Alex Smith?

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
Hell yes I want him! He has a 70% completiton percentage this year and a great TD to Int. ratio. And, he's pretty durable. Much better than anything we have on the roster.

HeavyB3

Unregistered User
Reaction score
Yes, but only if we use our top two picks on a tackle and a running back and can get some other O-Line help via free agency. Whiz might be able to run his power run scheme he'd always wanted to use then.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Alex Smith gets cut and Whiz gets fired, I'd bring him in. If Whiz is still here it will be a disaster. Smith isn't the Warner type of QB that works in Whiz's system. Whiz needs a guy who reads defenses extremely well, plays great under pressure, and makes pre-snap adjustments well (like moving someone to help block when the edge rusher is lined up too wide for the T to handle it instead of doing nothing and letting the tackle get blamed by everyone when a sack happens.)

This post says it all.

Maybe we should bring in Smith as an offensive coordinator!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He deserves consideration. I actually came away impressed with Lindley, but we need to bring in a vet QB AND draft a QB no later than the 2nd round. the QB position is so critical in the NFL that we can't take chances. Keep drafting QB's until you find the answer. Keep Kolb & Lindley, bring in a veteran & draft a QB. Get rid of Skelton. I liked some of what I saw with Lindley, but we need multiple options at this position.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
He deserves consideration. I actually came away impressed with Lindley, but we need to bring in a vet QB AND draft a QB no later than the 2nd round. the QB position is so critical in the NFL that we can't take chances. Keep drafting QB's until you find the answer. Keep Kolb & Lindley, bring in a veteran & draft a QB. Get rid of Skelton. I liked some of what I saw with Lindley, but we need multiple options at this position.

Your QB standards are very low if you came away impressed with Lindley.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern would be among many things sacks. Smith got sacked 44 times last season, 25 this year in 9 starts. his own coach has been saying for 2 seasons he takes too many sacks. That they would prefer he take sacks to throwing INT's of course, but they would really rather he throw the ball away or run more.

That's one big reason they like Kaepernick, even as a young QB he's currently getting sacked about once every 16 attempts. Smith is about once every 8.6. Kaepernick may go up as people get more film on him, he still tries to outrun sacks like most young QB's do, but one of the main reasons they want to play him more is he takes less sacks than Smith does.

Put Smith on our team with our OL and he'd be getting sacked as much as Kolb was, if not more.

Kaepernick they also think will eventually make many more big plays because he has a stronger arm. Smith has 22 completions over 20 yards this year, in about a third of the attempts, Kaepernick has 12. Add in the much better running and you can see why harbaugh is intrigued.

Alex is more accurate than Skelton and has better touch than Kolb. He'll get sacked alot, he won't make a ton of big plays downfield (Kolb actually has a better rate of 20+ passes than Smith too though not as good as Kaepernick).

He's more durable than Kolb, he's more accurate than Kolb, I have no idea if he could play for Whiz but I doubt it.

But of course it's entirely possible Whiz won't be the coach next season.

Hopper15

Rookie
Reaction score
Agreed, Alex Smith does take way too many sacks. Not because his Oline isn't giving him enough time, but just to avoid Int's.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, Alex Smith does take way too many sacks. Not because his Oline isn't giving him enough time, but just to avoid Int's.

That and his 20+ numbers are directly related. The thing Alex does repeatedly is NOT take a shot downfield because it's not WIDE open. That's one of the things Eric Davis pointed out weeks ago when he said Smith could lose his job before the season was over. he said if you watch tape, and if you talk to guys on the team, there are big plays to be made downfield that Smith is just not trying to make. he'll pull the ball down and hold it and end up taking a sack instead of letting it go.

Yes he avoids INT's, but the opinion is he's hurting the team by not taking shots downfield. I suspect he doesn't trust the receivers because he will take shots to Vernon Davis, seems like for anybody else he won't.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a team plays indoors for the majority of its games, what sense does it make to keep bringing in game manager types?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
PFT has a story on their web site which says Smith is due to make $8.5 million next season. Basically it all becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster on April 1 and he's due a $1 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year.

If he's released, should the Cardinals pursue him?

Yes Yes Yes. He will not start again this week and is likely to be very p---ed with his HC. It looks like he has lost his job even with a 6-2 record. He will want out of there asap if he continues on the bench. I would think he would like to stay in the same division and be able to sock it to the Niners twice a year. He currently is the #5 rated QB in the NFL. This deal is really strange with a young guy replacing a QB who almost took SF to the Superbowl last year and had them off to a great start this year. SF is not going to keep two starting QBs on the team next year. Smith would be a great distraction if he were not the starter. You can bet there will be several teams after him if he becomes available. SF could probably get a 1st rounder + for him and become even stronger. How did SF come up with this young QB I never heard of while we have the likes of Skelton and an overpaid Kolb who cannot stay healthy? Are we just plain dumb or unlucky?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No. I just don't like Smith.

