2024 Free Agency thread

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Former Broncos Pro-Bowl safety Justin Simmons is signing a one-year, $8 million deal with the Atlanta Falcons.
Sounds similar to the Judon contract with Atlanta.
3rd round pick was a bit steep but the Cards could’ve taken that contract.

That’s alright. We have Gardeck and I was told he has a lot of pressures.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The lack of a good edge defender is going to hurt this year. We know what we have in the likes of Collins and Gardeck. They ain't it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That’s pretty speculative at this point.
It is. If the offense can be high-octane and carry the team, they have a shot. I have my doubts.

I don't think it's at all speculative that this FO has a crippling lack of ambition. Going for it here wouldn't be mortgaging our cap future, but rather actually utilizing what cap space we already have.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It is. If the offense can be high-octane and carry the team, they have a shot. I have my doubts.

I don't think it's at all speculative that this FO has a crippling lack of ambition. Going for it here wouldn't be mortgaging our cap future, but rather actually utilizing what cap space we already have.
:shrug:

Sometimes you're going to have to let the plan play out. There's a clear logic -- offense is more stable year-to-year than defense is plus that's where our mature asset are/were. Start there. Make modest improvements to the defense in the hope that you can get them to 20th overall or better.

Losing Beej is a bummer; he was the most promising prospect that we had. But there are bodies in that room that could benefit from the additional playing time. The obvious roster hole was at Edge, but unless you wanted Chase Young there wasn't much to do.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Sometimes you're going to have to let the plan play out. There's a clear logic -- offense is more stable year-to-year than defense is plus that's where our mature asset are/were. Start there. Make modest improvements to the defense in the hope that you can get them to 20th overall or better.

Losing Beej is a bummer; he was the most promising prospect that we had. But there are bodies in that room that could benefit from the additional playing time. The obvious roster hole was at Edge, but unless you wanted Chase Young there wasn't much to do.
Maybe, but the team isn't going to benefit from it. Let's not pretend Monti's plan at edge was anything other than royally stupid.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

There were some more options than just Chase Young LOL, but none were clean prospects from a risk standpoint. I would have been worried about throwing a ton of money at Greenard for example.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Meanwhile, when we traded a 2nd round pick and a good CB for Kolb, this entire board thought it was a big move to get a starting QB. Don’t know which side of the fence Krango sat on, but by Cardinals standards everyone thought it was a big move here, for good or bad.
Just goes to show you how we are the paupers of the NFL

"Please sir, might you spare a bit of gruel for a starving boy?"

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My only hope is better interior DL this year makes things easier for our hodge podge of rotational pass rushers. Last year QBs could just step up into a clean pocket every time.
From the little we have seen of Robinson...a clean pocket will be less frequent this season

Cardsfan77

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My only hope is better interior DL this year makes things easier for our hodge podge of rotational pass rushers. Last year QBs could just step up into a clean pocket every time.
This and a better CB group to start the season compared to last should result in more QB pressures overall

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the edge position we are going to need someone on the roster to come out of nowhere and have a huge year. Let's say Xavier Thomas. That happens to other teams, just never seems to happen here. We are overdue for a little lightning in a bottle.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
For the edge position we are going to need someone on the roster to come out of nowhere and have a huge year. Let's say Xavier Thomas. That happens to other teams, just never seems to happen here. We are overdue for a little lightning in a bottle.
Yep he would be my bet.

Thomas was a big time recruit who had lots of issues, but had some good tape at the end of last season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky