2023 FIBA World Cup

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This guy will be that feel-good fan favorite for the Suns this year. He will be the one that is sort of the team mascot that everyone cheers for.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some stats for Yuta Watanabe through 5 FIBA games. I hope the injury mentioned, does not linger.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
... and we lost. Doesn't seem to affect anything as far as seeding goes though.

Love Mikal Bridges, but can't bring myself to like this version of Team USA much. Not sure why.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lithuania beats the United States 110-104 in the second round of World Cup games.

By the Associated Press:

The loss — the first for the U.S. in 10 games this summer, counting five exhibitions on the way to the World Cup — came on a night when the Americans officially clinched a berth in the Paris Games.

And the loss won’t necessarily hurt them in the World Cup medal chase, either. The U.S. will play a quarterfinal game on Tuesday, when the knockout stage for the final eight teams begins. Win Tuesday, win Thursday and win next Sunday, and the Americans are gold medalists.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how Steve Kerr described it. Lithuania was not missing shots.

From EuroHoopsNet:

“They just punched us in the mouth,” Kerr said. “They made every shot. I don’t think it was a case of us not being ready. But them playing perfect first quarter and us understanding how hard we’ll have to play to accomplish our goal.”

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis Schroeder getting into it with the coach for Germany.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here is the box score for the above game.

Team USA paying the price of not having more size and only one center?

They have size, they don't use it particularly well. JJJ, Kessler, and Portis can all play Center. I don't think size is an issue or caused the loss. They need better perimeter defense. Like most Warrior teams, Team USA launches a ton of 3's and will occasionally get out gunned.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have size, they don't use it particularly well. JJJ, Kessler, and Portis can all play Center. I don't think size is an issue or caused the loss. They need better perimeter defense. Like most Warrior teams, Team USA launches a ton of 3's and will occasionally get out gunned.

I mentioned size because I have seen it as a criticism for Team USA.

Germany shot an uncanny 56% from three. Jalen Brunson attributed much of the loss to a slow start.

By Aris Barkas/ [email protected]:

As he said: “They executed their game plan and we just started too slow. We played way better in the second half and we waited too long to come to play. That’s on me, I have to come ready to play, I have to have everyone else ready to play. Respect to them, they played great”.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mentioned size because I have seen it as a criticism for Team USA.

Germany shot an uncanny 56% from three. Jalen Brunson attributed much of the loss to a slow start.

By Aris Barkas/ [email protected]:

As he said: “They executed their game plan and we just started too slow. We played way better in the second half and we waited too long to come to play. That’s on me, I have to come ready to play, I have to have everyone else ready to play. Respect to them, they played great”.

I think coaching is more of an issue than size. Kerr is a fine coach in the NBA but he runs a system that plays into his talents strengths there while internationally he's running a Warriors like system but without Steph, Klay or Draymond. I think they've played too much of an NBA style though, to their detriment. It's just the World Cup though. Hopefully they work out the kinks and can rally but if they don't, this will hopefully show them what they need to work on before the Olympics.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think coaching is more of an issue than size. Kerr is a fine coach in the NBA but he runs a system that plays into his talents strengths there while internationally he's running a Warriors like system but without Steph, Klay or Draymond. I think they've played too much of an NBA style though, to their detriment. It's just the World Cup though. Hopefully they work out the kinks and can rally but if they don't, this will hopefully show them what they need to work on before the Olympics.

These European teams are skilled in ball handling, shooting and passing. Some of the players have played together for years.

I think this where the U.S. team might have an advantage if they had superior talent inside.

In the Olympics, Kevin Durant helped carry the U.S. team to a gold medal in basketball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
These European teams are skilled in ball handling, shooting and passing. Some of the players have played together for years.

I think this where the U.S. team might have an advantage if they had superior talent inside.

In the Olympics, Kevin Durant helped carry the U.S. team to a gold medal in basketball.

I was reading about the loss and one thing that surprised me is there is only 1 NBA Champion on Team USA, Bobby Portis. He's also probably the 12th man on Team USA. They're very young and inexperienced. They don't have that guy who has been there before and carried a team to success. That's definitely an issue.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was reading about the loss and one thing that surprised me is there is only 1 NBA Champion on Team USA, Bobby Portis. He's also probably the 12th man on Team USA. They're very young and inexperienced. They don't have that guy who has been there before and carried a team to success. That's definitely an issue.

This is definitely a major issue. As great as Anthony Edwards will become, he is still only 22. Team USA has a lot of young players out there they will need to rely on.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The World Cup of basketball does not have near the allure of the Olypmics, at least not in the US. In 2019 the roster was similar, lots of really young guys with no title experience and very little playoffs experience between them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The World Cup of basketball does not have near the allure of the Olypmics, at least not in the US. In 2019 the roster was similar, lots of really young guys with no title experience and very little playoffs experience between them.

It seems the world cup has increased in activity and perception everywhere except for the US. I don't see that changing considering the money involved in the US with the NBA but there's a good chance the US falls behind further as time goes on. The US still rolls out a good squad for the Olympics though, which is where they place their importance.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The composition of the US team was awful to start with. Cam and Mikal have no business being on an Olympic roster and I hope are not going to Paris in 2024. JJJ is useless. Hope guys like LeBron, Book, KD and Dame choose to play next summer.