49ers signs Isaac Bruce 2-year deal

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Your comparison to Rice is laughable, Bruce will come no where close to matching what Rice did in his two seasons as a Raider.
My comparison is Rice is based on physical condition. Rice was able to keep it together until he got past 40. Bruce has got 1-2 productive years left and is the prototype for Martz's offense. If he can turn Mike Furrey into a (near)100 catch, 1,000 yard receiver then Bruce will be fine. Also, Bruce's roll won't be as an afterthought, especially in year one with SF. 14 yards/catch, 1,000 yds and 5-7 td's. Rice averaged 1,100 and 8 his first two years in Oakland.

I'm also a little tired of the criticism of Bruce "not taking hits". Like Marvin Harrison? Also, teams play the Rams in a way that big plays aren't likely. The focus on the dig route with safeties playing deep. Add to that, Bulger's relative lack of arm strength and very little pass protection and deep plays down the sideline aren't called very often either.

When the Bobby Wade's of the world are making $4 million I don't think it's as far fetched to pay Bruce what he was promised. It's been reported, for Card's fans that might have any interest in this drama, when Bruce restructured his last deal a couple years ago he was promised, and agreed to, $4million for '08 and the vet minimum after that. Once it came time to pay, the Rams backed out and Bruce went and signed essentially the same deal to play for Martz and be appreciated.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

Under Martz, Davis will be utilized very well. I can only imagine what Martz has in store for VD.

We wont be a great offense next year but definitely improved and fans here will be interested....

/QUOTE]

consider me a skeptic

Martz had never utilized a TE in his offenses. His approach has always been 3 and 4 wides, and while Davis might have WR straight line speed, he is akward in and out of breaks. To paraphrase a SF football writer on Vernon Davis -- "a TE blessed with wide receiver speed and built like a defensive end - but unfortunately, with a defensive end's receiving skills as well."

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Consider me skeptical on Davis as well. Can one be optimistically skeptical? Martz likes playing with toys and if anyone can devise a way to make Davis an offensive weapon, I'd say Martz can.

Some have said his offenses are based on WR's. Others have said that his offenses are based on the RB. Still others consider the QB the basis of his offenses. I think his offenses are foremost about mismatchs and cohesion. Martz doesn't use audibles at the line. The plays he calls are fluid and aren't changed at the line. The QB and skill players are expected to make presnap reads and adjustments within the play that was called. That's a big part of why there's usually a 1 year learning curve. I expect O'Sullivan to get a lot of early work and between Hill and Smith, whoever catches on better and is making quicker decisions, will win the starter's job. At this point, I think Hill's going to be the starter based on what little I saw of SF last year(4 or so games). He seems to get it and Smith just looks like he doesn't. Maybe if Smith is 100% healthy he can "flip the switch" but I'm doubtful.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike Nolan could very well be on a one year improvement plan or he is out. Bruce's learning curve for Martz' offense is about one day. He fits in that one year probation for Nolan and Martz perfectly.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Consider me skeptical on Davis as well. Can one be optimistically skeptical? Martz likes playing with toys and if anyone can devise a way to make Davis an offensive weapon, I'd say Martz can.

Some have said his offenses are based on WR's. Others have said that his offenses are based on the RB. Still others consider the QB the basis of his offenses. I think his offenses are foremost about mismatchs and cohesion. Martz doesn't use audibles at the line. The plays he calls are fluid and aren't changed at the line. The QB and skill players are expected to make presnap reads and adjustments within the play that was called. That's a big part of why there's usually a 1 year learning curve. I expect O'Sullivan to get a lot of early work and between Hill and Smith, whoever catches on better and is making quicker decisions, will win the starter's job. At this point, I think Hill's going to be the starter based on what little I saw of SF last year(4 or so games). He seems to get it and Smith just looks like he doesn't. Maybe if Smith is 100% healthy he can "flip the switch" but I'm doubtful.

a reason I found the Martz hiring really odd. A big name, so the casual bay area fan might react postively, but a curious choice for the 49ers.

Nolan needs to win next year. Almost everyone agrees that Martz's system is incredibly complex and has a steep learning curve. Suggests a slow start and maybe a long year for Nolan.

SF's best offensive weapon is a running back yet Martz loves to throw at the expense of the running game (despite hiring day proclaimations to the contrary from him).

Nolan seems to be an old school, run the football, dont turn it over, play tough D kinda coach -- Martz is a wing it around, a few ints are no big deal coordinator.

