2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
If he doesn’t work out we all were fooled.

Just hope it’s a matter of him having to adjust to the NFL as a WR1
False
Edit: To the all being fooled part. Plenty of people wanted to trade back for Odunze or take Nabers.

My current take is that MHJ is lacking confidence. He's not involved in the gameplan and doesn't look comfortable.

Last edited:

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And so were most Nfl teams/scouts as he was generally regarded as the best wide receiver prospect in the draft (some teams had Nabers ahead of him though).

Would it help if we temporarily shifted him to wide receiver #2?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
He’ll be fine, but he has some maturing to do. Hope dad is giving him feedback

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I'm old enough to remember how he was praised for blowing off combine training to prepare for actual NFL. He should fire whoever his personal trainer is, because he's been woefully bad.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is a lot here.

The good:

Harrison has shown again and again he can absolutely work a defense deep. Unfortunately Kyler is usually running and making 1 read by the time that happens.

The bad:

That last drop was just brutal. Rather than catch a perfectly thrown ball at where his hands are, he jumps and then tries to body catch a bullet and drops it.

Overall:

I believe MHJr is anticipating the throws to be high when in traffic and is just making mistakes. I also think that is fair because Kyler is consistently throwing it chest and above to him so I kind of get it. I also think he isn't used to fighting for the ball and is just not physical at all.

I also believe that if Kyler had consistent time to throw Harrison would be a potential rookie of the year candidate. I have seen 3 legit TDs just left on the table.

It can go either way right now. He might fall into a mental hole and just check out. He might also learn to be more physical.

K1Day1

Veteran
Reaction score
He just looks like he doesn’t want to be on the field half the time.
That's a Great post, however, I do wonder... Daniel Jones throws the ball to Malik Nabers all the time because Jones is told to just throw the ball to him ( Jones got benched ). It appears the Cardinals are starting to learn that other teams double covering MHJ is a Good thing.
If Murray can learn to depend on McBride and.... another receiver starts to emerge then MHJ will be fine. If not, the only receiver Murray seems to completely trust in important minutes is McBride..

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So there is a lot here.

The good:

Harrison has shown again and again he can absolutely work a defense deep. Unfortunately Kyler is usually running and making 1 read by the time that happens.

The bad:

That last drop was just brutal. Rather than catch a perfectly thrown ball at where his hands are, he jumps and then tries to body catch a bullet and drops it.

Overall:

I believe MHJr is anticipating the throws to be high when in traffic and is just making mistakes. I also think that is fair because Kyler is consistently throwing it chest and above to him so I kind of get it. I also think he isn't used to fighting for the ball and is just not physical at all.

I also believe that if Kyler had consistent time to throw Harrison would be a potential rookie of the year candidate. I have seen 3 legit TDs just left on the table.

It can go either way right now. He might fall into a mental hole and just check out. He might also learn to be more physical.
You can't learn to be more physical, IMO. You've either got the dog in you, or you don't.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
he also loses concentration and drops too many balls for my liking. He would likely be the best WR in the league IMO if he didnt have those lapses.
Were his drops as much of a problem in college?

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Were his drops as much of a problem in college?

Funny thing, when you are at a top tier college program, you frequently face a crazy talent disparity.

If I was a GM I would legit draft half my players from the SEC because that is the closest to the NFL.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would like to see MHJ work out of the slot more. He's struggling in the outside X receiver role and Petzing needs to make an adjustment to get him going before this turns into a giant mess.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't learn to be more physical, IMO. You've either got the dog in you, or you don't.
Fitz learned to be an all-time physical WR. That didn’t happen until after Haley got here and started riding him in his third season.

That said, Fitz at least fought for balls and came out with the best hands, always high pointing the ball. And his body control in the air was there from the jump.

Sad part is Marv shows NONE of that at this point.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
His confidence looks really low. He's struggling with the playbook, his hands, and connection with Kyler.

Today I saw him both dog and go all out. On the play he went out with an injury he 100% committed to getting the ball and almost killed himself.

Do I think the light will come on? Yes. But something needs to change.