2024 Twitter Thread (News of the Cards)

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All rebuilds are not the same (as I'm sure you know Chop).

Part of it is a function of from where our rebuild started.

We weren't just on square one. We were on square minus-one.
exactly. Basically we had 5 players of any quality.

Kyler, McBride, the 2 safeties, and Connor.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

This rebuild feels extremely rigid and lacking urgency which are the biggest issues I have with it. One point that I would quibble with is Monti took it to square minus-one on his own by his actions year 1. He choose that path (IMO).

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m just being realistic.

If we haven’t improved the pass rush by the start of next season then criticism will be fair.
Where I feel you are being unrealistic is that the Cardinals are where they are while still having significant, unused financial resources. After a second off-season this roster still lacks top end talent as well as depth. All while having 25 mil sitting in the bank. As I said in another thread, the Denver Broncos will be a great litmus test in terms of progress this season. If they outperform the Cardinals whilst having dumped a bunch of resources in the Russ trade and taking Nix this year in round 1, then it shows the Cardinals have issues.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Agreed. Keim had the roster and cap in a bad place. Those situations take time.

People often bring up teams that go from worst to first. But there's an average of 1 team per year that does that and only 4 of them had a 3 win or worse season and the vast majority replaced a trash QB with a very good one. That's where most instant success has come from, changing Quarterback.

In fact only 3 times this century have teams made the turnaround by only replacing the Head Coach and keeping the same QB.

2004 Falcons with Vick and Jim Mora
2017 Jags with Bortles and Doug Marrone
2018 Bears with Trubisky and Nagy

It's very rare for a team to keep their QB and have instant turnaround.

And a massive factor is how strong or weak the rest of the division is. We're in a very strong division.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
with the cap space the team has, Monti could have easily subbed in a high end talent vs Nichols or Jones AND added Bryce Hauff for basically 3yrs / $34mm AND still had reasonable cap space now and next year

to pick the biggest IOL signing for perspective -- Christian Wilkins has a $10mm cap hit this year, vs Justin Jones $6.6mm

my galaxy brain says that in spite of the public statements where they are all in on Kyler, they are using this year as his prove it year. IF he doesnt prove it -- they the space is reserved to let him go next offseason

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Always next year. The entire front seven has one player that would start for half the teams in the NFL.
Your infatuation of wanting to be a middling team like the Saints have been for the past couple of years now is so insane to me.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Your infatuation of wanting to be a middling team like the Saints have been for the past couple of years now is so insane to me.
How do you compare Kyler to Carr? I think the argument for upgrading the roster through mid NFL FAs is that Kyler could potentially be a top 10 QB, and a deep roster with low risk, mid cost, short term FAs allows you to compete in the short term while your draft picks develop for the long term.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
IMO, teams get stuck in the middle two ways. They are either capped at QB or they are capped financially because of long term, expensive contracts for non-top 10 players at non-premium positions.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Always next year. The entire front seven has one player that would start for half the teams in the NFL.
Curious... Who are you refering to?

The 1st round pick that has looked the part so far?
The DT that started every game healthy for two teams the last four seasons?
The NT that started every game healthy for two teams the last three seasons?
The MLB that was backing up two older stars and then played good the first time he got a chance to start?
The OLB that has been playing multiple positions in multiple schemes that played really well at OLB but was never looked great in the aspect of pass rushing?
Or the high draft pick that has showed potential but is out for what was expected to be a break-out season?

The front 7 lacks the high-end talent, but to claim no one is starting material is a joke.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
People often bring up teams that go from worst to first.

Only Ricky Bobby thinks like this. There is upward movement from last that isn't just first.

You have to win 9 games before you can win 12.

Curious... Who are you refering to?

The 1st round pick that has looked the part so far?
The NT that started every game healthy for two teams the last three seasons?
The MLB that was backing up two older stars and then started every game while playing good the first time he got a chance to start?
The OLB that has been playing multiple positions in multiple schemes that played really well at OLB but was never looked great in the aspect of pass rushing?
Or the high draft pick that has showed potential but is out for what was expected to be a break-out season?

