Al McCoy losing it...?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
He consistently called Stackhouse 'Stoudamire' in game 4. Yesterday, he called Steve Javie 'Steve Nash'. There was another thing yesterday that I don't remember. I like McCoy and he is really good, so was kind of surprised him making so many mistakes.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The Suns had better hurry up and win him a title, then...

Which reminds me, I have to look into getting the KTAR feed out here in Los Angeles. Thanks again to everyone who gave me suggestions before.

fordronken

Reaction score
az1965 said:
He consistently called Stackhouse 'Stoudamire' in game 4. Yesterday, he called Steve Javie 'Steve Nash'. There was another thing yesterday that I don't remember. I like McCoy and he is really good, so was kind of surprised him making so many mistakes.

That's too bad. Chick Hearn started doing that too, his last couple of seasons. There were a few times he started calling Kobe "Magic".

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
that is probably why he is on the radio and not tv.. he has been great for so long, but you can tell it is starting to catch up with him.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
elindholm said:
The Suns had better hurry up and win him a title, then...

Which reminds me, I have to look into getting the KTAR feed out here in Los Angeles. Thanks again to everyone who gave me suggestions before.

Sirius Satellite Radio has been broadcasted 620's radio broadcast since the start of the playoffs. Thats an option for you.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Al has been going down hill for at least the last two years. I've been talking about it with my wife. We noticed it a few years ago.

I love Al's game calls but I don't like seeing him go downhill this way. Don't let recent memories cloud the best ones...

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree on this one, he's been bad with the names the last few years, I heard him call JJ KJ like three times in a game, I'm thinking, must be having flashback. And he calls everyone Stoudamire, it could be Marion, Q, Stackhouse, Rasheed Wallace, doesn't matter.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
The Suns better win a championship this year then!

I still love listening to Al McCoy's calls!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yup, we're going to have to warm up the rocking chairs for Al McCoy and Greg Schulte. ;)

RichDawg

Reaction score
I agree Al has been in a decline the past few years. His mistakes tend to confuse the listener, especially during a crucial part of the game. However, his "Shazam"s and "Wham Bam Slam"s are still enough to keep me entertained.

On a related note, Vinnie del Negro's color work could stand some improvement. He is constantly interrupting McCoy with a shout of "Niiice", or "Oooohhh!", before Al finishes calling the play. This spoils the outcome of the play for the radio audience, as well as stepping on McCoy's toes. Anyone else notice this?

Anyway, I can live with these flaws if they're still calling the games come June. :thumbup:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's often on local radio doing sports/news updates and butchering many names. Been on a general decline for the last few years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05