5/21/2005 Insider scouting report Suns vs Spurs

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
Mohammed might not be "the pile of dog crap" that some people here think he is, but make no mistake. The gap is wide. We are talking about the difference between a top 10 player in the NBA and someone who isn't in the top 100.

Joe Mama

Or you could look at it like Stoudamire is a top 3 center and Mohammed is probably in the top 12 or so. Since coming to the Spurs, he's averaged 6.2 pts, 1.4 blocks, and 6.4 rbs per game, not great, but considering he's only averaging 18 min, or about half of what Stoudamire is averaging, as the 3rd or 4th option on a defensive minded team and I think he's better than even you give him credit for. I for one am pretty excited about seeing him with the Spurs next year, with a full Spurs conditioning, and training camp, and understanding the offensive and defensive philosophy.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I can already think of 18 Centers I'd rather have... but we're not disrespecting Nazr. How could anybody put the Spurs ahead in that match-up?

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
I can already think of 18 Centers I'd rather have... but we're not disrespecting Nazr. How could anybody put the Spurs ahead in that match-up?

Well I'd certainly take Stoudamire over Mohammed. I'm a Spurs fan, but i'm not a moron. The only thing I can think the writer was thinking is that Stoudamire isn't a true center, and Mohammed would probably get lots of help from Duncan. :shrug: Like I said, I'd give that advantage clearly to the Suns.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:

I'd be curious to hear those 18 centers.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
That is a good observation, being that Duncan can move to Center... I just think that he made a mistake.

Okay don't everybody start nothing with ME and my 18 Centers now but:

Dalembert
Curry
Ilgauskas
B Wallace
J O'Neal
S O'Neal
Haywood (hey I like him)
Dampier
Ming
Gasol/Swift - whichever is the Center
Magloire
Camby/Nene
Ratliff
J James (he's coming on along with Nazr and doesn't have Duncan alongside)
Okur (offensively)
Kaman (against the Suns anyways)
A Stoudemire
B Miller

There's 18, although some should be considered PF's I believe they all play at Center... I even like Chris Mihm but he's not there yet. Four of these are every bit as questionable as Nazr, IMO.

Sorry I'm not dissing the Spurs, they have been sort of my favorite team outside of the Suns since Duncan was a RC but I only root for the Suns.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
That is a good observation, being that Duncan can move to Center... I just think that he made a mistake.

Okay don't everybody start nothing with ME and my 18 Centers now but:

Dalembert
Curry
Ilgauskas
B Wallace
J O'Neal
S O'Neal
Haywood (hey I like him)
Dampier
Ming
Gasol/Swift - whichever is the Center
Magloire
Camby/Nene
Ratliff
J James (he's coming on along with Nazr and doesn't have Duncan alongside)
Okur (offensively)
Kaman (against the Suns anyways)
A Stoudemire
B Miller

There's 18, although some should be considered PF's I believe they all play at Center... I even like Chris Mihm but he's not there yet. Four of these are every bit as questionable as Nazr, IMO.

Sorry I'm not dissing the Spurs, they have been sort of my favorite team outside of the Suns since Duncan was a RC but I only root for the Suns.

I'd certainly give you Stoudemire, O'Neal (both), Okur, Ilgauskas, Ming, Wallace, Gasol (listed as PF, but looks like C to me too), Magliore, Miller and probably Camby and I'll even throw in one you didn't in Okefor. But alot of those guys looks like you just threw them on the list to get to 18. Kamen, James, Curry, Haywood, Ratliffe???? Come on!!! The rest of the guys I'd consider a toss up, but since Mohammed is on the Spurs i'd give him the nod (not a homer nod), but coaching, conditioning and system nod going into next year.

I guess its a senseless arguement since its based on personal opinion.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
HookemCards said:
I'd certainly give you Stoudemire, O'Neal (both), Okur, Ilgauskas, Ming, Wallace, Gasol (listed as PF, but looks like C to me too), Magliore, Miller and probably Camby and I'll even throw in one you didn't in Okefor. But alot of those guys looks like you just threw them on the list to get to 18. Kamen, James, Curry, Haywood, Ratliffe???? Come on!!! The rest of the guys I'd consider a toss up, but since Mohammed is on the Spurs i'd give him the nod (not a homer nod), but coaching, conditioning and system nod going into next year.

I guess its a senseless arguement since its based on personal opinion.

Theo Ratliff is a stud - defensively - not sure about this year but averages around 3 blocks every year, Eddy Curry is almost a stud offensively, Kaman plays the Suns really well - so take him off, Jerome James is almost a similar player to Nazr - maybe he's off list, etc.

Nazr isn't a household name yet, similar to Jerome James and Chris Kaman and I'd prefer Dalembert and Dampier over him right now. Nazr could be in the top-10 next year but he just regained the starter position, so I'd give him more time before he's in top-12.

Steven Hunter himself could jump up on list - to at least top-15, if he got more time and improved in areas of weakness. I really like Hunter, as I'm sure you like Mohammed.

Tell you what, let us win series and I'll put Mohammed in my top-8 list. :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Spurs haven't had Mohammed long enough to know how erratic he is. He follows a good month or two with several lame ones. Get back to us in a year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake