2024-2025 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It looks like Monty Williams will be coaching high school basketball, where his son is a student.

This should be a good fit and where he will be happy.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good for him. He is a good coach and may find he works best with teenagers versus rich 20 and 30 somethings. It seems his issues stem from trying mold the character of those who played for him in the NBA while that will be more of a plus in a high school.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think BPA is usually the right approach when drafting but not for rounding out a roster. Fit becomes even more important than actual talent when you're talking about the end of bench players. Nothing wrecks a team faster than locker room problems and nothing creates more locker room problems than disgruntled players. To be clear, I'm not saying this about Lonnie Walker specifically as I have no idea what kind of a fit he'd be in Phoenix. Nor am I suggesting that talent doesn't matter for those final spots, it just shouldn't be the only consideration.
Its also most important when you are putting together the final pieces for a championship team--even if those final pieces are starters. The five best players on your team are not always the best unit to put on the floor. Sometimes you even trade a better player for a lesser player who has the specific skills necessary to make the team better.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eurohoops makes a stat comparison of Lebron James and Luka Doncic during their first six years in the NBA.

And then there is defense . . . .

And with that, LeBron is still the better player.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Year 6 Lebron vs year 6 Luka is a joke. Stats can say whatever they want but there isn't a GM that would sign off on trading LeBron for Luka, period. Even now I think the Mavs would consider the swap. Luka is great and he's competing with Jokic now to be the Euro in NBA history, which is crazy considering how good Dirk was. LeBron is on another level and trying to surpass MJ as the GOAT. If you don't put LeBron in top 3 all time then you're biased. I won't get into the headache he is off the court because that's irrelevant to the discussion.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
And then there is defense . . . .

And with that, LeBron is still the better player.
And really, a different era, too. The NBA is totally catch and shoot now, where in Lebron's early career, you still had to play all the way to the hoop and it hence was a more physical game. Just look at the scoring (and defensive) trends between now and then.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Timberwolves announce they have released Keita Bates-Diop.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alperen Sengun gets paid nicely by Houston on a five-year, $185 million extension.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jalen Johnson gets paid, 5 years, $150 million guaranteed by the Hawks.

Salaries seem to have gone up or I'm suffering sticker shock.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alperen Sengun gets paid nicely by Houston on a five-year, $185 million extension.

It will be interesting to see what kind of player Oso can be if he can add 20 lbs of muscle to his frame. He looks like he has the frame to do it. This post about Sengun made me think about that for some reason.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what kind of player Oso can be if he can add 20 lbs of muscle to his frame. He looks like he has the frame to do it. This post about Sengun made me think about that for some reason.

No matter the weight, Oso will need to improve his shot. Even his push shot has very limited range at the moment.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Jalen Johnson gets paid, 5 years, $150 million guaranteed by the Hawks.

Salaries seem to have gone up or I'm suffering sticker shock.

While I understand that the salaries go up as the cap goes up, some of these dollar values are still mindboggling to me.

Jalen Suggs: 5yr/$150.5M
Jalen Green: 3yr/$106M
Alperen Sengun: 5yr/$185M
Trey Murphy III: 4yr/$112M
Jalen Johnson: 5yr/$150M
Corey Krispert: 4yr/$54M