2024 Salary Cap rises $31 Million

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
tell ya what...ill bet ya $20.00 in imaginary internet dollars they cut him loose and save the money.
If he's injured, can't they just keep him on IR? Most contracts are protected/insured for injury. He'd still be on the CAP books, but not really costing MB anything, right?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Shilling early, I see :)

How do you know? What's succeeded to you?
It's just a category error. What does "success" mean in free agency? We won't know until next January, and even then there are far too many variables to say that the 2024 free agency class was the primary or even main contributor.

The front office likely has a list of free agents with a range of dollar signs (essentially) next to their names. Some they will sign. If someone gets signed by another team, they move down the list. As long as they get players for each column, they're going to consider it a success. Even if they don't get a top three player in every column.

Eagles GM Howie Roseman used to call around the NFL and offer his midlevel players for a 2nd round pick. Imagine calling up someone and offering Dante Stills for a 2nd round pick. Over and over again. You trust the process and anticipate that it leads to your desired outcome because the process is sound. If it doesn't work out, you adjust the process or get fired.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If he's injured, can't they just keep him on IR? Most contracts are protected/insured for injury. He'd still be on the CAP books, but not really costing MB anything, right?
He still gets paid his contracted salary if he's on the roster and IR. Injury protections are additional guarantees and/or collectively bargained. The Cards would have to pay out another like $2 million to cut Hump when he's injured, but they'd save like $8 million on the cap.

I think it's in both parties' interest to have Hump negotiate his salary down to like $3 million and see what happens either late this year or next.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Side note--

I really have a feeling that the free agent splash could be Jaylon Johnson.

Jaylon, Williams, JT, and Budda is a nasty secondary
Are the Bears strapped for cash? No way they let him walk if they have a choice.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
So the teams we could’ve potentially poached from will likely have a better opportunity to keep their players.
I'm sure the announcement today is something that teams were already expecting...if they were already planning on not tagging a player or moving on from a player, this probably doesn't change much.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Shilling early, I see :)

How do you know? What's succeeded to you?
Not shilling . Just trying to be realistic.

Success for this off season? To me.....

Complete the offense. That includes solidifying the offensive line, filling out the wr room with youth and size, and bringing in the heir apparent to James Conner.
On defense..a couple vet IDL guys to hold it down for 2 or 3 seasons while we develop young guys, a vet journeyman level corner to add some depth and experience to the secondary...and mid to late round developmental picks for IDL and the secondary...corner and safety.

IMO we can't complete both sides of the ball this year. But the draft leans offense as does the league... So complete the O and get it in the top 5 range...that will raise excitement and sell jerseys...add vet experience to the D to buy time to develop late round D projects from this year and early round picks from 2025..

IMO...doing it this way will put us in the wildcard hunt this season and continuing the plan next year should see us a legit playoff team...and have us in position to make a push in 26 as our young guy improve with the possibility of carrying on a couple more seasons as they continue to develop.

That's how I would do it.

Failure, IMO would be signing a couple big names just to generate some excitement and sell some tickets... getting older players for the instant production without viable youth in the pipeline to replace them....and in one sense, trying to spread the draft capital and FA money between offense and defense rather than committing to completing one side with youth now and understanding the other side is going to have to suffer for a while.
I would really like it if,say, three years from now Kyler is the oldest starter on our offense.
I think with the way these guys play for JG this could be a path to sustained success.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Half the league will have good money to spend now. And if the money is mostly equal...... I wonder how many FA's will choose this organization over others.
This was my initial thought as well. Now the good teams that may have been on the border with cap space will now have more money to entice FA's. Who's going to want to come here instead of a place like KC, SF, etc...

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So the teams we could’ve potentially poached from will likely have a better opportunity to keep their players.
I'm sure the announcement today is something that teams were already expecting...if they were already planning on not tagging a player or moving on from a player, this probably doesn't change much.
Yeah it's mostly that we're finding out that the Cards FO had less of a shot than WE originally thought.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was all kinda set up when they made the COVID adjustments wasn't it?

It was all about the new TV deal.

Sportstrac has already updated to the new cap. Kyler's % of cap hit now:

2024: 19.45%
2025: 14.02%
2026: 11.91%

These will still decrease next year. They are still rolling with sub 20 million raise per year and I believe that is the floor of the cap increase not the ceiling.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe we can compete for a playoff spot next year but we absolutely can when your QB is below 15% of the cap as long as they are just average.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Realistically though I don't think this changes how much the other teams will be able to retain their guys... the cost of contracts will scale along with this, most likely.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
There are 12 teams with over $50m in Cap space (top 51), and 9 have more than the Cards.

The bottom line is that teams will be better positioned to retain their FAs.
Tell me how it went for New England a couple years ago when they spent over $150 million in FA ...and sucked. They literally spent a season or 2 positioning themselves to be big spenders and it blew up.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Realistically though I don't think this changes how much the other teams will be able to retain their guys... the cost of contracts will scale along with this, most likely.
This. Teams that have already decided to move on from a player aren't all of a sudden changing their minds. It also doesn't change other teams plans with spending going forward. Could it impact a player or team here and there? Of course, but it isn't going to be some huge supermarket sweep type of thing.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Tell me how it went for New England a couple years ago when they spent over $150 million in FA ...and sucked. They literally spent a season or 2 positioning themselves to be big spenders and it blew up.
Belichick couldn't draft most positions. Then neither could Keim. Hopefully the new regime can.

I expect a couple of mid-level signings of guys on their second contracts. Nothing extravagant.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have no excuses--none--to fail in FA.
I have a feeling Monti will be smart about it & not over spend for aging vets with injury histories. I'm thinking he may sign 1 big name, the rest will be mid tier players that are good & fit the culture they want. He's going to mainly build through the draft. Deals deals & more deals & I love it. It's the Patriots way & where he learned how to do this. Exactly the way you build a team quickly with depth.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After Month left haha jk

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
make no mistake--the draft is where this teams success will be created.

The FA period will be to plug a hole or two. And yes they will have to overspend to beat other teams, its part of the business.
This!

Plug 1-3 starter holes. Try to land a Young superstar if posible (CB Johnson Or DL Madubuike). Otherwise target solid starters to fill glarring gaps.

Build the starpower through the draft Where the teams has the most High picks.

Any left over money - extend 2025 FA agents that you know want to keep (eg. Froholdt, Hernandez, Budda, Dimukaje)