$6.1 Million

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Caro of the Republic is reporting that the JJ deal will have two parts with Diaw going as part of the Voskuhl trade exemption so the JJ exemption will be roughly $6.1 million. This is a big deal because the quality of players the Suns could go after is so much better. Obviously the Suns could split the TE and go for two cheaper players.Here's a quick view of some of the guys they could get (NOT who they should target)

Boston - Ricky Davis and Mark Blount
Chicago - Eddie Curry
Dallas - Marquis Daniels (don't hold your breath)
Detroit - Chauncy Billips and Antonio McDyess
Golden State - Derek Fisher
Houston - Juwan Howard
Indiana - Jamal Tinsley and Stephen Jackson
Lakers - Devon George
Memphis - Shane Battier, Brian Cardinal
Miami - Posey
Minnesota - Michael Olowokandi
New Jersy - Jason Collins
New York - Malik Rose
Orlando - Battie, Turkoglu
Sacramento - Kenny Thomas, Brian Skinner, Corliss Williamson
San Antonio - Nazr Mohamed (not a chance)
Toronto - Lamond Murray

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those only the players in the $5-6 million range? Frankly I don't know if I really saw anybody on that list that excites me. I think the Phoenix Suns are going to be looking for young players with smaller contracts who they feel have underperformed on their current team... a JJ type.

The Phoenix Suns made a good move by combining the trade exceptions, but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily targeting players in that $5-6 million range. They can still acquire players who make less than that amount and keep the remainder of the trade exception.

Joe Mama

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I know he's not worth 6.1 million but what about Joel Pryzbilla from Portland, the guy can rebound and really block shots, not a bad guy to back up Amare or Kurt at C.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I actually like the Shane Battier option. He's a good locker room guy and since he backs up Shawn, that puts Padgett in a more PF type of role. He's a huge dropoff from even Brian Grant, but I'd rather have 4 guys and Shawn rotating out of the 4 spot than just KT, Amare, Grant and Shawn.

fordronken

Reaction score
I also would love to get Watson to a six year sign and trade(not for the full 6, but four or five a year would be okay).

I'd really like a long term back up for Nash who can play some lock down defense.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I also would love to get Watson to a six year sign and trade(not for the full 6, but four or five a year would be okay).

I'd really like a long term back up for Nash who can play some lock down defense.

That's who'd I go after rather than Payton. Either him or even Damon Jones (due to the 3 ball)

fordronken

Reaction score
jlove said:
That's who'd I go after rather than Payton. Either him or even Damon Jones (due to the 3 ball)

I'd prefer Watson. Having a player who can push the ball and defend means a lot more as a back up to Nash than someone whose whole career is based on one season of throwing it to Shaq or Wade, then spotting up for open threes.

My3Suns

Rookie
Reaction score
I see them going after Battier. If it was up to me he's our guy.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
fordronken said:
I'd prefer Watson. Having a player who can push the ball and defend means a lot more as a back up to Nash than someone whose whole career is based on one season of throwing it to Shaq or Wade, then spotting up for open threes.

Switch "Shaq or Wade" with "Amare or Nash" and you have JJ's story of last season.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My3Suns said:
I see them going after Battier. If it was up to me he's our guy.

I've always liked Battier, but I doubt the Suns go after a backup SF. They've already got to try to find a way to get playing time for Jimmy Jackson, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Dijon Thompson and possibly Finley (all of those guys can play some SF). Also, Barbosa can get some time at SG.

Our 2 holes right now are backup PG & C. We don't have any height on the roster (Burke is the tallest at 6'11, 250lbs), but height probably won't be an issue against most teams in the league (Houston & Miami might be tough). Barbosa may have improved playing the point over the summer, but I wouldn't count on it. Bell, JimJ & possibly Diaw can fill in a little bit at PG as well but the team obviously won't be running smoothly like when Nash is on the floor.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I actually like the Shane Battier option. He's a good locker room guy and since he backs up Shawn, that puts Padgett in a more PF type of role. He's a huge dropoff from even Brian Grant, but I'd rather have 4 guys and Shawn rotating out of the 4 spot than just KT, Amare, Grant and Shawn.
Not to mention he's one of the better shooter's in the NBA! :)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Honest question, do you guys think we made the exception up to $6.1 million in order to sign Finley? Everyone says we were behing what other teams could offer with our $4.9 million. Is it possible this exception could be used 100% on Finley? :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Honest question, do you guys think we made the exception up to $6.1 million in order to sign Finley? Everyone says we were behing what other teams could offer with our $4.9 million. Is it possible this exception could be used 100% on Finley? :shrug:

Who would we sign-and-trade with? Cuban certainly wouldn't do it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Who would we sign-and-trade with? Cuban certainly wouldn't do it.

Just a thought. Could Finley be signed and traded back to Phoenix by another team with a prior stipulation using the trade exception?

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
Just a thought. Could Finley be signed and traded back to Phoenix by another team with a prior stipulation using the trade exception?
It's possible, but another team wouldn't do that without some compensation (at least a 2nd rd pick thrown in for their troubles).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
It's possible, but another team wouldn't do that without some compensation (at least a 2nd rd pick thrown in for their troubles).

I'd be willing to do it.

fordronken

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:

You can't sign-and-trade with any team other than the player's previous team. Also, Finley at this point can't be sign-and-traded at all this point, since he has been waived and isn't allowed to sign with Dallas for the duration of his previous contract.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
fordronken said:
You can't sign-and-trade with any team other than the player's previous team. Also, Finley at this point can't be sign-and-traded at all this point, since he has been waived and isn't allowed to sign with Dallas for the duration of his previous contract.

So you're saying that whatever team signs Finley as a free agent cannot trade him? Mainstreet was hoping a team other than Dallas would sign Finley and then trade him to PHX for the TE.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
jbeecham said:
So you're saying that whatever team signs Finley as a free agent cannot trade him? Mainstreet was hoping a team other than Dallas would sign Finley and then trade him to PHX for the TE.

Can't happen. If Finley signs with another team, that team can't then trade him to another team. Whatever team he signs with, can't trade him for 3 months.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fordronken said:

Forget Dallas. I would be looking for another trading partner if it were permissible. I'm just trying to give Michael more money (even if part of it goes back to Dallas). Fordronken, It sounds like your sure it can't be done... darn.

However, I wouldn't have minded giving Dallas a couple of million (or whatever) for their efforts to give us Nash and hopefully Finley. :)

I know if Finley signed for the 5 million MLE, about half the money would go back to Dallas.

I just keep trying to find that loophole which apparently doesn't exist.

fordronken

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the league was pretty clear on making sure a third party couldn't sign-and-trade. That would just make things even more complicated than they already are. Plus the team that had the rights to a player could get totally screwed out of any compensation.

fordronken

Reaction score
elindholm said:
I feel like I'm watching "Groundhog Day."

Yeah, I think the league was pretty clear on making sure a third party couldn't sign-and-trade. That would just make things even more complicated than they already are. Plus the team that had the rights to a player could get totally screwed out of any compensation.