All-time best Suns team youve watched?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
Oliver Miller had talent, but Alvin Adams had much more talent than the fat man - even if he were skinny.

Too bad we didn't have Maurice Lucas a little earlier in his career and for a few more years. BTW, all-goofy team - you have to put on Jeff Cook and Rich Kelley.

In the Center position, we could throw in Rick Robey. He had talent, but was injured too much and never really panned out...hmm, I wonder what ever happened to the guy we gave up in a trade to get Robey... oh yeah, he went on to win 2 championships with the Celtics...

I agree that the best team was probably 1994-1995, before the D. Manning injury. I think the 1983-1984 team was underrated.

In the Point Guard debate, I throw my support behind KJ as of today. However, by the end of next year when Amare and Steve receive co-Finals MVP, I will switch my vote.

The shooting guard debate is Horny first, everyone else distant second. I absolutely loved him - remember when he tried to dunk the ball in a game and was rejected by the rim. I remember Tom Chambers grabbing him while laughing hysterically. After we traded him for Barkley, he landed on his feet just fine and helped Utah to consecutive NBA Finals. Not bad for a College Walk-on.

While we are reminicing - does anyone find it odd that the coach we had for a long time during the Glory 70s and early 80s - John McCleod - is now just an assitant with the Golden State Warriors? He was great for a long time, and was only fired due to the Drug scandal problem. I know he went on to coach at Notre Dame, but I don't believe he was a head coach again in the NBA, am I wrong?

One final note - the Suns Theme in the early 80s was cool. They used to play it on KTAR before games and such... it had the trumpets... anyone remember that? And do you know how I might be able to obtain a copy?

i think mccleod had a stint with the mavs and i want to say with the knicks (really briefly) under bianci, but i might be wrong about the knicks.

and yeah, the suns theme song was awesome. if you find out where to get a copy i'm on that too!

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
devilalum said:
How about the All "High Times" Team.

James Edwards
William Beford
Don Buse
Walter Davis

Very few people know how close these clowns actually came to killing this franchise. The Suns decided to forgive Davis but the drug scandal was really ugly.
How does Richard Dumas not round out this squad? I understand they are the 1980's guys in the drug scandal but Dumas deserves some consideration.

nowagimp

Reaction score
se7en said:
I know this thread is purely for fun and it's just opinion, but I can't believe everyone other than Eric is placing Nash ahead of KJ. KJ was a much better player than Nash is.

Saying that any point guard in NBA history was a "much better player than either nash or KJ" is silly. No point guard who ever played was a "much better player" than either of these guys. If you want to say that KJ was a better point, break it down with some objectivity:

better passer: nash by a comfortable margin
better defender: KJ by a comfortable margin
better shooter: Nash, especially from distance
quicker off the dribble/one-on-one: KJ by a wide margin
better court vision: Nash by a comfortable margin
better athlete: KJ by a comfortable margin
better durability: Nash by a wide margin, KJ was injury prone

I consider Nash better overall because he is more effective at making others around him better than KJ was. This(making others better) is the defining characteristic of great point guards. This is not a knock on KJ as Nash is better at making others better than ANY point ever, except Magic.

OP
OP
MastersofCombat

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
I agree KJ was very close to Nash except in one aspect. Nash shows up to every game and every situation. The bigger the game, the bigger Nash plays.
KJ only played his best when the pick and roll was working perfect with Tom Chambers.
By the time Chuckster had gotten here KJ lil game was starting to slip from all the injuries. KJ is what we needed in that time period but we would not be in first place if he were on the Suns now. We might have beaten CHicago if Steve Nash was on there the way he has played the last 2 seasons.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
If you want to say that KJ was a better point, break it down with some objectivity:
That's about as objective as position by position comparisons that people always make.

better passer: nash by a comfortable margin
Prior to last season Nash was not being compared to Magic Johnson. Lots of credit should go to D'Antoni.
better shooter: Nash, especially from distance
KJ shot .493 for his career compared to .471 for Nash (Nash also only averages 1.2 three point makes per game).
quicker off the dribble/one-on-one: KJ by a wide margin
KJ also got to the line almost twice as much.

