49ers Willis to Dockett - Without Warner..Same Ol Cardinals

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The voice came from behind Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle Darnell Dockett as the NFC bus made its way to Thursday morning's Pro Bowl practice here.
"That big decision is coming tomorrow [Friday]," the voice bellowed.

Before joining the Cards, Kurt Warner won two MVP awards in St. Louis along with a Super Bowl. (AP)
Dockett turned to see who was doing the talking. It was San Francisco 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis, who plays in the same NFC West with Dockett and the Cardinals.
The big decision is the pending announcement by Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, who's expected to retire Friday.
Willis, you see, is all for the move. Why wouldn't he be?
"Go ahead and let him retire," Willis told Dockett. "You'll be the same, old Cardinals again."
"Nooooo," Dockett said. "Don't say that."
By saying the "same, old Cardinals," Willis means the Cardinals that have been losers for most of their time in Arizona. With Warner, the Cardinals went to their first Super Bowl last season and won the NFC West the past two, getting eliminated from this year's playoffs by the New Orleans Saints two weeks ago.
Warner is a Hall of Fame passer who might be an even better guy. His loss will be felt inside that locker room, but also around the league if he does decide to retire. Nobody knows his final decision yet, but the indications are he's ready to walk.
Warner isn't the kind of player who holds a news conference to say he's staying.
"He's been a big part of my career since I've been here," Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle said after Thursday's Pro Bowl practice. "He's a great teammate and a great leader. He's been an outstanding role model."
Warner is the type of player the NFL loves. He's great, he's accommodating, he's helpful to any teammates who ask and he doesn't get into trouble.
You won't find this father of seven in a Tiger-like scandal. That's why he's the kind of player opponents admire.
Warner links
QB to hold news conference on Friday

"If he does retire, the league will lose a great player but an even better person," Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said.
I asked Willis about his crack on the bus, and he laughed. "I'm not saying he needs to go, but I don't mind if he does," Willis said.
Warner is 38 and he has played 12 seasons. He has had concussion issues and he took a violent shot in the loss to the Saints two weeks ago. After that game, Warner said he wouldn't wait long to make his decision about playing another season.
"He's had a hell of a career," Dockett said. "I have to take my hat off to him."

Warner considered retirement after the 2008 season, but decided to stick around and the Cardinals gave him a two-year contract that paid him $23 million. He also received a $15 million signing bonus. The Cardinals could ask for half of that back, but that's unlikely considering what he helped the franchise do, which was to overcome the loser label.
Warner won two MVPs with the St. Louis Rams before coming to the Cardinals. He also led the Rams to two Super Bowls, winning one. That means he has played in three, losing two. Not bad for a player who wasn't drafted.
It is a Hall of Fame resume for a Hall of Fame person. This is the kind of man Warner is: I once had a scheduled meeting with him in Arizona, but my flight was delayed and I was late. When I landed, I had two messages on my phone from Warner checking on me to see what was up.
Most players simply blow it off and move on. Warner actually cared.
One summer, I bumped into him at a dolphins swim in Orlando. I saw him before he saw me and got the chance to see him interact with his handicapped son, who he adopted. The care and love was evident from across the lagoon.
The man has a big heart. That is not an act either. He is every bit as real as he comes across.
Watching Warner read defenses and throw with pinpoint accuracy has been a real treat. That ability to read defenses and make accurate, on-time throws earned him a nickname with his teammates.
"We call him The Surgeon," Rolle said. "He cuts you apart."
The Cardinals will now turn to Matt Leinart, drafted in the first round in 2006. Leinart was actually the starter ahead of Warner in 2007, but when he got hurt Warner took over and has started every game since.
Is Leinart the long-term answer? Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt is a firm believer he can be.
"Whoever steps in those shoes has some big shoes to fill," Dockett said.
"Leinart steps in those shoes," I said to Dockett.
"Will he?" Dockett said. "I don't know. You never know. Pretty sure it's going to be a competitive job after Kurt, so you don't know."
That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement by a teammate for Leinart. But that's for down the road. This week, it's about The Surgeon hanging up his cutting knife.
"I love Kurt as a person," Dockett said. "He's a good guy on and off the field. That takes something out of the locker room. You respect him. You look up to him. We're going to miss him."
We all are.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Willis is truly one of the good guys of the NFL. No doubt he and DD are enjoying the fun and sun in FLA...

And truth be told, what Willis is joking about has a pretty solid chance of being more than some ribbing type comments... Guess we'll see...

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Like the 49ers have any room to talk.

Without Montana or Young....same old crap there too.

We've still got a much better chance to take this division with Leinart than they have of finishing above .500 with Alex Freaking Smith.

Fix your own problems first before you start yapping about ours...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Ugh, what a depressing article. Nothing more frightening than "SOC" returning...Glad to hear DD has Leinart's back...

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Willis is one of my favorite NFL players. He is a great guy off the field and one of the most exciting players to watch. That said the 9ers suck.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Yep, we were the same ol' cards when Warner was here before Whis.
In fact, Matt Leinart has a higher winning percentage (.437) as the starting quarterback for the Cardinals than Kurt Warner does (.404) in their careers.

If you look at "Pre-Whiz" you can easily say that Leinart did more with less than Kurt did with less. Kurt was 3-12 as QB, Matt was 4-7.

Obviously you can make any point you want with stats, and obviously Warner is the better QB, but the point here is that in the Cards' case, the head coach probably has had a greater influence in the success of this team.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, we were the same ol' cards when Warner was here before Whis.

Precisely, it was a KW that turned things around but it was Ken Whisenhunt not Kurt Warner.

Players that were on the team in 2006 that went 5-11 that were also on the team that went to the SB.

Warner,Edge,Fitz,Boldin,LaTui,RWells,Dockett,Dansby,Wilson,Rolle,Berry,Okeafor,Watson,Ware,Franscisco,Pope, Leinart and Rackers.

And you know what? That 5-11 team still beat the 49ers twice, once with Warner starting and once with Leinart starting, costing SF the NFC West Championship.

:koolaid:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The most telling part of that article are Docketts comments. Ouch. Not much confidence there.

Hopefully he is as wrong as Alan Faneca was when he proclaimed Big Ben wasn't ready when Tommy Maddox (Tommy Maddox!?) went down.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
The most telling part of that article are Docketts comments. Ouch. Not much confidence there.

Hopefully he is as wrong as Alan Faneca was when he proclaimed Big Ben wasn't ready when Tommy Maddox (Tommy Maddox!?) went down.

I wouldn't put 9-0 at the top of my list as a judge of character or quality.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't trust Matt, but I do trust Wiz.

Are we Super Bowl contenders anymore? No. But we will be soon as long as Wiz is around.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Me to Willis,

"The Same Ol' Cards" have won two straight division Titles, so yes, I think they will be the "same ol Cards."

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I don't trust Matt, but I do trust Wiz.

Are we Super Bowl contenders anymore? No. But we will be soon as long as Wiz is around.
Which is exactly why we need to lock him up long term and NOW!

If the Bidwells/Graves screw that up and let him walk, they might as well move the team again.

Oly

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Memo to 9-0, If your defense is going to keep giving up 45 points a game in the playoffs I would think Matt Leinart would be the least of your concerns.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
It depends on who the starting QB would be if it wasn't Warner and what the Cardinals would have in place. It would have taken a better to much better defense to win without Warner tho. If Leinart can't get it done, the Cardinals will have to find someone who can. There's quite a few things that will need to be addressed this off season.