You have to like the 5th rated QB in the NFL more than you like what we have now????????
Do not let you personal hate override your judgement on who is a better QB. Smith v Skelton and Kolb? Come on man. Is there any doubt who is better? I would trade all our QBs and a high draft choice for Smith tomorrow.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Especially under Whis. Smith has shown he needs a little coddling and a coach who stands behind him. Whis is not that guy.

But if Whis is chased out of town, Smith may be a better option than what is currently on our roster. But not certain of that.

Smith is the 5th rated QB in the NFL. I think he has a rating of around 120. He has a record this year of 6-2 and came close last year to going to the SuperBowl. Sounds like a winner to me. With him around it would make sense to keep Fitz. With our losers we would be better to trade Fitz. He will clearly be the best QB available next year and there are 4-5 teams looking for a QB. He will have no trouble finding a job as a starter. If we do not make a run at him we are not very smart. I guess that means we will not make a run at him. With a proven QB you can change the entire dynamic of the team.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how the 49ers have not missed Alex Smith? They didn't miss a beat with him out. Kapernick came in and they improved.

But ya, bring him in to see how he does and expect him to not perform just like the other 49er reject, Adam Snyder.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
70% completion percentage, 104 QB rating, 13 TD's & 5 INT's is marginal at best? Totally disagree. Not saying he wouldn't regress here in AZ. But calling him marginal at best is an insult.

Marginal??? Hardly. He is statistically the 5th best QB in the NFL and is 6-2 this year and I think won over 10 last year. We should be so lucky as to have a marginal QB like this.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Especially under Whis. Smith has shown he needs a little coddling and a coach who stands behind him. Whis is not that guy.

But if Whis is chased out of town, Smith may be a better option than what is currently on our roster. But not certain of that.

Smith is the 5th rated QB in the NFL. I think he has a rating of around 120. He has a record this year of 6-2 and came close last year to going to the Super Bowl. Sounds like a winner to me. With him around it would make sense to keep Fitz. With our losers we would be better to trade Fitz. He will clearly be the best QB available next year and there are 4-5 teams looking for a QB. He will have no trouble finding a job as a starter. If we do not make a run at him we are not very smart. I guess that means we will not make a run at him. With a proven QB you can change the entire dynamic of the team. One thing for the good is he will take one of the QB draft guys available more or less off the board when we draft as some team in need of a QB is going to get him and not draft a QB.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I said extreme fantasies of the later rounds, but I hear ya' LOL. Good luck to all who want to find another Tom Brady because the chances are low. You can also get lucky with the likes of Warners and Romos but it is slim. The percentage rate for QBs being a bust are high no matter where drafted but the best ones are still usually taken early because the scouts (well, at least other team's scouts looking at the QB position) do have some kind of idea of whether or not a guy will fail :)

A lot of guys on this board thought Tanneyhill would be a bust but the scouts in the NFL knew better in his case. He surprised me but I am no scout. Romo has never really been able to get over the hump. He can look all world then look like Skelton. I wonder how much longer Jerry Jones is going to hang with him as he is a very impatient man. I would not be surprised to see Jones go after Smith. He is as much about winning as he is about profits. Maybe more so but he does manage to increase his net worth win or lose every year. I think he still has the most valuable franchise in professional sports. To bad he want hire a GM and relieve himself of that job. I suspect his son will take over that job some day.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know where Alex ranks among NFL Qb's?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colin Kaepernick on Alex Smith:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/colin-kaepernick-admits-he-learned-nothing-from-wa,30548/

SAN FRANCISCO—Coming off his second straight win as 49ers quarterback, Colin Kaepernick admitted to reporters Thursday that watching Alex Smith over the past two years has not helped his game in the slightest. “I wish I could say Alex has been an inspiration to me and all that, but I’ve watched the guy play 27 games now, and honest to God, I didn’t get a single thing out of it,” said Kaepernick, who added that seeing the 8-year veteran in practice and in games has taught him nothing about staying cool in the pocket, reading defenses, improvising when protection breaks down, or leadership either on or off the field. “I guess the only thing I did learn was how to completely fall apart during a conference championship game. That and how to rely on a great running back and phenomenal defense to win games for you. Otherwise, it was pretty much useless.” Kaepernick confirmed that his greatest learning experience since entering the league came while watching Eli Manning play against the 49ers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky