2014 NFL Draft: Prospects Too Good To Pass On

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Barr was also shut down against UofA. That'd make at least two consecutive games in which he didn't contribute (without me looking anything up).

I don't care for prospects who don't have a continuous motor, particularly pass rushers.

I just don't see the Cardinals drafting Anthony Barr in the first round after Bruce Arians said they are looking for a 'plug and play' choice. Barr has a lot of upside but..........

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keep up the no thanks to Barr selection folks...great smoke screen. If by miracle he is there at #20 I do not see anyone being there that ARZ should pass on Barr for. I mean yeah...boo Anthony Barr...he's terrible.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I think Gilbert, Donald and Lewan will be gone for sure. There are a slew

of teams that could use Lewan. I was watching the path to the draft

mock last week and used this thread as a guide. I wanted to see if our

pick would be one of these 4 players. When Donald, Gilbert and Lewan

went off the board Bridgewater was the last one left. Sure enough he

was the pick. I think in real life Arians will pass on Teddy. He likes the

Tall 230-240 pounders with strong arms. That isnt Teddy by a long shot.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, but who's trading up at that point? Cleveland didn't like him enough to use their top pick on him, but they'd give up Indy's pick plus more to take him later?

Who's still available to the Cards at #20 in a scenario where Bridgewater falls that would be a superior prospect? That's kind of the discussion that I'm trying to have here.

It depends how the top 10 goes. Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Minnesota all need a QB in round 1 or 2. Imagine a scenario where Cleveland and either Houston or Jacksonville doesn't go QB top 10. TB is sitting there at 20. Does it not stand to reason that Houston or Jacksonville would be interested in trading up before Cleveland can take him?

As for who's there that's a superior prospect, that's not really the right question to ask. He might be the best player left, but is he that much better than the 3 extra picks combined that we'd get from trading down? Consider that we're likely to get 0 snaps out of a QB year 1 and if Palmer has a great year we'll try to extend him for a couple. This is why QB in round 1 is not good value regardless of who's still on the board.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe, but who's trading up at that point? Cleveland didn't like him enough to use their top pick on him, but they'd give up Indy's pick plus more to take him later?

Who's still available to the Cards at #20 in a scenario where Bridgewater falls that would be a superior prospect? That's kind of the discussion that I'm trying to have here.

It depends how the top 10 goes. Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Minnesota all need a QB in round 1 or 2. Imagine a scenario where Cleveland and either Houston or Jacksonville doesn't go QB top 10. TB is sitting there at 20. Does it not stand to reason that Houston or Jacksonville would be interested in trading up before Cleveland can take him?

As for who's there that's a superior prospect, that's not really the right question to ask. He might be the best player left, but is he that much better than the 3 extra picks combined that we'd get from trading down? Consider that we're likely to get 0 snaps out of TB next season if we draft him and if Palmer has a great year we'll try to extend him for a couple. This is why QB in round 1 is not good value regardless of who's still on the board.

It'd be much like drafting Matt Leinart when you already have Kurt Warner only to have Leinart hold a clipboard for most of his rookie contract.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
As for who's there that's a superior prospect, that's not really the right question to ask. He might be the best player left, but is he that much better than the 3 extra picks combined that we'd get from trading down? Consider that we're likely to get 0 snaps out of a QB year 1 and if Palmer has a great year we'll try to extend him for a couple. This is why QB in round 1 is not good value regardless of who's still on the board.

This has been discussed here a great deal. If someone really wants to trade up for a QB that is supposedly droping in the 1st, they would more likely go to a less QB needy team like Baltimore and Miami who pick right ahead of us, then wait for the said QB to slip to a percieved more QB needy team (us). Thus it's unlikely that anyone trades up with us for a QB in the 1st Rd.

Not likely to come to the Cardinals @20 unless they're turned down all along the way before our pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
To the original topic

Sammy Watkins Jr.
Greg Robinson
Jake Matthews
Aaron Donald
Khalil Mack
Jadeveon Clowney
Anthony Barr

A super deep CB class keeps Gilbert and Fuller off the list, and a grouping of S's makes them more of a trade back option. From what I have seen, Pryor, Dix, Ward, Bucannon and Brooks will all grade out pretty closely.

In my mind, I believe the Cardinals will trade back, and I'm guessing it will be out of the first round all together. My best guess is with Jacksonville or Cleveland (to get 3 first round picks).

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
Not getting much by way of draft coverage over here and obviously nothing from a Cards slant, so its great reading your thoughts on here.

Keep it up chaps. :thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barr was also shut down against UofA. That'd make at least two consecutive games in which he didn't contribute (without me looking anything up).

I don't care for prospects who don't have a continuous motor, particularly pass rushers.

Well the games weren't consecutive, or even close to consecutive so maybe looking it up was in order (-:

The prior game was Colorado, the next game was Washington.

Arizona ran the ball well and they routinely ran away from Barr's side. That said, Jim Mora had a different explanation for why Barr didn't record a tackle against UA.

"Saturday night, he was tackled about six times," Mora told the Daily News . "He probably would have had about six sacks if they hadn't tackled him. I know he might not have had a tackle, but he got tackled.

"It was a shame, what they got away with. It was a shame."

I don't know where to find it anymore but the week after that game one of the UCLA boards had a montage of about 5 plays where Barr was either blatantly held or as Mora said tackled by the UA offensive line.

I vividly remember watching that game because it was the game Myles Jack was so amazing on offense while playing so well on defense. Can't recall ever seeing anybody dominate on both sides like that. Even the guys televising the game were showing replays of Barr being held because he had been so quiet in the game.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
To the original topic

Sammy Watkins Jr.
Greg Robinson
Jake Matthews
Aaron Donald
Khalil Mack
Jadeveon Clowney
Anthony Barr

A super deep CB class keeps Gilbert and Fuller off the list, and a grouping of S's makes them more of a trade back option. From what I have seen, Pryor, Dix, Ward, Bucannon and Brooks will all grade out pretty closely.

In my mind, I believe the Cardinals will trade back, and I'm guessing it will be out of the first round all together. My best guess is with Jacksonville or Cleveland (to get 3 first round picks).

In this scenario give me three or four players that you think the Cards

may look at with that high second rounder. I would take Buchanon Ford

Ealy or Tuitt there.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aaron Donald

then everyone else

Id say:

AD
Teddy
Gilbert or Dennard, they are basically interchangeable
Shazier
Barr

I like Shazier way more than Barr. Barr is just so raw it scares me. The NFL is not the place to learn how to play your position (hes only played D for years).

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aaron Donald

then everyone else

Id say:

AD
Teddy
Gilbert or Dennard, they are basically interchangeable
Shazier
Barr

I like Shazier way more than Barr. Barr is just so raw it scares me. The NFL is not the place to learn how to play your position (hes only played D for years).

aaron donald is impossible..doesnt have any chance to fall out the pick 10
teddy .i heard arians compared him to troy smith so we can remove his name from the list
gilbert shazier barr could be the options

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
aaron donald is impossible..doesnt have any chance to fall out the pick 10
teddy .i heard arians compared him to troy smith so we can remove his name from the list
gilbert shazier barr could be the options

Agree on Donald

as far as Teddy I have thoughts (because I also heard the Troy comments)

1. Keim is the decision maker, not BA

2. Keim has said there are QBs he likes (and Teddy is the best QB in the 14 draft)

3. BA and Keim have both said the QB pick will prob be an early pick (if it happens)

4. BA said 100% of everything said this time of year is a lie

and lastly, Teddy is the closest we will ever come to nabbing a franchise QB in recent memory.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan