2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jazz are going back to purple as their primary color theme in their uniforms next season.

IMO, they look more like the Jazz with the mountain look.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Jazz are going back to purple as their primary color theme in their uniforms next season.

IMO, they look more like the Jazz with the mountain look.

I like those. Thought they were throwbacks until I looked at the font a little closer. I especially like the one Kessler is wearing on the far right with the black text.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That is rather unexpected.

Big risk going after a college coach.

Not sure how we got from "The Lakers view JJ Reddick as the next Pat Riley" to here.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That is rather unexpected.

Big risk going after a college coach.

Not sure how we got from "The Lakers view JJ Reddick as the next Pat Riley" to here.

Reportedly, the Lakers want to improve their young core of Reaves, Hachimura and Christie.

Maybe we should ask how the Suns got here.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, Brad Stevens worked out exceedingly well for the Celtics, which I have to admit I didn't expect. So I guess Lakers are trying to catch that same wave. Who knows, lightning might strike twice?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reportedly, the Lakers want to improve their young core of Reaves, Hachimura and Christie.

Maybe we should ask how the Suns got here.

File this under extreme wishful thinking.

Guys 4 and 5 years in don't improve dramatically like hardly ever.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, Brad Stevens worked out exceedingly well for the Celtics, which I have to admit I didn't expect. So I guess Lakers are trying to catch that same wave. Who knows, lightning might strike twice?

If it is a dude who took a small or run of the mill program and turned it into a monster despite not getting top tier recruits, like Stevens at Butler or Jay Wright at Villanova, that is a college coach I'd be excited to roll the dice on.

On the otherhand... these dudes who take over a program that is already a perenial power house, a situation where they are backed by history and almost infinite resources and loaded boosters... like Pitino or Calilipari, or, in this case, Hurley coming from UConn. It seems to me that those guys typically fail in the NBA.

Being a great recruiter does nothing for you in the pros, and being a hard ass drill instructor type will make players despise you quick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Who is the last nba who had success going ape-poop on the sideline like Hurley does? Don’t see it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lakers reportedly have offered Hurley in excess of $100 million to be their head coach.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Teams can negotiate with their own guys the day after the NBA Finals end. Hope for a 4 game series. :)

• Day After Last Game of NBA Finals: Each NBA team may begin negotiating with upcoming free agents who finished the just-completed season on its roster.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Dan Hurley? His brother, Bobby, is the one that goes nuts. I thought Dan was the calm one?
Did you watch the tourney? At one point he walked in the court and grabbed his own player and shoved him down court. I couldn’t believe that wasn’t a technical. He’s not the level of Bobby but he’s a bunch of histrionics too.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Did you watch the tourney? At one point he walked in the court and grabbed his own player and shoved him down court. I couldn’t believe that wasn’t a technical. He’s not the level of Bobby but he’s a bunch of histrionics too.
They talk on the radio all the time about how calm Dan is compared to Bobby! :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. A ton of media types had this as a done deal.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. A ton of media types had this as a done deal.

Turned down a lot of money wowza, nobody wants to coach Lebum haha! Likely he will regret this Lakers a big name team and that’s a ton of money to turn down. Don’t see a college coach getting that kind of scratch…

Lorenzo

Reaction score
don't blame him. I'd rather coach at UCONN than the lakers. same reason they couldn't get coach K. the lakers job is not a great job.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't blame him. I'd rather coach at UCONN than the lakers. same reason they couldn't get coach K. the lakers job is not a great job.
I was really hoping the Lakers made Hurley an offer he couldn't walk away from. I just think he'd be a horrible hire for that kind of veteran team. My biggest concern is always what the Suns do but bad things happening in Laker land would slightly brighten our existence, hole be damned.