49ers waive veteran linebacker Brandon Moore, Sign Takeo Spikes

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3528627

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The San Francisco 49ers signed two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes on Sunday, hours after waiving former starter Brandon Moore.

Spikes is expected to start alongside Patrick Willis, the NFL's reigning defensive rookie of the year, at strong inside linebacker in the team's 3-4 defense.

"It's going to be one of the strongest linebacking corps in the middle with him and Patrick," said defensive end Justin Smith, who teamed with Spikes for two seasons in Cincinnati.
"Great guy. As far as football goes, he's just a leader. He's got that quality about him. He knows his stuff. He pays attention to his film study. He's prepared. He's the type of guy you need on a defense. That's a plus."

Spikes spent 10 seasons with the Bengals, Buffalo Bills and Philadelphia Eagles. His season with the Eagles last year ended with a torn rotator cuff in the 14th game. He finished with 85 tackles, including 63 solo stops, and one sack.

Moore started 10 games in 2005 and 11 in 2006, when he led the team in tackles with 114 and sacks with 6½. He lost his starting job last year.

"I think the biggest thing is we've gotten better since then, from a personnel standpoint," 49ers coach Mike Nolan said of Moore's 2006 season. "Obviously (with) Patrick Willis inside, that exposes the guys next to (him) a lot."

Jeff Ulbrich started the 49ers' exhibition opener Friday night against the Oakland Raiders at inside linebacker next to Willis. Rookie Larry Grant is behind Ulbrich on the depth chart while Dontarrious Thomas, a free-agent pickup, is behind Willis.

Thomas had a team-leading eight tackles in his 49ers debut. He primarily played special teams with the Minnesota Vikings last year.

"I think it showed some glimpses of what I can do," Thomas said. "I'm still learning the defense. It was a solid game."

Game notes
Quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan took every snap with the first team in 11-on-11 drills. Alex Smith worked with the second team, but Nolan said there was no significance to that order or the fact that Shaun Hill did not appear in those drills. Nolan said he probably won't name a starting quarterback for Saturday night's home exhibition game against the Green Bay Packers "for a couple days. " ... Offensive tackle Damane Duckett will undergo surgery on his left knee and be placed on injured reserve, ending his season. Duckett has a broken bone under his kneecap that needs to be repaired. With Duckett going on IR, the 49ers have another open roster spot. The 49ers signed guard Chris Patrick, a first-year player out of Nebraska who has already spent time with the Giants, Patriots, Packers and Lions.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So at what point can a linebacker 'back less?
Hopefully for the Cardinals in regard to Spikes the answer is: right about now.

Statistically, Moore was serviceable at his peak. Spikes was stellar during his peak (03?).

Injured in Buffalo, slowly his tackle count has been creeping back up near the 100's. But derailed once again by injuries...

To quote the Counting Crows, "I am not overly concerned".
But I liked it better when some guy named Moore was a starter, over some guy who's name I actually know from his days on a repugnant Cincinnati team.

... does anyone actually get the grease I'm laying down?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always liked Moore he's a terrific pass rusher for a LB. Don't know if he's big enough for the 3-4 but he was one of those guys that every year the 49ers drafted or signed someone to replace him and they couldn't keep him off the field. I think he had some injuries the last 2 years.

he's Rob Moore's brother.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I always liked Moore he's a terrific pass rusher for a LB. Don't know if he's big enough for the 3-4 but he was one of those guys that every year the 49ers drafted or signed someone to replace him and they couldn't keep him off the field. I think he had some injuries the last 2 years.

he's Rob Moore's brother.

... so? :bhiich: ?

Hey, we haven't used that in a while. It felt nice to retire it.

Still, get him, have him tell us what the Niners are doing defensively and use him on special teams.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brandon Moore ad one great year, and has played horrible the last two years. Not much of a pass rusher in the 3-4 defense, probably would be better in the 4-3.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon Moore ad one great year, and has played horrible the last two years. Not much of a pass rusher in the 3-4 defense, probably would be better in the 4-3.

I'm not sure I agree. 2006 was his best year, 92 tackles, 6.5 sacks, played in all 16 games only started 11. Last year he started just 1 game 22 tackles.

2005 he had 5 sacks and 71 tackles, played in all 16 games started 10. I'd say 05 and 06 were pretty comparable years, last year he simply wasn't part of the plan anymore they brought in Willis and Moore was inside in a 3-4. Like I mentioned he's not big enough to be a OLB in the 3-4 only about 240, and with Lawson being a high pick and Banta Cain brought in he got aced out. Honestly he outplayed Lawson by a large margin in Lawson's rookie year when lawson was starting, but it's obvious they think Lawson is the future and he probably is, same weight as Moore, taller more of a natural OLB in a 3-4 I guess.

I always liked him I just don't think he's a 3-4 guy he winds up inside which isn't really his strong suit.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
yeah -- odd

for a team that doesnt have a single proven pass rusher on the roster, you would think that they would keep him for third down duty, if nothing else.

on another completely somewhat random note-- of the 49ers 31 sacks last year -- players who contributed 12 of those sacks, or 38% are no longer with the team.

For a defensive guy -- its puzzling that Nolan hasnt put a premium on getting guys who can get to the QB

Last edited:

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
definitely an upgrade over Moore. He showed promise a couple years ago and havent been the same since. I dont know how well Spikes will do but definitely better than what we seen with Moore.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely an upgrade over Moore. He showed promise a couple years ago and havent been the same since. I dont know how well Spikes will do but definitely better than what we seen with Moore.

To clarify I wasn't saying Moore was better than Spikes, just that I was surprised to see Moore cut because he's been a pretty good pass rusher on a team that lacks them. But the problem is as Ronin said, he doesn't fit the scheme the 49ers run, nor the one the Cards run he's more of a 4-3 player.

I always thought it would be interesting if he ended up a Cardinal since his older brother Rob played here and now works on the radio telecasts.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
definitely an upgrade over Moore.

I dont know

I think there is a reason why a guy with such an outstanding history was still unemployed in mid-August.

Typically a player at that stage in his career takes a vet minimum w/incentives type contract for a clear cut playoff contender -- this is the type guy that the Patriots seem to collect --

so I just wonder why the phone wasnt ringing for him

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dont know

I think there is a reason why a guy with such an outstanding history was still unemployed in mid-August.

Typically a player at that stage in his career takes a vet minimum w/incentives type contract for a clear cut playoff contender -- this is the type guy that the Patriots seem to collect --

so I just wonder why the phone wasnt ringing for him
Here's one of the reasons
You must be registered for see images

Takeo Spikes asking price was a little to steep for some teams.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Spikes is about as slow as they come. Hasnt regained any of his speed he once had before his complete achilles tear just two years ago. But they may not be an issue as his main job will be to occupy blockers in the middle and keep them off of Willis. But I am not sure if he has the strength yet to do that considering he hasnt practiced since his big rotator cuff injury took him out last season. His shoulder is going to be week still considering the magnitude of that injury.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
... so? :bhiich: ?

Hey, we haven't used that in a while. It felt nice to retire it.

Still, get him, have him tell us what the Niners are doing defensively and use him on special teams.
You called this one!:thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05