53 Man Roster Prediction: Updated 8-10-03

spanky

All Star
Reaction score
Walter,

Frank Garcia.................is he not in your thinking due to the fact that he's been suspended? Even though he is suspended, don't we have to commit a roster spot for him regardless or do you see him getting cut? Starkey is one dimensional.............he plays C or nothing. That an extravagance we can't afford. Versatility is the key in getting down to a 53 man roster. Dishman can play both back-up C and OG. IMHO: As I see it the O-Line looks like: Shelton (Wells); Spikes (Dishman); Kendall (Garcia); Davis (Wragge); Clement (Davis/Wells). Starkey and Grace get the "bum's rush", I'm afraid.

I know........we all have our "pet projects" and on Offense, mine is Marquise Walker (on Defense it's Dennis Johnson). Trying not to be too biased however, I see McAddeley as a "cut".

Woods is on my team as back-up to Fisher at OLB. I would love to keep Burton but don't see the need for him based only on the fact that he might be effectice as a pass rushing LB. We are getting good pass rushing (for once) at the D-Line with Pace Bryant; King; Bell etc. Fisher and Raynoch are both effective as pass rushers from the OLB position. Burton is again an additional luxury that we can't afford.

On Duane Starks: unless he's being disruptive in the locker room (and I mean as a serious cancer), we can't trade him. The CB position is one of two potential "achilles heels" for us. Like it or not, we NEED him for this year at least.

Oh.........the other "achilles heel" is at QB. If we wait until the last minute (when Blake gets hurt, if he does) to bring on a veteran QB, it will be too late..Having Parsons as the 3rd string is stupid. Let him go and bring in a vet like Ray Lucas. We are VERY vulnerable to a 6-10 season without some more "grey hair" at QB. We all know that McCown is #2. Give Parsons a chance elsewhere.

Just my thoughts on your engaging thread.

CoachBigDog

Rookie
Reaction score
I guess I will get into this one

I really think that from a logistical point of view that the Cards will indeed carry 7 WR this year..... I think that the coaching staff realize that we will be challenged in this area this year and I think that one more possession type WR will make the squad. I think that guy will be Marquise Walker. Walker has too much upside to let him walk and he will not play on the practice squad. I think Boldin and Walker will be our possession WR this year. McCaddley, Johnson, Gilmore, Kasper and possibly Foster will make the squad. I think Walker actually could be a big surprise in AZ if not this year down the road. I would like to see him subscribe to the David Boston workout program????

Anyway I like the other picks guys

Great game on Saturday I hope the good work continues with no injuries --- that is the key to this team getting a good start!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walter, I stole your post and put it on the front page. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Please do new versions after each preseason game and send them to me directly for the front page. Send them to Asfn ([email protected])

One change, please. Use player full names. Many casual visitors won't recognize "Johnson."

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
One change, please. Use player full names. Many casual visitors won't recognize "Johnson."

Good call. I'm not a casual fan, but I found myself scratching my head saying, "Davis, Davis. Hmmmmm...........oh Russel Davis!?!?!? For a moment I thought "Of COURSE we'll keep Leonard Davis!!!":D

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My Picks: First and last Names...Updated 8/12/03

QB (3): Jeff Blake, Free Agent, Josh McCown

RB (4): Emmitt Smith, Marcel Shipp, Sweet Baby James Hodgins, Damian Anderson

WR (7): Free Agent, Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson, Bryan Gilmore, James McAddley, Kevin Kasper, Larry Foster

TE (3): Freddie Jones, Steve Bush, Lorenzo Diamond

OL (9): Leonard Davis, Pete Kendall, Cameron Spikes, L.J. Shelton, Anthony Clement, Reggie Wells, Chris Dishman, Jason Starkey, Tony Wragge

DL (8): Kyle Vanden Bosch, Wendell Bryant, Marcus Bell, Barron Tanner, Kenny King, Calvin Pace, Fred Wakefield, Free Agent

LB (7): Ronald McKinnon, Raynoch Thompson, Levar Fisher, Gerald Hayes, James Darling, Tony Gilbert, Michael Young

DB (9): Renaldo Hill, David Barrett, Dexter Jackson, Adrian Wilson, Justin Lucas, Coby Rhinehart, Nijrell Eason, Quentin Harris, Free Agent

SP (3): Bill Gramatica, Scott Player, Nathan Hodel

PUP (1): Raleigh Roundtree

SN (1): Frank Garcia

PS (5): Josh Scobey, Michael Banks, Steven Grace, Dennis Johnson, Marquis Walker (all eligible as 2nd year players...and likely not to be claimed off waivers)

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
i may be wrong but ive followed j blake his whole career and he likes guys with hops who will go up and get the ball. i think kk is a lock.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Re: My Picks: First and last Names...Updated 8/12/03

Originally posted by Walter Mitchell
LB (7): Ronald McKinnon, Raynoch Thompson, Levar Fisher, Gerald Hayes, James Darling, Tony Gilbert, Michael Young

I just don't get this, Walter. Where's Lavar Woods? I'm pretty sure he's our # 5 LB after Mac, Thompson, Fisher and Darling right now, and you don't even have him making the team....

Also, what about Trev Faulk? He's been mentioned in a lot of the camp reports as having a great camp.

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Bach: I like Michael Young better than Levar Woods because while Woods is a faster athlete, Young is a much better tackler and instinctive linebacker. I also like Young's versatility. He can play inside or outside. Woods offers nice speed on special teams, but if you look at him he rarely sticks his nose in there. Young does.