This(making others better) is the defining characteristic of great point guards. This is not a knock on KJ as Nash is better at making others better than ANY point ever, except Magic.
If that is the defining characteristic then Jason Kidd (in his prime) would be at the top of the list. He could make all the passes and was as fast as any PG. He could also play defense (but couldn't shoot).

Nash might be the best point guard for a team with two athletic finishers and some shooters, he is not the overall player that KJ was IMO.

nowagimp

Reaction score
nm132 said:
That's about as objective as position by position comparisons that people always make.

Prior to last season Nash was not being compared to Magic Johnson. Lots of credit should go to D'Antoni.

KJ shot .493 for his career compared to .471 for Nash (Nash also only averages 1.2 three point makes per game).

KJ also got to the line almost twice as much.

If that is the defining characteristic then Jason Kidd (in his prime) would be at the top of the list. He could make all the passes and was as fast as any PG. He could also play defense (but couldn't shoot).

Nash might be the best point guard for a team with two athletic finishers and some shooters, he is not the overall player that KJ was IMO.

OK lets refine some of the shooting stats:

First a disclaimer on overall FG%, which depends on opposing defense, spreading the D by complementary players, and how many layups were taken(big advantage KJ, many more layups)

career FT 85% KJ, 90% nash edge nash

career 3pt 41% nash, 30% KJ, but the three point line was shortened in 94 so this isnt a fair comparison. But after the distance was changed KJ shot over 40% 1 of 5 years, nash has shot >40% threes 8 of 11 seasons

so I make the conclusion that Nash was a better shooter, especially at long range

One on one play:

The fact that KJ got to the line 2x more is covered by the better one-on-one category, I think. Also KJ hoisted alot more shots/game than Nash, KJ had 4 consecutive seasons of >1100 shot attempts, while Nash had one season with 1100 and one with 1000.

comparisons to magic:

The "comparisons to Magic" is not objective, and KJ was not compared with Magic anyway. Lets be serious, magic could play 5 positions, no one really compares, though Riley says Nash's passing does compare. He never said this of KJ. Also, Magic had a great supporting cast to pass the ball to. He had a very balanced set of offensive options from low post scorers(Green, Worthy, Jabbar) to outside sharpshooters(Cooper, Scott, McAdoo) to fast break finishers like worthy, cooper, and Wilks. Nash in Dallas had Finley and Nowitski, and NO low post option to spread the defense. Big edge to Magic and to KJ who had a much better supporting cast of Majerle, Hornacek, Barkley, Chambers, Ceballos, Person(3pt) etc. Big edge KJs supporting cast over Nashs supporting cast in Dallas.

Jason Kidd:

As for Kidd, his lack of outside shooting meant that he did not force the passing lanes open, so often passes couldnt be made into the interior. The strategy of collapsing the defense into the lane and letting him shoot worked on JKidd, but not on KJ or Nash. So this ***** in JKidds game causes him to be less effective at the point, less effective in getting other players the ball where they need it. He was less effective than both KJ and Nash, unless he was on the break. Enough said.

Supporting Cast:

This year and last, Nash has had a very good supporting cast to pass to, though many fans will say that it remains to be seen whether these guys are better than the 88-99 suns or the showtime Lakers. I think that with Stat, Nash has a great low post talent to work with for the first time in his career, so the defense cannot just extend to smother ther perimeter shooters. D'Antoni's system does deserve some credit, but the showtime laker and the run and gun suns also had a system that allowed for great stats, as they were the best running teams of their eras.

As far as Nash needing the finishers, it doesnt explain why he is more effective in the half court game than KJ was. Oh yeah, and KJ had some very good finishers himself. Nash has not had the recognition because many fans think that a guy must be a great one-on-one player to be an all star. Perhaps only Larry Bird has risen above this discriminatory perception. Nash only received recognition because Dallas won a number of consecutive division and conference titles. Only flashy one-on-one players get invited to that joke that is the (defenseless) NBA all star game.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
I do not remember Don Buse having a problem at all! Is that so?

