Adrian Wilson is a liability in coverage

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Rolle,Dansby,Boldin, and the age of several of our key players shows how small the window is these days in the NFL.

On the bright side it looks like Whisenhunt is on his way to installing a system that can keep the Cards on top for several years regardless of personnel like Pitt, NE and Indy.

Love the way guys like Campbell and Branch have stepped in.

speaking of Branch, it seems he isn't get much PT lately. Anyone else notice?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
speaking of Branch, it seems he isn't get much PT lately. Anyone else notice?

He was in today just not showing up on the stat sheet. But I'd guess that's a result of the Bears primarily passing today. Most of the leading tacklers were secondary guys. Except for Dansby of course who is always one or two in tackles.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
He should never be one on one with good pass catching tight ends. The 1st TD to Greg Olsen was atrocious awareness by AW. The 2nd TD wasn't much better. The PI call was blatent on the 3rd down play.

Bill Davis needs to find a way to cover up this glaring weakness, or AW should be off the field in obvious passing downs. Other teams see this on tape and will continue to exploit.

A-Dub is too busy being a general and not concentrating on his own game.

Wilson has had a relatively off year, so far. Yesterday he looked really bad.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Typical. People want to replace a pro-bowl safety with a rookie who can't even get on the field using the old "he's going to be a player" theory. Why don't we wait and actually see him do something before making him the enxt Ronnie Lott. I thought Johsnon has looked pretty bad when he's been on the field. AW wan't re-signed because of his coverage skills in the first place.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Typical. People want to replace a pro-bowl safety with a rookie who can't even get on the field using the old "he's going to be a player" theory. Why don't we wait and actually see him do something before making him the enxt Ronnie Lott. I thought Johsnon has looked pretty bad when he's been on the field. AW wan't re-signed because of his coverage skills in the first place.

Good thing Ronnie Lott wasn't drafted by the Cards. Instead of starting 16 games and notching 7 INTs as a rookie he'd have been inactive all season. :D

But like you said everyone has known for years that Wilson is a liability in coverage but more than makes up for it with the other things he brings to the field.

OP
OP
T

Tim

Reaction score
bump

Two plays in a row. Not just the Carlson touchdown, but the Housh deep pass was terrible as well. I know he does great things near the line of scrimmage, but he's absoultely killing us. I feel like isn't held accountable.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is a misnomer it implies Wilson actually ever is in coverage.

Man that pass to TJ Housh he got completely lucky, totally turned around if the pass is there easy TD.

Wilson is basically a LB at this point in his career.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
This thread is a misnomer it implies Wilson actually ever is in coverage.

Man that pass to TJ Housh he got completely lucky, totally turned around if the pass is there easy TD.

Wilson is basically a LB at this point in his career.

AW isn't & hasn't played anywhere near his pay this season outside of the Giants game

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
That's second game in a row that Wilson got abused for a TD.

3 TD plays now in two games

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Although he isn't great in coverage, an interesting stat it he is approaching 20 sacks and 20 interceptions (over his career) which is pretty rare for a player to achieve. I thought the int he got today was the one that put him over, but they didn't say anything about it in the stadium so perhaps not.

I have heard AW on the radio talking about this and I get the impression this is a goal that means a lot to him.

Last edited:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although he isn't great in coverage, an interesting stat it he is approaching 20 sacks and 20 interceptions (over his career) which is pretty rare for a player to achieve. I thought the int he got today was the one that put him over, but they didn't say anything about it in the stadium so perhaps not.

I have heard AW on the radio talking about this and I get the impression this is a goal that means a lot to him.

I wondered about that, too. According to Urban:

Darren Urban said:
– Wilson is now one sack shy of becoming a member of the 20-20 club, after getting his 20th career interception Sunday.

...dave

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Per Somers...

-- The touchdown pass to Seattle tight end John Carlson was the result of a blown coverage. Looking live, it appeared strong safety Adrian Wilson blew it. But cornerback Bryant McFadden has responsibility deep and Wilson had the flat. McFadden didn't cover the play correctly.

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/67601

Go Cards!!!

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Would someone who DVR'ed the game go to the 3rd quarter, to the SEA play where that had it first and goal from the Cardinals 1 yard line.

And would you please be kind enough to describe SEA's first down play for everyone?

Reaction score
Would someone who DVR'ed the game go to the 3rd quarter, to the SEA play where that had it first and goal from the Cardinals 1 yard line.

And would you please be kind enough to describe SEA's first down play for everyone?
What you are looking for occurred early in the 4th quarter:
1-1-ARI 1 (13:59) 8-M.Hasselbeck pass incomplete short right to 84-T.Houshmandzadeh (24-A.Wilson).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good thing Ronnie Lott wasn't drafted by the Cards. Instead of starting 16 games and notching 7 INTs as a rookie he'd have been inactive all season. :D

But like you said everyone has known for years that Wilson is a liability in coverage but more than makes up for it with the other things he brings to the field.
Yes. Look back to last year when Wilson was out to see how much worse it could be.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
He should never be one on one with good pass catching tight ends. The 1st TD to Greg Olsen was atrocious awareness by AW. The 2nd TD wasn't much better. The PI call was blatent on the 3rd down play.

Bill Davis needs to find a way to cover up this glaring weakness, or AW should be off the field in obvious passing downs. Other teams see this on tape and will continue to exploit.

Going to stick with this?