Ahmed Brooks...

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
thoughts on this guy? I have never seen him play but recall tons of glowing coverage on him last year (or the year before?) before he suffered an injury. Guy seems like an absolute bull at, what, 6'4" 260 lbs? If this guy is a player, seems like he should be near the top of our shopping list. I'm assuming he is a force at stepping up and stopping the run.

Thoughts, info,

Russ, joe, anyone?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SCouts are reportedly advising him to stay in school because his season this year hurt his stock so much. Kiper said the other day he's been told by many scouts that Brooks would be making a huge mistake to come out he got too fat this year, didn't rehab hard enough and really scared off people.

I haven't seen him play this year.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
red desert said:
thoughts on this guy? I have never seen him play but recall tons of glowing coverage on him last year (or the year before?) before he suffered an injury. Guy seems like an absolute bull at, what, 6'4" 260 lbs? If this guy is a player, seems like he should be near the top of our shopping list. I'm assuming he is a force at stepping up and stopping the run.

Thoughts, info,

Russ, joe, anyone?

If he would stay healthy I would love to have him. When he is healthy he is the most dominant MLB in college. Before all the injuries he was a sure top ten pick. Now he could go anywhere depending on the combine and what the doctors say. I don't see him falling past the second round though. My best guess as of right now is he goes somewhere between 15-25 in the first round.

spanky1

Reaction score
Snakester said:
If he would stay healthy I would love to have him. When he is healthy he is the most dominant MLB in college. Before all the injuries he was a sure top ten pick. Now he could go anywhere depending on the combine and what the doctors say. I don't see him falling past the second round though. My best guess as of right now is he goes somewhere between 15-25 in the first round.

Nah.....I think Russ is right. He will go back to school if he's smart. This was such a bad year for him. He'd get back into the top three next year if he can rebound from all his injuries.

I know the draft is a crap shoot in many ways, but a team can minimize the chance of bust 1st rounders by staying away from players with the dreaded "X" beside their name.......McGahee might prove the exception, but I see he's now hurt.

The same for LeVar Arrington in FA......he has LeVar Fisher syndrome......busted out kneees with no cartledge.......not good for long term prognosis.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Nah.....I think Russ is right. He will go back to school if he's smart. This was such a bad year for him. He'd get back into the top three next year if he can rebound from all his injuries.

I know the draft is a crap shoot in many ways, but a team can minimize the chance of bust 1st rounders by staying away from players with the dreaded "X" beside their name.......McGahee might prove the exception, but I see he's now hurt.

The same for LeVar Arrington in FA......he has LeVar Fisher syndrome......busted out kneees with no cartledge.......not good for long term prognosis.

It would make sense for him to stay in school, but ya never know. If he is told that he would still be taken in the top half of the first round that might be enough for him to come out.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From Mike to situational End. That's versatility.
Was he taken by the Niners in the suplimental or was he picked up and cut by another team?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
From Mike to situational End. That's versatility.
Was he taken by the Niners in the suplimental or was he picked up and cut by another team?
He was cut by the Bengals who drafted him. I think they may have gotten him in the supp. draft.,not 100% sure though. Also going from memory, i think he had some off field issues with the Bengals. His talent has never really been a question but it's the off field stuff.

Le Tigre

Reaction score
He was cut by the Bengals who drafted him. I think they may have gotten him in the supp. draft.,not 100% sure though. Also going from memory, i think he had some off field issues with the Bengals. His talent has never really been a question but it's the off field stuff.

Supplemental draft '06. We used a 3rd rounder on him. He never had the off-field stuff. He was always hurt. When he wasn't, he just never had the brain power to pick up the MLB position...at least then. I was all for keeping him around--if for nothing else than his incredible football skills...definitely a freak.

He had an idiot for a defensive coordinator then. Would have loved to see what he could have done in a Mike Zimmer defense.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Supplemental draft '06. We used a 3rd rounder on him. He never had the off-field stuff. He was always hurt. When he wasn't, he just never had the brain power to pick up the MLB position...at least then. I was all for keeping him around--if for nothing else than his incredible football skills...definitely a freak.

He had an idiot for a defensive coordinator then. Would have loved to see what he could have done in a Mike Zimmer defense.

i looked it up and he did have an off field issue.Of course this is the Bengals we're talking about so it may not be an issue :D.

fro wikipedia:

Brooks has been accused of punching a woman in the face. The woman said that Brooks and her neighbor were about to fight on April 9, 2008, and she “nicely approached” them and asked them to stop and "take it somewhere else." She says that's when Brooks "pulled back his fist and struck me in the left eye." She then fell and blacked out. When she gained consciousness, she grabbed her children, ran inside her home, called 911 and was taken to an area emergency room. Brooks has been summoned to appear in court on June 6 to answer the fourth-degree assault charges put upon him.[3] Brooks accepted mediation on the charges. He was charged with misdemeanor assault, and the case is expected to be reviewed again in September.

Le Tigre

Reaction score
Oh yeah...that one. ;)

By then, he was an afterthought for the Bengals. He had not done squat for two seasons, always hurt, and really had trouble getting into the mental aspects of the middle LB position. He was basically training camp practice fodder when they released him (and hurt there too).

Sorry for the Cards that he decided to suddenly look like Butkus the other night. From what I've seen of him over the years, this was the exception rather than the rule.

Cripes, even Justin Smith looked OK. Must be something in the Bay water.

gohard83

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah...that one. ;)

By then, he was an afterthought for the Bengals. He had not done squat for two seasons, always hurt, and really had trouble getting into the mental aspects of the middle LB position. He was basically training camp practice fodder when they released him (and hurt there too).

Sorry for the Cards that he decided to suddenly look like Butkus the other night. From what I've seen of him over the years, this was the exception rather than the rule.

Cripes, even Justin Smith looked OK. Must be something in the Bay water.

Amazing how different schemes can do. Justin Smith has been an absolute force since he joined the 49ers. The guy just has an incredible motor. Brooks is only a situational pass rusher. Him and Lawson switch around during downs. Ahmad Brooks has been a pleasant surprise though, even when he not forcing fumbles or getting sacks, he's chasing down the QB.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Love the inside knowledge. Lurk often or just curious about the former Bengals?

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The guy played high school football (CD Hylton in VA) down the road from where I live and was at one time rated the #1 overall defensive player heading into college. He got into some trouble after getting injured his sophomore year which I heard through the grapevine to be drug-related (perpetual pot-smoker).

Problems aside, he is a pretty solid DE/LB and could probably flourish in the 3-4 system coming off the edge.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05