6/23/04 Insider

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A more informed contributor such as you can present more incisive and objective explanations as to what to be done, weighing pro's and con's rationally.

Thanks for the compliment (I think), but it's just too hard to tell. Trading the franchise for McGrady could easily become a Hardaway-like disaster. The similarities of an All-NBA multifaceted shooting guard who wears #1 for the Magic and has a questionable attitude are just too eerie. It is unusual for a superstar to have this kind of recurring injury trouble at such a young age.

I'm not sure how great the potential reward is. McGrady would give the Suns a fearless go-to scorer, but most of us are hoping that Stoudemire develops into such a player anyway. McGrady would bring more enthusiasm to the club, and several times a season he'll put up a ridiculous game and basically win single-handedly. But in the final analysis, how much does that get you? The Suns would still be in need of a lot more talent, especially someone who can defend the interior.

I think it depends largely on what the Suns can accomplish at center. If Lampe develops into a star (highly unlikely, in my opinion) or they strike gold in the FA market (not that I have any idea who that would be), then probably they're better off standing pat. But if it's going to be a two-man team, then McGrady is obviously a better component than Marion or Johnson.

I do think, however, that there's a great risk in acquiring McGrady with the knowledge that he might be gone in a year or two. This team needs to have something to show for their rebuilding efforts, which basically started with the Kidd-Marbury trade and haven't yielded much yet. I don't think it's too likely that Stoudemire will bolt, but it's not impossble; the team needs to make sure that it is establishing a well defined positive course for the future. Renting McGrady for two years won't do that at all.

Cog

Reaction score
Your points well taken. Although I do not share the same sentiments, assessments, and outlooks, and etc. regarding TMac and th Suns, I do see your legit concerns. Perhaps, if there is to be any discussion about this matter, I guess we should start with the assessment of TMac as a player. Mine is quite different from yours as you would expect. Oh well.. I am not sure if it is worth debating over TMac's abilities as we share quite different views. I am in Tampa. That does not render more validity to my opinion than to yours. However, my observations may be more consistent with his abilities we can observe day in, day out. I think you are underestimating him in many, many ways. His health is a legit issue. But, the Magic did overplay him without making sure of his health. Instead of stating my opinion point by point, I guess that is all I can say right now. Thanks for your thoughts. BTW, it was a compliment. :)

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
Cog said:
Until I gather clouds and rain the scorched Earth to feed the hungry.. Until I demolish all the mountains to pave a way to the greater enlightenment, I have little time for travashamockery.

You misspelled TRAVSHAMMOCKERY!

:D