2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Here’s my issue with we had to change and take the big risk because the team never has before… this team has repeatedly taken the big risk route numerous times. Big trade for Barkley age 31, big trade for Penny, big FA signing with Nash at age 32, trade for 36 year old CP3, and then the KD trade, which was a wild overpay.

And Marion for O'Neal.

Nash was only 30 when he rejoined the Suns, and Paul was 35, not 36. Even so, what strikes me about both of those moves is that neither was expected to make the Suns a contender. The goal for each trade was to get "good," not to get "great."

Nash was brought in to help Stoudemire get to the next level, but the Suns were a dismal 29-53 the previous season, and no one could have imagined the difference Nash would make. That was an ideal move because the upfront cost was minimal, a modest return would have made it seem worth it, and everything on top of that was gravy.

The Paul trade was similar. They were trying to get back to the playoffs after spending the first several years of Booker's career in the lottery. No one expected a Finals run, certainly not in the first season.

On the face of it, the Hardaway trade looks similar to the Durant one. Like Durant, Hardaway came with an injury history and questions about his attitude. But the Suns gave up Danny Manning, who had been going through a stretch of good health and contributed on both ends of the court, two first-round picks, Pat Garrity as a throw-in ... and that was it. The price for Hardaway was roughly half what they would later pay for Durant.

We hoped Ayton would be that guy, but it was clear early he wasn’t going to be and in the same draft, we passed on the guy who would have been.

Who might have been. It remains to be seen whether Doncic gets there. He's more impactful than Ayton by a wide margin, but he's not a champion yet.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Marion for O'Neal.

Nash was only 30 when he rejoined the Suns, and Paul was 35, not 36. Even so, what strikes me about both of those moves is that neither was expected to make the Suns a contender. The goal for each trade was to get "good," not to get "great."

Nash was brought in to help Stoudemire get to the next level, but the Suns were a dismal 29-53 the previous season, and no one could have imagined the difference Nash would make. That was an ideal move because the upfront cost was minimal, a modest return would have made it seem worth it, and everything on top of that was gravy.

The Paul trade was similar. They were trying to get back to the playoffs after spending the first several years of Booker's career in the lottery. No one expected a Finals run, certainly not in the first season.

On the face of it, the Hardaway trade looks similar to the Durant one. Like Durant, Hardaway came with an injury history and questions about his attitude. But the Suns gave up Danny Manning, who had been going through a stretch of good health and contributed on both ends of the court, two first-round picks, Pat Garrity as a throw-in ... and that was it. The price for Hardaway was roughly half what they would later pay for Durant.

Who might have been. It remains to be seen whether Doncic gets there. He's more impactful than Ayton by a wide margin, but he's not a champion yet.
Yeah… I should have said generational title contending talent instead of winning. I do think Doncic has shown to be the head of a snake of a title contender as he totally turned Dallas around, and has taken them to the WCF and the Finals in 2 of the last 3 years, still at a young age.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash was the idea point guard to run Mike D'Antoni's SSOL offense which helps to account for the Suns vast improvement in his second season as head coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always draft BPA even if you have multiple players who play the same position.

This is from the linked article @Phrazbit posted. Fox is a player the Suns should have drafted.

By Jack Baer Staff writer Sat, Sep 21, 2024, 5:48 PM MST·3 min read:

In an interview with Croatian outlet Index.hr, Divac was asked to explain passing over Dončić. Like he did right after the draft, Divac pointed to the presence of Kings guard De'Aaron Fox as the reason why Bagley was the better choice, and implied Fox could still vindicate the decision if he has a better career than Dončić.

From Index, interpreted through Google Translate:

"I had De'Aaron Fox at that position, whom I drafted a year earlier. At that moment, I thought that Fox was a player who could become a franchise player in the next period. Time will tell if I was wrong. As things stand now, it looks like I am, but I have faith in little Fox that he will have a better career."

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Grizzlies are waiving Derrick Rose.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just catching up on this thread. The Durant trade wasn't happening without Bridges. He was the key piece on the Brooklyn side. It's all the extra draft picks, Johnson, and Crowder where we had some room to bargain but didn't. Ishbia was too keen to get his new toy and make a splash.