A painful year for Valley sports teams.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Tampa '09 was painful. The D'Antoni chokes and Kobe singlehandedly killing us with the help of a Artest prayer in '10 was painful. This year's (and '11 and '05 and '03) UA Basketball team Elite 8 loss was painful. ASU's assorted football meltdowns over the years were painful as well I imagine for Sun Devils.

The Cards and Suns seasons were pleasant surprises even if the postseason didn't materialize. Actually some of the most memorable seasons in each team's recent history.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every starter and regular rotation member of the Suns squad played above their career averages in almost every category. To claim they didn't overachieve is ridicules. Looking at roster prior to the Season it was realistic to believe they wouldn't have had nearly the successful season that they have. How on earth can one see that as an insult to the team? It's a compliment to recognize that they ALL played above anything they have done so far in their careers.

Last year Dragic struggled at times as it was his first season as a full time starter. He needed, as most do, to learn how to play the number of minutes he did. Nobody can go full steam for 30+ min. a night. This year Bledsoe and Plumlee went through much of the same. I believe both should be more consistant and better next year as we saw this year from Dragic. Will they show as much improvement, not likely, but maybe.

Anyway you look at it, this team is on the rise and some of the pieces are in place. We have a good management team and coaching, it's fun to be a Suns fan again.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every starter and regular rotation member of the Suns squad played above their career averages in almost every category. To claim they didn't overachieve is ridicules.

I am not sure about that.

To me, overachieving is playing above your normal ability and insinuates that it is unsustainable. I do not think that is the case with this team. They certainly achieved beyond expectations, but that was because they were put in a situation where they could achieve and they rose to the challenge. My expectations for next year are quite high.

Semantics, yes.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

To me, overachieving is playing above your normal ability and insinuates that it is unsustainable. I do not think that is the case with this team. They certainly achieved beyond expectations, but that was because they were put in a situation where they could achieve and they rose to the challenge. My expectations for next year are quite high.

Semantics, yes.

Except that if you look up the word "overachieve" you'll find that performing above expectations is almost always the first definition offered. Those of us that have used the word positively have clearly meant it this way. And I don't think it was just a case of being put in a situation where they could achieve. Green has been put in this position many times before but he's self-destructed in the past. Markieff has improved each year and I think this was just part of his natural growth. Anyway, I don't think we saw anything this year that isn't sustainable going forward.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Semantics, yes.

I hear ya, but until they actually prove they can sustain it, wouldn't it be accurate to say that at least for the time being, they overachieved? I agree, my expectations have certainly risen, but I also want to be realistic. To me this season it's fair to say they overachieved and if they continue at this rate or improve, than the word is no longer an accurate description. But yes, it's just semantics. I think we all agree this was a fun season to be a Suns fan and the future appears bright.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, but until they actually prove they can sustain it, wouldn't it be accurate to say that at least for the time being, they overachieved?

agreed.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
over·achiev·er noun \ˌō-vər-ə-ˈchē-vər\ : someone who has much more success than is normal or expected especially at a young age

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overachiever

Overachieve: To perform better or achieve more success than expected
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/overachiever

The Suns performed much better than pretty much anyone expected. They overachieved. Next year expectations will be much higher and it will be much more difficult to overachieve, but if management continues to make wise moves, players continue to develop and we stay healthy than the Suns can continue to progress and achieve.

I am disappointed that the Suns didn't make the playoffs, but it was great that they were in the hunt right up until the end. It is a lot more fun for me spending the season watching the playoff standings rather than the lottery ball standings.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Suns' season was in no way painful. In fact, it was a joy and a surprise. Can't wait for next year.

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think semantics got in the way of the moral of my post.

I was not trying to say this was a terrible year for the valley sports teams or the Suns, it was in many ways it was a really fun year. But to have had so much success across the spectrum and then by cruel geography get left out of the various playoffs is a bummer.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hear ya, but until they actually prove they can sustain it, wouldn't it be accurate to say that at least for the time being, they overachieved? I agree, my expectations have certainly risen, but I also want to be realistic. To me this season it's fair to say they overachieved and if they continue at this rate or improve, than the word is no longer an accurate description. But yes, it's just semantics. I think we all agree this was a fun season to be a Suns fan and the future appears bright.

Its not so much what word is used, its what you mean by the word used. They certainly achieved beyond expectations.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Both the Cardinals and Suns were much better than expected. Both teams are on the verge of greatness. Both made management changes and coaching changes that have produced very positive results. Both have made player personnel choices that have been very good and show real promise.

If you are a pessimist, all you can see is how close we were. If you are a realist, you can see how both ships have turned, and its a good thing.

^this.

Don't agree with OP at all. This was a fun season for Suns fans given the circumstances...far from "painful".

I'd feel the same way about the Cardinals if I was a Cards fan. Looks like they found a competent HC and QB and their defense and RB is also very good.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not so much what word is used, its what you mean by the word used. They certainly achieved beyond expectations.

:) I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here as I disagree with this comment too. I believe the words used are more important than what is meant by the user. How else are we to communicate if we don't have agreement on each words definition. I do understand your point and it's valid, but the foundation of our communicating is language, and how can we truly understand intent if we can't agree on what each word means.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
:) I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree here as I disagree with this comment too. I believe the words used are more important than what is meant by the user. How else are we to communicate if we don't have agreement on each words definition. I do understand your point and it's valid, but the foundation of our communicating is language, and how can we truly understand intent if we can't agree on what each word means.

I disagree and by disagree I mean wholeheartedly concur.;)