Funny you mentioned Trev Faulk. Mac just confirmed that the Cardinals will be playing the 3-4 more regularly. This means the Cardinals might keep eight linebackers instead of seven...in which case, Faulk has a decent chance of making the team. Faulk is a rugged plugger with pretty decent wheels. He's a good, solid football player.

seesred

Reaction score
I got to say, this has been the best exchange of thoughts through out the thread that I can remember. All of you have done a great job discussing this interesting issue.

I will say that I think that we are in the market place for at least two additions which will cost jobs. Corner and Reciever. Who goes if a new corner and what bubble wide out when we pick up a veteran?

GBR

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
From Last Year:
QB(3), RB(4), WR(6), TE(3), OL(9), DL(9), LB(7), DB(9), SP(3),PS(4)
The current thinking is add 1 to WR, add 1 to LB. Currently that would take 1 from DL and 1 from DB?

I agree with Walter that if McCown struggles again this week, a veteran QB should be picked up.

I think one of Josh Scobey or Damien Anderson goes on the PS with the other making the team and Prentice the odd man out.

I believe they will go into the season with the current crop of WR, unless they are really sold on one of the late cuts from other teams. The six that stay are Larry Foster, Kevin Kasper, Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson, Bryan Gilmore, James McAddley. If they keep a 7th my choice would be Nathan Poole. Possible PS for Reggie Newhouse.

TE- the only battle is between Mike Banks and Lorenzo Diamond.
I expect one to be placed on PS. I am leaning toward keeping Mike Banks and Lorenzo Diamond on the PS.

OL- We need to keep 9 for this area with the injuries and problems so far. The starting 5 are set with
Lonnie Shelton, Cameron Spikes, Pete Kendall, Leonard Davis, and Anthony Clement. Since Frank Garcia is out the first 4 weeks and Raleigh Roundtree out at least that long I would put RR on the PUP list(cant play first 6 weeks).
That leaves Chris Dishman, Reggie Wells, Jason Starkey as backups with one other. When Garcia gets back I see JS being cut and Wells cut if RR comes back.

DL- If we play more 3-4 I see this reducing to 8 with
Kyle Vanden Bosch, Wendell Bryant, Russell Davis, and Calvin Pace starting, Marcus Bell, Kenny King, Fred Wakefield, and Barron Tanner as the backups.

LB- I don't see Tony Gilbert making the opening day roster, I see him as possible PS candidate. I see Greg Jones replacing him.

DB- I don't see them getting rid of Duane Starks.

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I guess my picks were reasonably close...here are the differences as of today:

QB: I wanted and still want the Cardinals to acquire a free agent veteran to back up Blake. The problem now from the Cardinals' point of view is whether to risk losing Preston Parsons. In light of Parsons' excellent performance at Minnesota, the Cardinals will most likely stick with McCown and Parsons even though neither one of them appear to be ready for first-string action.

RB: I had them keeping Emmitt, Marcel, James and Damian. I wanted to use the extra roster spot elsewhere, because I don't think Scobey would be claimed by any team and he is p.squad eligible.

TE: In my update I had the Cardinals keeping all four. If Diamond is signed to the p. squad today...and I expect he will be...mission accomplished.

WR: I wanted and still want the Cardinals to sign a veteran free agent to add to the six they and I retained. The only WR waived that catches my eye is Dedric Ward...a diminutive type...and I was thinking of a bigger, more angular player.

OL: I picked Wragge instead of Rogers. Wragge may be signed to the p. squad today. If so, all is well. And All is Wells, too...Reggie Wells!

DL: Insert Dennis Johnson for KVB and the picks match. However, I was hoping for a free agent edge rusher and am hoping that one is grabbed today. There are a few available...Brommell, Coleman, Ferrara, Reinard Wilson. If so DJ could be signed to the p. squad.

LB: I preferred Gilbert and Young over Woods. Woods and Young stick. If Gilbert is signed to the p.squad today, I will be happy. I like Gilbert and like his chances down the road.

DB: Same picks...asked for a free agent...and got a good one in McDaniel. The Cardinals may add another CB today or next week.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walter your post says you like Mcdaniel. Do you consider him depth or an eventual starter in fron tof Hill?

Im asking cus I really dont know a whole lot about him!

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Shane: I like Renaldo Hill, always have. He remains the starter, but McDaniel is an ideal nickel back. He's quick and instinctive...gets his hands on a lot of balls. If Hill or Barrett need a breather, McDaniel will fill in nicely. And I still think that Coby Rhinehart is under-rated as a cover CB. Coby is less effective as a nickle, which is why MCdaniel's addition is so key.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane: I like Renaldo Hill, always have. He remains the starter, but McDaniel is an ideal nickel back. He's quick and instinctive...gets his hands on a lot of balls. If Hill or Barrett need a breather, McDaniel will fill in nicely. And I still think that Coby Rhinehart is under-rated as a cover CB. Coby is less effective as a nickle, which is why MCdaniel's addition is so key.

Cool. Thanks Walter. Do you think Moldin woul dbe a good addition as well? If so, as nickel as well?

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Walter could you explain that a little, no sarcasm, I am interested.

What would make somebody a better cover CB but less good as a nickle DB ?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree Walter that Hill will be the starter. That means we'll play even more zone than before, and that the pass rush of the preseason had better not be a mirage.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05