The front 7 lacks the high-end talent, but to claim no one is starting material is a joke.

I'm specifically talking about Kyzir White.

1st round pick is injured and not playing. The three DL are marginal starters who would make any NFL roster but wouldn't start for a ton of teams.

All the rest of this is COPE.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I'm specifically talking about Kyzir White.

1st round pick is injured and not playing. The three DL are marginal starters who would make any NFL roster but wouldn't start for a ton of teams.

All the rest of this is COPE.
Sorry, that is just incorrect. Jones and Nicols has started all their games for the last four seasons, while having the highest % of snaps on the entire DL. Lopez has started every game, where he was healthy to play over the last three seasons.

IMO Nicols and Jones would be the #2 DT on most teams in the league. Lopez #3. The team lacks the #1 high-end talent. That doesn't make the others non-starting material.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sorry, that is just incorrect. Jones and Nicols has started all their games for the last four seasons, while having the highest % of snaps on the entire DL. Lopez has started every game, where he was healthy to play over the last three seasons.

IMO Nicols and Jones would be the #2 DT on most teams in the league. Lopez #3. The team lacks the #1 high-end talent. That doesn't make the others non-starting material.

It's not, and that's fine. Jones and Lopez in particular were playing for unserious teams uninterested in competing for anything.

Nichols was the third- or maybe fourth-best player on that Raiders defensive line last season. Good for him but let's not get crazy here.

There's a reason these guys are with their third teams and making relatively little money compared to their positional averages. Maybe they're Froholdt-level diamonds in the rough, but as you've noted, they've both played a ton of snaps before arriving here.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Where I feel you are being unrealistic is that the Cardinals are where they are while still having significant, unused financial resources. After a second off-season this roster still lacks top end talent as well as depth. All while having 25 mil sitting in the bank. As I said in another thread, the Denver Broncos will be a great litmus test in terms of progress this season. If they outperform the Cardinals whilst having dumped a bunch of resources in the Russ trade and taking Nix this year in round 1, then it shows the Cardinals have issues.
Yeah, I just don't agree that year two of a rebuild is the time to spend money.

Realistically 30 million is not going to make you a real competitor. We have so many young guys you have to let them get some playing time to know what you actually have and improve enough to where you could possibly contend.

If all goes well that is next year - and always has been. It is a 3 year process.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards D is really 3 impact players away from being good enough, and 2 of them may already be on the team.

We need an impact D lineman, an impact edge, and a #1 corner. We have tons of young corners, one could step up and become what we need. Robinson could be the impact DL we need.

Ojilari is out but is probably not the pass rusher we need, but you can't count him out totally. This will be the number 1 priority for next off season.

What we need is for our young players to improve, if they do our D will look a lot better than most currently think it will.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I wonder why he didn't decide to stay with us, because according to posters on here we don't have to worry about practice squad players being taken from us.

I'm glad we at least got Barnes on the active roster now.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder why he didn't decide to stay with us, because according to posters on here we don't have to worry about practice squad players being taken from us.

I'm glad we at least got Barnes on the active roster now.

A practice squad player can be signed by another team, but only if they are signed to the active roster. Also a practice squad player cannot be signed to another team if they play each other within a week. So for example the Bills cannot currently sign a player from the Cardinals PS at this time.

Reaction score
This rebuild feels extremely rigid and lacking urgency which are the biggest issues I have with it. One point that I would quibble with is Monti took it to square minus-one on his own by his actions year 1. He choose that path (IMO).
The thing is Monti is rebuilding for long term success instead of a quick shortsided rebuild. That doesn't happen in one year. It can if you want to be competitive right away but that doesn't ensure the long term success that MO is looking to build. He's already cleaned up the cap & dead money issues. Now he's starting to build the team. The O is almost there & next will be the D.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky