at Lakers workout

Still by far my favorite for the #14 pick. And I would not trade this pick to trade up unless it was for one of the top 3 or Lavine was certain to go before us which is probable.

At #18 I am thinking Payton, Warren or Capela.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The following players worked for the Suns today per Paul Coro:

Paul Coro @paulcoro · 6h

Today's #Suns workout: Lafayette PG Elfrid Payton, NCSU SF TJ Warren, UA PG Nick Johnson, ISU F M. Ejim, Tenn St F S. Jones, UNLV F R. Smith

https://twitter.com/paulcoro

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I really like Young & Payton at 14 & 18. PHX could then take Capela at 27 and stash him in Europe until he fills out. Then take a project big man in Round 2 (Birch or Austin) and hopefully they earn a roster spot if not its only a second rounder.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Young & Payton at 14 & 18. PHX could then take Capela at 27 and stash him in Europe until he fills out. Then take a project big man in Round 2 (Birch or Austin) and hopefully they earn a roster spot if not its only a second rounder.

I'm thinking go BPA with #14 and #18 as you imply. I'm not locked into selecting Capela at #27 because there are a lot of good players in this draft. I am wary of losing a player overseas with nothing in return.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he is the best power forward and second best big man. I doubt the jazz (or anyone) will trade out if he is available.

I understand he would be BPA but Utah already has Kanter & Favors and could really use a wing player particularly if they let Hayward walk. I think Exum is their guy if ORL goes with Smart.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I understand he would be BPA but Utah already has Kanter & Favors and could really use a wing player particularly if they let Hayward walk. I think Exum is their guy if ORL goes with Smart.

If that's the case, maybe we can trade up to 6 or 7 for him...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

46" vertical at Lakers workout

Still by far my favorite for the #14 pick. And I would not trade this pick to trade up unless it was for one of the top 3 or Lavine was certain to go before us which is probable.

At #18 I am thinking Payton, Warren or Capela.

The crazy thing is with all that hops he did very little at UCLA. He had a bunch of highlight reel dunks on runouts in the OOC creampuff games. In the Duke loss he had a big dunk in transition, grabbed his wrist after it, and basically the rest of the year he hardly dunked. He played big minutes the whole season wtih a 46 inch vert at 6'5" and blocked SIX shots, 2 more than Bryce Alford, one more than Jordan Adams who can't jump a lick.

He's the absolute definition of a workout warrior, has obvious talents but in the real games this past year he was largely a non factor or a negative.

Really interesting study in can he flip the switch and play hard in the NBA.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Btw I love that Archie Goodwin is in the gym every day and does parts of the workout all the time.
That kid has a great work ethic. Hopefully we keep at least 2 picks and Goodwin can lead the new guys by example when it comes to working hard.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw I love that Archie Goodwin is in the gym every day and does parts of the workout all the time.
That kid has a great work ethic. Hopefully we keep at least 2 picks and Goodwin can lead the new guys by example when it comes to working hard.

Agreed. Love seeing that.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I was stoked when the Suns picked him last year and he has not disappointed so far

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hypothetically speaking if all picks in this draft were available and all teams were interested in Archie Goodwin. How high would the pick have to be before you would pull the trigger on a trade?

Personally I think #5 would be the earliest I would consider it. That is how high I am on Archie Goodwin as a prospect.
I don't think I would want to have any guard in this draft over Archie Goodwin except MAYBE Exum but I am not certain about that. I like Exum as well.

Marcus Smart on the other hand? I would bet on Goodwin instead, not a fan of Smart at all.

In my opinion Goodwin is a better prospect than Smart, Harris, Stauskas etc and ironically he is still younger than them.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The hype for Zach Lavine reminds me of the hype for Jeremy Lamb a couple years back.

Both had same criticisms and strengths also. Very athletic, shooter but tends to get invisible in games.

Lamb has turned out as a bust. OKC desperately needed firepower off the bench and despite the defenses focusing on Westbrook and Durant, Lamb hasn't been able to do much of anything.

Is Lavine gonna turn out like Lamb?

And I don't understand why Suns fans want him. How is he any different than Gerald Green? We already have a VERY strong backcourt. Why waste a lottery pick on yet another guard? Front court is where need help. Leave the backcourt alone. And no we can't draft Lavine "assuming" that Bledsoe is gonna leave. Nobody knows what he's gonna do and even if Bledsoe leaves, our front court still needs more help than a backcourt featuring Dragic/Green.

I would rather just wait and develop Goodwin than get yet another guard.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hype for Zach Lavine reminds me of the hype for Jeremy Lamb a couple years back.

Both had same criticisms and strengths also. Very athletic, shooter but tends to get invisible in games.

Lamb has turned out as a bust. OKC desperately needed firepower off the bench and despite the defenses focusing on Westbrook and Durant, Lamb hasn't been able to do much of anything.

Is Lavine gonna turn out like Lamb?

And I don't understand why Suns fans want him. How is he any different than Gerald Green? We already have a VERY strong backcourt. Why waste a lottery pick on yet another guard? Front court is where need help. Leave the backcourt alone. And no we can't draft Lavine "assuming" that Bledsoe is gonna leave. Nobody knows what he's gonna do and even if Bledsoe leaves, our front court still needs more help than a backcourt featuring Dragic/Green.

I would rather just wait and develop Goodwin than get yet another guard.

Where are you getting this from? Is Realgm abuzz with the possibility of the Suns drafting him? He's certainly not a dream target on this board. He's been mentioned a few times but I can only think of one poster that's pushed for him.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Where are you getting this from? Is Realgm abuzz with the possibility of the Suns drafting him? He's certainly not a dream target on this board. He's been mentioned a few times but I can only think of one poster that's pushed for him.

Steve

I have seen it on RealGM and on some of his links and videos, I have seen people post stuff like "Oh he'd be perfect for us, come on draft him Suns etc".

Lot of mocks had him coming to us as well.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Lamb is not a good comparison at all.

And LaVine is likely further along than Green at the same age.

He thrives in the running game, which makes him a perfect fit on this team. He did very well in the Suns running drill (28 laps) which ties him for workout maximum so far.

He can shoot - fit
He can run - fit
He has some combo potential - fit
He is very athletic - fit
He has high ceiling - fit

Green might have had simply a fluke year last year, Green does not handle the ball well at all. He should get stronger so he can play SF more.

Green only has a year on his contract.

Due to their combo skills Lavine and Goodwin could play together in the future.

And your reason against Lavine makes little sense. You copied that entire post from realgm so not sure you even posted this but yes of course our frontcourt needs more help but that help won't come from the draft. The draft is there so we can get the best prospects not fill our biggest needs. We have capspace for that.
Jabari Parker, Embiid and Andrew Wiggins are the only players in this draft that would fix our needs because I believe they would instantly play 24+mpg for us.

I'd be thrilled if Lavine was there at #14, unfortunately that looks unlikely.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan Majerle already had knee surgery and screws in his ankles when he came out of college.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake