2024 Free Agency thread

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The whole point of all of this is people have claimed that they just utilized the draft to build their team to strength, which has so clearly been proven false. They spent big money in FA, and also acquired some of their most important players via trade.

There isn't one road to success, and the idea that all of their success was via good drafting is not accurate.
Most of the Niners players have been draft picks. Most. Early in their rebuild they mostly relied on the draft and filled a few holes through free agency. You can mention people like Garçon, but they didn't throw a huge contract at him and he was probably a tier below a Kyzir White signing at that point, and it's a pretty lau
Further, if we continue to only utilize the draft for significant improvement vs. FA and trades as well, that's an incredibly narrow road to success.
I agree with you here. I think unless you have talent, the smartest method to build a team is to stockpile lots of draft picks early on and then start smartly adding FAs/trades to augment your core.

It's been pointed out many times, but it's real hard to find good, young, spotless talent in FA/trades, so you have to be judicious.
We're going to basically waste TWO YEARS not seriously trying to compete to prove the strategy right. Good luck with that.
Monti isn't looking too smart passing on some of the pass rushing talent that was available. I think we'd all feel better if the Cardinals had Danielle Hunter on the roster.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Who on that list is a big free agent?
Are you serious?
Those signings were all pretty much Kyzir White and Froholdt types.

Their "big" signing was (checks notes) the corpse of Pierre Garçon. He's making my point for me.

The Niners absolutely weren't signing the Hargrave of the world until they were within striking distance of a Super Bowl.
So, every major FA they signed that season was more than Fro. So the 49ers made 6 moves that were more expensive than Monti highest dollar move.

Garcon was coming off a 1000 yard receiving season, had more receiving yards than Fitz that season, and was younger.

Jimmy was a huge move for that franchise.

They made Jusz the highest paid FB in the NFL at 7 mil per season.

At this point you are just purposefully sticking your head in the sand.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Most of the Niners players have been draft picks. Most. Early in their rebuild they mostly relied on the draft and filled a few holes through free agency. You can mention people like Garçon, but they didn't throw a huge contract at him and he was probably a tier below a Kyzir White signing at that point, and it's a pretty lau

I agree with you here. I think unless you have talent, the smartest method to build a team is to stockpile lots of draft picks early on and then start smartly adding FAs/trades to augment your core.

It's been pointed out many times, but it's real hard to find good, young, spotless talent in FA/trades, so you have to be judicious.

Monti isn't looking too smart passing on some of the pass rushing talent that was available. I think we'd all feel better if the Cardinals had Danielle Hunter on the roster.
The idea that 10 million less per year is a tier below is pretty wild.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Are you serious?

So, every major FA they signed that season was more than Fro. So the 49ers made 6 moves that were more expensive than Monti highest dollar move.
None were "big free agents". None.

Garçon was already old when they brought him and was out of the league in pretty short order.

Now you're throwing out FBs? LOL.
Garcon was coming off a 1000 yard receiving season, had more receiving yards than Fitz that season, and was younger.
And was pretty washed up starting that year...

No I'm really not. I'd wager if Murray hadn't been on the roster, Monti would've gone for a QB too. Bringing in a backup QB to be a starter is a fairly typical move that pretty much every GM will do when you don't have a QB.

Outside of Jusz, those were all pretty much roster filler moves.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you serious?

Dude, you gotta just let it go.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Detroit Lions trade OL Laken Tomlinson to Niners​

Published: Aug 31, 2017 at 05:28 AM
A first-round pick from the 2015 draft is on the move.
Despite needs across their own offensive line, the Detroit Lions traded guard Laken Tomlinson, the No. 28 overall pick in the 2015 draft, to the 49ers, the team announced Thursday.
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo add the Lions will receive a 2019 fifth-round pick as compensation.
The move is another aggressive step for the John Lynch/Kyle Shanahan regime in San Francisco. While the team seems intent on building through the draft over the coming years, the 49ers were active in free agency and are continuing to toil away at their foundation. Should he be able to turn the corner, Tomlinson will help make the 49ers a surprisingly formidable offensive line led by Stalwart Joe Staley and right tackle Trent Brown.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re basically saying that trading for Jimmy G was the equivalent of trading for Kevin Kolb and that wasn’t the reality at the time.
Meanwhile, when we traded a 2nd round pick and a good CB for Kolb, this entire board thought it was a big move to get a starting QB. Don’t know which side of the fence Krango sat on, but by Cardinals standards everyone thought it was a big move here, for good or bad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Meanwhile, when we traded a 2nd round pick and a good CB for Kolb, this entire board thought it was a big move to get a starting QB. Don’t know which side of the fence Krango sat on, but by Cardinals standards everyone thought it was a big move here, for good or bad.
I wasn’t a Kolb believer at the time. It was a desperate move by Whis to save his job.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at these big spending deals the 9ers made in their early years of Shanny-Lynch, you realize most of these players ended up as duds.

I don’t want us to be aggressive just for the sake of being aggressive. That is stupid as hell.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t a Kolb believer at the time. It was a desperate move by Whis to save his job.
Doesn’t change the fact that people saw it as a big move (and looking back, that does include Krango). Any time you give up a 2nd round pick for a QBOTF and then sign him to an extended contract, that’s considered a big deal.

So if trading for Kolb was considered a big move, I fail to see how trading a high 2nd rounder for Jimmy G with the intent of him being the QBOTF, evidenced by signing him to a contract making him the highest paid QB, can be considered anything but a big move as well.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don’t want us to be aggressive just for the sake of being aggressive.
Please find any post from anyone advocating to be aggressive just for the sake of being aggressive...I'll wait.

FA can be an avenue to acquire above average players - we need many of those to be competitive against teams that already have them!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please find any post from anyone advocating to be aggressive just for the sake of being aggressive...I'll wait.
Literally every post that’s been opposing Krang on this debate. “Monti is conservative! He’s not spending enough!” Alright then cool, so I’m assuming you guys just want him to spend for the sake of spending, even though he did some spending this offseason.

Hell, I keep seeing the 9ers example for the longest. Yea, let’s do that, just spend even though most of those FA acquisitions ended up as duds. Sounds like a fantastic idea.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ha, there are good players available in every FA period.

I asked you to name these above-average players. Scheme-concerns? Durability-concerns? Age-concerns? Let us analyze this.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Literally every post that’s been opposing Krang on this debate. “Monti is conservative! He’s not spending enough!”
You don't even understand the debate - argument from Krang and others was that SF only acquired their talent through the draft and made no major FA/trade acquisitions. That's totally wrong.
so I’m assuming you guys just want him to spend for the sake of spending
You can continue to build straw men out of nothing, but that's not what people are saying, and you're wrong.
, even though he did some spending this offseason.
He did some spending yes, but the issue is that he didn't get ANY above average starters. He added some guys that are rotational NFL players, but not one of them is expected to be above average. Yes, they may end up better than what we had, but that's a ridiculously low standard. To be a top team, we need a roster that can compete with the top teams, not just better than the crap we had before.
Hell, I keep seeing the 9ers example for the longest. Yea, let’s do that, just spend even though most of those FA acquisitions ended up as duds. Sounds like a fantastic idea.
Yes, because the FA additions of the 49ers mostly didn't pan out, spending in FA is always a bad plan, solid reasoning.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I asked you to name these above-average players. Scheme-concerns? Durability-concerns? Age-concerns? Let us analyze this.
I did the work of googling you all the top FA's of 2024. Are you seriously trying to argue that NONE of them fit based on scheme/durability/age? For a team desperately in need of above average players, you sound like Goldilocks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You don't even understand the debate - argument from Krang and others was that SF only acquired their talent through the draft and made no major FA/trade acquisitions. That's totally wrong.
KING STRAWMAN STRIKES AGAIN!!!!
You can continue to build straw men out of nothing, but that's not what people are saying, and you're wrong.
You're the one building a strawman.

My argument is that spending to spend is DUMB. The best pass rusher on the market is entering his decline (Danielle Hunter). Probably the second best, Jonathan Greenard has been good one year, horrible the next, pretty much his entire career. Bryce Huff? Little guy, who is most just a situational pass rusher and he got big money.

Each one of these guys is a fairly risky move. I would probably have signed one, but I'm just an amateur.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I could be wrong, & correct me if I’m wrong, but I do feel like I remember him mentioning they made major FA/trade acquisitions when they were already competitive. Again, correct me if that’s wrong.
That is 100% what it seems like.
He did some spending yes, but the issue is that he didn't get ANY above average starters. He added some guys that are rotational NFL players, but not one of them is expected to be above average. Yes, they may end up better than what we had, but that's a ridiculously low standard. To be a top team, we need a roster that can compete with the top teams, not just better than the crap we had before.
Who are these above-starters? I’m not asking to be a smart-ass, I’m legitimately asking to see if they were realistic or not. You guys are not laying out examples.
Yes, because the FA additions of the 49ers mostly didn't pan out, spending in FA is always a bad plan, solid reasoning
Word, so let’s just spend just to say we did & met the quota. Let’s not think realistically, let’s just do it because we can.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I did the work of googling you all the top FA's of 2024. Are you seriously trying to argue that NONE of them fit based on scheme/durability/age? For a team desperately in need of above average players, you sound like Goldilocks.
I asked you to NAME me these players. I’m not going to hold your hand for you.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I could be wrong, & correct me if I’m wrong, but I do feel like I remember him mentioning they made major FA/trade acquisitions when they were already competitive. Again, correct me if that’s wrong.
They explored all avenues to try and build a winner - that's the point you don't seem to be understanding.
That is 100% what it seems like.
You completely misrepresent what people are saying - not 1 person said spend for the sake of spending. If you're going to continue to build straw men, there isn't much to discuss here.
Who are these above-starters? I’m not asking to be a smart-ass, I’m legitimately asking to see if they were realistic or not. You guys are not laying out examples.
I would have focused on guys like Hunter and Fuller - we had plenty of money for both, and neither would break the bank or prevent us from acquiring more talent in the long term. Again - here's the list of the top FA's - many of the top 50 are above average starters and would be a major upgrade:

Word, so let’s just spend just to say we did & met the quota. Let’s not think realistically, let’s just do it because we can.
Keep building those straw men vs. engage earnestly. Good talk.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They explored all avenues to try and build a winner - that's the point you don't seem to be understanding.
No, I understand. I don’t see how Monti has not taken a similar approach unless the name value of these acquisitions are not as eye-popping to you.
You completely misrepresent what people are saying - not 1 person said spend for the sake of spending. If you're going to continue to build straw men, there isn't much to discuss here.
I’m not misrepresenting what you are saying here. Until the very next post you made, nobody has not given any names as to who we should or should have target.
I would have focused on guys like Hunter and Fuller - we had plenty of money for both, and neither would break the bank or prevent us from acquiring more talent in the long term. Again - here's the list of the top FA's - many of the top 50 are above average starters and would be a major upgrade:
THANK YOU! I agree with Fuller. Outside of 2022, he has been steady the past couple of years. 29 is kind of that age for CBs where it becomes real possible they’ll start declining, but I still would have made that move if I were Monti. I like Hunter a lot, but I’m not if he wanted to be a part of another rebuild after just leaving one.
Keep building those straw men vs. engage earnestly. Good talk.
You were ducking & dodging until the quote above this one. I’m glad you didn’t continue to do so.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky