2024 Texans pick watch thread

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
CJ Stroud is not going to be good as a NFL QB. Was never a big fan at OSU

He’ll be good if everything goes perfectly and he’s throwing to wide open receivers.

Rough!

IDK to me the Texans just seem kind of dysfunctional (kind of like us!). Like they can't get out of their own way. And it's not hard to imagine CJ really struggling this year behind a beat up oline.

If the over/under on our 2024 pick from HOU is #11, I think I'd take the under.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hard disagree
Let's say for example that Paris Johnson becomes a good RT and the Cardinals add another solid to good contributor, that trade will have been a good one.

I guess we just have to disagree. And I think that the Texans are a trendyish pick to be better because of recency bias. Sure they added a good DC for head coach, but their offense is very unsettled ATM.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Let's say for example that Paris Johnson becomes a good RT and the Cardinals add another solid to good contributor, that trade will have been a good one.

I guess we just have to disagree. And I think that the Texans are a trendyish pick to be better because of recency bias. Sure they added a good DC for head coach, but their offense is very unsettled ATM.
Yeah no. A good RT and the (maybe) third-best WR, CB, or pass rusher in the following draft does not make for a good deal.

Obviously if PJJ becomes Orlando Brown and the other pick ends up being Patrick Surtain it’s not going to matter if you got good value in the trade. But it’s just as likely (and probably more likely) that we got a B+ RT and Hollywood Brown’s future replacement for the #3 overall pick in the draft.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cutoff for the trade being good is probably about number 7 or 8. 8-12 is a probably a wash, and 12+ is probably not a good trade. I'd probably have to take some time to really think about it though to give you a more exact answer, since there were other trades to factor in.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah no. A good RT and the (maybe) third-best WR, CB, or pass rusher in the following draft does not make for a good deal.

Obviously if PJJ becomes Orlando Brown and the other pick ends up being Patrick Surtain it’s not going to matter if you got good value in the trade. But it’s just as likely (and probably more likely) that we got a B+ RT and Hollywood Brown’s future replacement for the #3 overall pick in the draft.
Well if you go by the trade value chart, the Cardinals won that trade easily even if the Texans win the Super Bowl. So the 18th pick means they won the trade convincingly as well.

RT? LT? It doesn't matter like it used to.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The range of outcomes here are meh to the greatest trade in Cardinals history.
This isn’t even close to the value we got in the Andre Wadsworth trade.

Carson Palmer trade likely better. Probably the Chandler Jones trade as well.

The range of outcomes obviously matters.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well if you go by the trade value chart, the Cardinals won that trade easily even if the Texans win the Super Bowl. So the 18th pick means they won the trade convincingly as well.

RT? LT? It doesn't matter like it used to.
It we drafted DJ Humphries but Rught Tackle #6 overall and wait a year to get Deone Buccannon the result is pretty mid.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This isn’t even close to the value we got in the Andre Wadsworth trade.

Carson Palmer trade likely better. Probably the Chandler Jones trade as well.

The range of outcomes obviously matters.

The Palmer trade is definitely top tier. There is an outcome where you end up with 3+ first round picks and multiple second round picks for moving down 9 spots.

There is also an outcome where you end up with like pick 15 and that is just a meh trade.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Huh???

The Cardinals got the player that they wanted in Paris Johnson and added the Texans 2024 1st and 3rd round picks. In what world is that not a good deal?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mills is back under center by midseason.
Let's not go that far. Barring injury, they don't bench the #2 overall pick half way through his rookie year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's not go that far. Barring injury, they don't bench the #2 overall pick half way through his rookie year.
That Houston OL could be atrocious, so the Texans might not want to see Stroud have to endure what David Carr did back in the day. It’s way too early, but the couple times in his entire career at OSU that he didn’t have a very, very clean pocket, the results were not pretty.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Houston OL could be atrocious, so the Texans might not want to see Stroud have to endure what David Carr did back in the day. It’s way too early, but the couple times in his entire career at OSU that he didn’t have a very, very clean pocket, the results were not pretty.
Then they would be better off not starting him at all. I see 0 chance, zero of them starting CJ week 1, and then pulling him midseason to save him from his OL.

Has that ever happened?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then they would be better off not starting him at all. I see 0 chance, zero of them starting CJ week 1, and then pulling him midseason to save him from his OL.

Has that ever happened?
Maybe Zach Wilson? Granted, I think it was an injury that sent him to the bench his rookie season. But, being drafted 2nd overall hasn’t meant a thing to his career path. And I’m not certain that Stroud isn’t just as bad as Wilson has been.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Zach Wilson? Granted, I think it was an injury that sent him to the bench his rookie season. But, being drafted 2nd overall hasn’t meant a thing to his career path. And I’m not certain that Stroud isn’t just as bad as Wilson has been.
They benched him because he was terrible, even if his line was bad. It isn't like he was ballin and the Jets saved him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Huh???

The Cardinals got the player that they wanted in Paris Johnson and added the Texans 2024 1st and 3rd round picks. In what world is that not a good deal?
I find it refreshing actually, to see the Cardinals use a high pick on an OL. Too often you'd see the Cardinals do something stupid like trade down and take Jordan Addison because they knew they needed a receiver to replace Hopkins and they still have Beachum. We know how that works out: Addison is injured rookie year, Beachum breaks down, while Johnson becomes a stud.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Very dumb to predict a horrific injury too.

What if the OSU plane crashes and 7-8 potential first rounders die.

Trey guy is projecting what is likely. Marvin will be a Cardinal. Either thru Houston or their own pick.
First off you went overboard with the plane comment, very poor choice of words. Injuries happen, not hoping that happens but my comment not any dumber that trying to predict something happening almost a year away.

I have a sneaking suspicion along with a lot of others that ARZ is going to take Caleb Williams with #1 overall pick should they land it. If HOU actually does end up #2 and that is not a safe assumption, I think they trade down and acquire more picks which isn't exactly off brand, they passed up on arguably the best player in this year's draft to do that.