Martz need smart WRs who (as you noted above) can make correct reads on the fly, go over the middle and make a tough catch. Issac Bruce aside, the 49er receivers (Davis included) are generally physically gifted but not known for their savvy (to be diplomatic) or toughness and have bad hands.

the Martz move, plus the Justin Smith move makes it seem to me like McCloughan (?) is getting things ready for the next coach he hires rather than helping Mike Nolan (his old boss) survive 2008.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
When the Bobby Wade's of the world are making $4 million I don't think it's as far fetched to pay Bruce what he was promised. It's been reported, for Card's fans that might have any interest in this drama, when Bruce restructured his last deal a couple years ago he was promised, and agreed to, $4million for '08 and the vet minimum after that. Once it came time to pay, the Rams backed out and Bruce went and signed essentially the same deal to play for Martz and be appreciated.

It's funny that you mention Wade because he and Bruce had nearly identical stats last season. Wade had 53 rec. for 647 yards & 3 TD's while Bruce had 55 rec. for 733 yards and 4 TD's.

The difference is Wade is 26 and Bruce is 35, so S.F. basically got an old Bobby Wade to upgrade their WR's. I don't see that as a good move by San Francisco.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Wade played in all 16 games, Bruce did not, had almost 100 yards less in the same amount of receptions, has never had a 1,000 yard season, has a career 11.9 ypc vs. Bruce's 15.0 ypc and to top it all off, Bruce already knows Martz's system. But, Wade did count for almost $1 million more against the cap last year.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
the Martz move, plus the Justin Smith move makes it seem to me like McCloughan (?) is getting things ready for the next coach he hires rather than helping Mike Nolan (his old boss) survive 2008.
Well, I think you're right but only to a degree. Martz is an odd choice for practically any team that hires him. He's paranoid, moody, emotional and many other things that you wouldn't necessarily want from a coach. However, his players LOVE him. "His" players. He isn't shy about abandoning the run but doesn't avoid the RB in principle. If he has the right RB, he will use the baloney out of him. I don't know if Gore will be that type of RB or not. Multi-dimensional is the key but I think if Gore can consistantly make a guy miss at the point of attack, he'll do well.

Martz likes to flood the defense and block with only 5 or 6. This means a back that can make a guy miss will have some nice holes down the field. Ideally, if Gore had the speed to outrun a LB or DE on a pass route, Martz's system would fly. Martz's running game in it's heyday was all about situational running. Running when the defense isn't keying on it. He has some standard running plays but he doesn't like to run, run, pass. He will not give a team a power running game.

Any of the grumbling that his players have voiced about wanting to run it more is generally because they haven't run it well under his terms. Also, as good as Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson are, they aren't particularly suited to what Martz(I think) likes best. I think Martz would have actually done pretty well with Washington's recievers.

I don't know much about Darrel Jackson other than he's had some good years in Seattle. He may or may not fit into what Martz wants to do. I think he'll do alright though just because of his experience. The main thing is getting the QB comfortable and for him to buy into throwing to spots. Having faith that a receiver is going to get to where you've already thrown the ball is a hard habit for QB's to learn. With Smith's lack of arm strength, it might just be a big boost to his career. It's about the only style of play that can benefit him it seems.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
a reason I found the Martz hiring really odd. A big name, so the casual bay area fan might react postively, but a curious choice for the 49ers.

Nolan needs to win next year. Almost everyone agrees that Martz's system is incredibly complex and has a steep learning curve. Suggests a slow start and maybe a long year for Nolan.

SF's best offensive weapon is a running back yet Martz loves to throw at the expense of the running game (despite hiring day proclaimations to the contrary from him).

Nolan seems to be an old school, run the football, dont turn it over, play tough D kinda coach -- Martz is a wing it around, a few ints are no big deal coordinator.

Martz need smart WRs who (as you noted above) can make correct reads on the fly, go over the middle and make a tough catch. Issac Bruce aside, the 49er receivers (Davis included) are generally physically gifted but not known for their savvy (to be diplomatic) or toughness and have bad hands.

Can't resist making a couple comments. On Bruce: He can still play. He put up solid numbers two years ago in a system that wasn't really suited for him. Last year was a total disaster for the Rams offensively, so of course his numbers went down dramatically. He's a perfect fit for Martz's offense, and as long as he stays healthy, he'll be very productive. He might even make the Niners lousy QBs look better. On Martz: Yeah, the system is complicated. He had success immediately in St. Louis because the team had been running a similar system using the same terminology in the years before he arrived, and because Warner and Faulk are ridiculously bright. Unless Frank Gore and whoever wins the suck battle at QB are equally smart, it's gonna take some adjustment time before the Niners get much going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05