Also, Johnny High was in this mess if I remember right?
Johnny high was killed in an auto accident here in Phx. later, right?

I swore I heard something about Buse but he was not on the scandal team.

It was a long time ago.

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
First, good topic!

Now...

devilalum said:
How about the All "High Times" Team.

James Edwards
William Beford
Don Buse
Walter Davis

Very few people know how close these clowns actually came to killing this franchise. The Suns decided to forgive Davis but the drug scandal was really ugly.

:lol: That's hillarious.. Also, gotta include the late Johnny High and perhaps Dumas on the honorable mention squad.

sunsfn said:
Also, Johnny High was in this mess if I remember right?
Johnny high was killed in an auto accident here in Phx. later, right?

Sadly, both cases are correct. High I believe was killed in '87 or '88. I'm pretty sure it was in the same year Nick Vanos was killed in the plane accident, which was '87.

As for my all time team, and this is going to be brief with little detail (until tommorrow) because my modem is going slow.

PG-- Kevin Johnson

SG: Dan Majerle

SF: Shawn Marion

PF: Sir Charles

C: Alvan Adams

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
my team

PG KJ
SG Sweet D
SF Marion
PF Sir Charles
C Amare

I love Nash but i never even had to think about who my starting PG would be

KJ was and is one of the Best PG i have ever seen. He used to charge the hoop like no other player i have ever seen, and KJ could dish with the best of them. He was Stephon and Nash in one package. You can throw all the stats you want at me but i would always take, IMOP, The best pure b-ball player to ever where a suns uni

Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
Jason Kidd:

As for Kidd, his lack of outside shooting meant that he did not force the passing lanes open, so often passes couldnt be made into the interior. The strategy of collapsing the defense into the lane and letting him shoot worked on JKidd, but not on KJ or Nash. So this ***** in JKidds game causes him to be less effective at the point, less effective in getting other players the ball where they need it. He was less effective than both KJ and Nash, unless he was on the break. Enough said.

Great breakdown of the truth. This is why Kidd should not be going to the Hall of Fame (although others think he is a lock). I see it as essential that a PG hit an open jumper at any time and have the defender know that he can. Without that threat, in essence your team is playing 4 on 5 unless your PG is in the lane. One of the things that makes Nash effective on the P&R is the threat of him taking that shot - and he truly does if the roll is not there. Though I loved to watch Kidd and his passes, I always thought he was over rated since he couldn't shoot as well as some big men from outside.

...besides, he hits women...

nowagimp

Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
Great breakdown of the truth. This is why Kidd should not be going to the Hall of Fame (although others think he is a lock). I see it as essential that a PG hit an open jumper at any time and have the defender know that he can. Without that threat, in essence your team is playing 4 on 5 unless your PG is in the lane. One of the things that makes Nash effective on the P&R is the threat of him taking that shot - and he truly does if the roll is not there. Though I loved to watch Kidd and his passes, I always thought he was over rated since he couldn't shoot as well as some big men from outside.

...besides, he hits women...

The incredible thing about Nash is that he gets so many easy shots in the lane because they fear his passing. I guess they see how KT and others suns feed off the shifting help D. Some of those layups look rediculously undefended, because they are!! Nash sometimes moves relatively slowly in the lane and yet is undefended by the help defense on layups, it is rediculoussssss! I call that RESPECT, no one has to say anything about it, their actions speak volumes!

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
PG: KJ, Nash, Kidd
SG: Thunder Dan, Horny
SF: Matrix, Hawkins, Nance
PF: Sir Charles, Chambers
C: Amare, Adams, Oliver Miller

I don't know who I would have inactive out of those 13 for my active 12 man roster.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Neo said:

I don't know who I would have inactive out of those 13 for my active 12 man roster.

Its seems obvious to me that it should be O. Miller. He did great their at the beginning, he showed potential, but was a flop.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Neo said:

Man, Mark West over Oliver Miller any day of the week.