About that 'famous' Jake pass

dbcard74

Reaction score
At least a couple of dozen times since I've been reading posts on this board someone has mentioned some behind-the-back pass Jake Plummer made. But I didn't see the game and can't exactly picture what happened.

Can anyone fill me in on this famous pass that still has people talking a year later? Was it that bad? What was the situation and what was the end result?

mdamien13

Go Cardinals! Yay!!!
Reaction score
Raiders game of this past year. It was meant to go to Marcel Shipp - there was a screwup in the backfield and Marcel wasn't where Jake thought he'd be. Rather than throw it out of bounds or scramble or take the sack, Jake tried to flip it to him behind the back. We were in our own territory and Oakland ran it back for a TD if I remember right (I've tried to forget)

OP
OP
D

dbcard74

Reaction score
Thank you. Posters on this board keep making references to it every couple of days or so, so I knew it had to be a beauty.

Sack Daddy

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by dbcard74
Thank you. Posters on this board keep making references to it every couple of days or so, so I knew it had to be a beauty.
The Mighty Quan said we shall never speak of this again. Who do you think drove Plummer to Denver?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We were inside our own 15 yard line and it wasn't taken back for a touchdown - but it was stil one of the worst plays I have ver seen -watching it with a raiders fan made it even worse.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LOL..... yes indeed...the pass of infamy!!!

You know, it will probably be talked about for years as part of Cardinal lore.

You have to give Jake credit for one thing....he never gave up, ever. For myself I'll always have fond memories of some of the excitement Jake brought to the game, even if some of it was a little mis-guided at times.

Will I remember much about "lead foot" Dave Brown. Or another Mr. Mobility, Kent Graham? I doubt it. With Jake you got some of the bitter with the sweet. At least it was never boring.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What adds insult to injury was the refs blew the call.

Later in the week the NFL appologised to the Cards saying it was actaully an incomplete forward pass and we should have retained the ball.

So is was behind his back and just a little bit more.

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
What adds insult to injury was the refs blew the call.

You are correct. It should have been ruled incomplete. However, it doesn't matter because we played like crap anyway. :eek:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We should nickname that pass so everyone can just say that one word or phrase and know exactly what you are talking about. The Immaculate Reception....bam you are talking about Franco Harris' catch

I would offer up a suggestion but I can't think of any...:confused:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
p.s. Arthur is standing by to open a poll on cue :D

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
We should nickname that pass so everyone can just say that one word or phrase and know exactly what you are talking about. The Immaculate Reception....bam you are talking about Franco Harris' catch

How about the "Meadowlark Plummer" play?
Why not the "Unimmaculate WTF were you thinking!" play?

Lets just hope it's the last time we see another one of those.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
You are correct. It should have been ruled incomplete. However, it doesn't matter because we played like crap anyway. :eek:

True

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mdamien13
Raiders game of this past year. It was meant to go to Marcel Shipp - there was a screwup in the backfield and Marcel wasn't where Jake thought he'd be. Rather than throw it out of bounds or scramble or take the sack, Jake tried to flip it to him behind the back. We were in our own territory and Oakland ran it back for a TD if I remember right (I've tried to forget)

They didn't run it back for a TD they recovered it as a fumble. To be fair to Jake it was actually determined later by the NFL that it should have been ruled incomplete, not a fumble, but he clearly didn't know that when he blindly flipped it, he just panicked and made a stupid play.

They ultimately got the ball and scored a TD. That and his picture perfect pass to their LB in the same half pretty much set the tone for that game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb

Typical Jake ?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i like the harlem globetrotters theme. why don't we name it "the old Sweet Georgia Brown?"

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I blew a gasket when I saw that play. But, I'll tell you what, if he had completed it he would be on every highlight reel until the end of time and might even still be in AZ.

That "pass" was the beginning of the end for him with the Cards.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jake on "the play."

"I was going down and I had the wrong brain cell reacting and tried to do something stupid," Plummer said. "I can't tell you why I did it."

ds512az

All Star
Reaction score
I wonder what Shanahan is going to do when jake has another "wrong brain cell reaction" ?

OP
OP
D

dbcard74

Reaction score
Interesting tidbit: I asked about the play yesterday because I hadn't seen it. Then posters told me the story and when I was watching the Cardinals' yearbook on ESPN today at noon, there it was.

Now I know why it is famous. Not only did Jake flip it behind his back, he flipped it behind his back without even looking. I've never seen anything like that.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by dbcard74
Interesting tidbit: I asked about the play yesterday because I hadn't seen it. Then posters told me the story and when I was watching the Cardinals' yearbook on ESPN today at noon, there it was.

Now I know why it is famous. Not only did Jake flip it behind his back, he flipped it behind his back without even looking. I've never seen anything like that.

The "no look behind the back pass" does not translate too well into football. I knew at that exact moment that Jake would not be a Cardinal after the season