2016-2017 NBA Draft Prospects

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
(Yes the title is a joke)

This 6'2 14 year old kid could probably compete for the Suns right now. Doubt Kendall could handle him (or any of our other perimeter players aside from maybe Dragic).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
(Yes the title is a joke)

This 6'2 14 year old kid could probably compete for the Suns right now. Doubt Kendall could handle him (or any of our other perimeter players aside from maybe Dragic).

That's like watching Teen Wolf.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video is all over right now and so many people watch it and say those are 5'6" kids he's dunking all over. True, but unless those are 9 foot rims that kids head is near the rim on some of those dunks.

He's pretty physically developed for a 14 year old but if doesn't grow an inch he's still big enough to play PG and if he grows 2-3 inches he's a 2.

I guess they named him 7th because he was the 7th child at least that's what I read the other day.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That video is all over right now and so many people watch it and say those are 5'6" kids he's dunking all over. True, but unless those are 9 foot rims that kids head is near the rim on some of those dunks.

He's pretty physically developed for a 14 year old but if doesn't grow an inch he's still big enough to play PG and if he grows 2-3 inches he's a 2.

I guess they named him 7th because he was the 7th child at least that's what I read the other day.

And if he grows 9"? Kevin Durant 2.0. :D

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Schooling other 14 year old kids who do much more things than just play basketball. Congrats :)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

9'?

in jr high i played on a regular 10'

you have to wonder how much all that jumping will affect him later on. there's going to be a lot of miles on those legs.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
9'?

in jr high i played on a regular 10'

you have to wonder how much all that jumping will affect him later on. there's going to be a lot of miles on those legs.

That was my point it doesn't matter who he's playing against, assuming those are regulation rims he can really get up.

I agree though about the wear and tear thing.

I remember the first time I saw Darrell Griffith was in some documentary about HS players. Came into Louisville one of the most amazing leapers you ever saw. By the time he was a veteran NBA player he was a spot up 3 shooter you hadn't hear Dr Dunkenstein in years on him. All those years of getting up that high apparently took its toll on his legs.

Not that this kid is anything like that, Griffith had a legit measured 48 inch vert coming into college, it was just ridiculous how high he could get.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
wear and tear shouldn't really be a problem at that age..

At that age wear and tear can be a huge problem. Knee problems are pretty common for kids in growth spurts. Osgood-Schlatter, SLJ and torn ligaments are all pretty common in youth sports. Most good youth coaches will be very cautious about developing speed and jumping to avoid doing permanent damage to growing joints. At that age, skill development should take precedent over developing explosive speed and power.

At that age there is such a disparity in physical maturity among players, that it is really hard to tell who is going to be a good college level player. If he hit puberty early and is essentially done growing, then unless he develops a great jumpshot, he isn't going to be anything special.

If he still has some growing left, develops a repetiore beyond dunking on people who are 8 inches shorter and stays healthy, then he could end up being impressive as an older player.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
At that age wear and tear can be a huge problem. Knee problems are pretty common for kids in growth spurts. Osgood-Schlatter, SLJ and torn ligaments are all pretty common in youth sports. Most good youth coaches will be very cautious about developing speed and jumping to avoid doing permanent damage to growing joints. r.

At that age you can easily recover and regenerate. You can fully recover from those surgeries.

Look at Lebron, I'd wager he started playing like that at a similiar age. Looks like he conditioned his body well for what he played like from a young age.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Look at Lebron, I'd wager he started playing like that at a similiar age. Looks like he conditioned his body well for what he played like from a young age.

Given that James is only 28, I'd say it's too early to tell whether all of those accumulated acrobatics are going to shorten his career.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
At that age there is such a disparity in physical maturity among players, that it is really hard to tell who is going to be a good college level player. If he hit puberty early and is essentially done growing, then unless he develops a great jumpshot, he isn't going to be anything special.

I'd be inclined to agree, but this season he shot 96% (!) from the line, plus 56% from three-point range (whatever distance that is), so his shooting mechanic must be pretty solid. And if he can blow by people, he won't have any difficulty creating space for mid-range jumpers.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/wJ...sketball-winter-12-13/stats-seventh-woods.htm

Edit: Hey, cool, the second leading scorer on his team is named Xavier McDaniel. Son of the former Sun?

Last edited:

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to agree, but this season he shot 96% (!) from the line, plus 56% from three-point range (whatever distance that is), so his shooting mechanic must be pretty solid. And if he can blow by people, he won't have any difficulty creating space for mid-range jumpers.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/wJ...sketball-winter-12-13/stats-seventh-woods.htm

Edit: Hey, cool, the second leading scorer on his team is named Xavier McDaniel. Son of the former Sun?

That is crazy! Just watching an athletic kid dunk did and block shots did not impress me. There are thousands of kids who can do that, although very few his age. Shooting 96% from the line and 56% from three-point range is impressive. For a 14-year-old it is insane.

I had to look at the date for the Youtube video and MaxPreps site. This kid is so unreal that my first reaction after hearing the shooting percentages was that he must be the Sidd Finch of basketball.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was unaware of the ridiculous shooting percentages. Wow!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This kid is so unreal that my first reaction after hearing the shooting percentages was that he must be the Sidd Finch of basketball.

I suppose it's possible that his stats have been falsified. His shooting percentages for 2011-12 were a lot more pedestrian. According to the 2012-13 stats page, he almost never turns the ball over either. Maybe someone's playing a little trick on us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose it's possible that his stats have been falsified. His shooting percentages for 2011-12 were a lot more pedestrian. According to the 2012-13 stats page, he almost never turns the ball over either. Maybe someone's playing a little trick on us.

Max Preps stats are notoriously unreliable, they get them from coaches who send them to them.

But then HS stats in general are unreliable for that reason.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure if it applies where this kid plays, but in Arizona it typically falls upon the home team's coach to report the game's stats. If you try to piece together only his road games maybe it will paint a more accurate picture.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it applies where this kid plays, but in Arizona it typically falls upon the home team's coach to report the game's stats. If you try to piece together only his road games maybe it will paint a more accurate picture.

It's just really hard to trust MaxPreps stats. For example yesterday I was looking at Pleasant Grove HS in Elk Grove, CA(Sacramento)

Their best player is Malik Thames(brother of Xavier now at SDSU), Max Preps has him shooting 90% from 2, 70% from 3 and some outrageous overall number. I started looking and there are at least 2 kids who have more made FG's than FGA's, so they're shooting better than 100%!

There's a guy on Bruinzone who posts the Maxpreps stats for incoming freshmen for UCLA every year and he always points out some of the obvious mistakes.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification about bogus high-school stats. I'd be curious to know what Woods's real shooting percentages are.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake