All-Time Moron Team

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Dexter Manley should be leading this list. He had huge potential.
I feel bad for Manley more than I think he's a moron. Seriously, the system let the man get through without learning how to read or write. Yeah, he may be less intelligent than your average guy, but the system failed him as much as he failed himself.

And Bradshaw a moron? Come on, he may be a hick, he may not be nobel prize material, but he's no moron.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Wally, did you ever see him play? He didn't have a great arm, was only a little mobile and would probably be considered an average QB by many. All he knew how to do was win games and win them he did. That's not a dumb QB. With all his handicaps, he was still able to figure out how to win. That's a smart QB.

I saw him play his whole career. He had a great arm. Extremely mobile. Dumb as a rock.
" He was the middle child of three sons born to a welder and his wife in Shreveport, LA.His athletic prowess wasn’t recognized until his senior year at Woodlawn High School where he finally earned a starting quarterback position and guided his team to the state semi-finals. A few months later his powerful arm was seen again when he set a national record throwing the javelin. Although 200 colleges offered him track scholarships, the young man dreamed of playing pro football. He accepted a football scholarship to LA Tech University.

Four years later Terry Bradshaw arrived in Pittsburgh as a two time Division II All-American, the MVP of the Senior Bowl and the number No.1 draftee of the National Football League. He couldn’t have predicted the struggle that came with his rookie years.

The celebrated athlete with the magic arm was suddenly booed and ridiculed on and off the field, mocked for his southern drawl, labeled a dumb quarterback and given a degrading new moniker, “Li’l Abner.” Terry Bradshaw not only rose to the challenge he demolished it, leading the Pittsburg Steelers to four Super Bowl victories in six years. And he did it all calling his own plays during the heat of the battle.

And once he hung up his cleats, Terry embraced the good ol’ boy image and parlayed it into a successful broadcasting career, becoming an Emmy award winning TV commentator.

Some people would say the Blond Bomber from Louisiana Tech got the last laugh. Terry Bradshaw once said,

“I might be dumb, but I ain’t stupid.” -- Terry Bradshaw

" Even his coach, Chuck Noll, doubted Bradshaw on occasion, benching him at various times for Terry Hanratty and Joe Gilliam, though that ended in 1974, Pittsburgh's first Super Bowl season. Bradshaw's teammates wondered about their quarterback as well. When he once called a power sweep on third-and-30, two offensive linemen threatened to punch him unless he changed the play. At least partly because of his down-home speech patterns, Bradshaw was referred to as "Li'l Abner," a backwoods cartoon character, even as he led the Steelers to their first NFL championship in 1974."

" Dallas linebacker Thomas (Hollywood) Henderson told reporters: "He [Bradshaw] is so dumb, he couldn't spell cat if you spotted him a C and an A."

Faithful

Registered
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Derrell Russell - Raiders
that Underwood guy Minnesota drafted a few years back

Locally - Mark "Man, I ain't learned nothing 'bout nothin'" Smith

I believe Underwood suffered from mental illness, literally. That's not a bust, that's just sad.:(

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Without reading too many posts to prevent bias:

QB - Ryan Leaf
HB - Lawrence Phillips
FB - Cecil Collins
TE - Kellen Winslow Jr
WR - Randy Moss
WR - David Boston
OL - Luis Sharpe
OL - Justin Strzelczyk
OL - Barrett Robbins
OL - Nate Newton
OL - Tony Mandarich

DL - Dexter Manley
DL - Alonzo Spellman
DL - Demitrius Underwood
DL - Reggie White
LB - Demitrius DuBose
LB - Lawrence Taylor
LB - Ray Lewis
CB - Deion Sanders
CB -
S - Eugene Robinson
S - Dale Carter

KR/PR - Rae Carruth
K - Bill Grammatica
P - Scott Player (single-bar face mask gets him this spot)

Very honorable mention: Ricky Williams, OJ Simpson

Those are my all-time starting morons. I need help in 3 spots - OL, OL, CB. The funny thing is that the D would be near impenetrable....

Edited to add Mandarich and Newton to OL....

Last edited:

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CB Deangelo Hall. Going after Faulks knees out of bounds and cheap shotting all year.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
OL - Justin Strzelczyk
I saw that thing on ESPN about him. That guy was a solid guy until he had a career ending injury and then he had mental issues and died for it, I would not call him a moron. Sad story, I would leave him off th elist out of respect for him and his 2 kids that he loved dearly.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
No bigger Moron than Clarence Kay Te Denver 1986-92. Numerous Domestic Violence charges, Violations of restraining orders, drug possession , burglary, just to name a few. :shrug: After spending time in prison it was reported he wanted to try a career in boxing. Said he could beat Tyson.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
I know I don't post here much, so blow me off if you want to. I apologize in advance for offending anyone.

I don't get calling out guys with mental health issues as morons. Guys like Bill Grammatica, Gus Frerotte, Eugene Robinson, Nate Newton, Bam Morris, Jamal Lewis, and Rae Carruth (among others) have done some extremely moronic things and could easily qualify for anyone's list. But calling out some other guys like Underwood, Spellman, Robbins, and Strelczyk who had documented histories seems cheap and unnecessary. We're talking about the NFL here. We could easily pick out an All Star offense and defense of current players who have done or said moronic things without going that route. How has Michael Pittman's name not been brought up yet? What about Thomas "hang on while I take this call" Jones? Or we could always see if the "backstabbed" Shaun Alexander is available? (Not saying Pittman or TJ are All Pros, just easy targets.)

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
I know I don't post here much, so blow me off if you want to. I apologize in advance for offending anyone.

I don't get calling out guys with mental health issues as morons. Guys like Bill Grammatica, Gus Frerotte, Eugene Robinson, Nate Newton, Bam Morris, Jamal Lewis, and Rae Carruth (among others) have done some extremely moronic things and could easily qualify for anyone's list. But calling out some other guys like Underwood, Spellman, Robbins, and Strelczyk who had documented histories seems cheap and unnecessary. We're talking about the NFL here. We could easily pick out an All Star offense and defense of current players who have done or said moronic things without going that route. How has Michael Pittman's name not been brought up yet? What about Thomas "hang on while I take this call" Jones? Or we could always see if the "backstabbed" Shaun Alexander is available? (Not saying Pittman or TJ are All Pros, just easy targets.)

:raccoon:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
But calling out some other guys like Underwood, Spellman, Robbins, and Strelczyk who had documented histories seems cheap and unnecessary.

Good post BigJoe. :thumbup:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Seeds Of Hate said:
Not taking your meds when you are diagnosed bipolar and dying from actions as a result seems pretty moronic to me....

:wave:
Then you probably have zero experience with it. Medications for bipolar disorder regulate extreme mood changes that alternate between manic episodes of abnormally high energy and the extreme lows of depression. Sounds great right? You know those times that you are really jacked on a natural buzz? They lose that. If you don't have any experience with bipolar, you can't even fathom what these people go through.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone redefine moron for this thread. It seems to have meandered. :shrug:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
wallyburger said:
Can someone redefine moron for this thread. It seems to have meandered. :shrug:
Main Entry: mo·ron
Pronunciation: 'mor-"än
Function: noun
Etymology: irregular from Greek mOros foolish, stupid
1 usually offensive : a mildly mentally ******** person
2 : a very stupid person

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Wally, did you ever see him play? He didn't have a great arm, was only a little mobile and would probably be considered an average QB by many. All he knew how to do was win games and win them he did. That's not a dumb QB. With all his handicaps, he was still able to figure out how to win. That's a smart QB.

Bradshaw had a cannon for an arm. Hell even he admits he was dumb. He became a good QB but figuring out how to win is easy with a HOF RB, 2 great WR's and one of the great defenses of that era.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Oh boy!

I love this game.

Dexter Manley should be leading this list. He had huge potential.

I never remember but there was a really good saftey for the Bucs with the last name Haddix who drugged himself out of the NFL.

How about the guy who disapeared on the Bengals before the Superbowl?

Who was the guy on teh Falcons who was arrest for sleeping with the prostitute before the Superbowl?

I still think Dale Carter is a great one, he was already mentioned, but he IS the poster child to ruining your career.

Peace
:thumbup:

Eugene Robinson

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Bradshaw had a cannon for an arm. Hell even he admits he was dumb. He became a good QB but figuring out how to win is easy with a HOF RB, 2 great WR's and one of the great defenses of that era.

Peyton Manning is the "Anti-Bradshaw". Super smart, but doesn't make the big throws in the big games. I'd take a QB like Bradshaw over Manning anyday.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
Not all time, but current players, in the league. I based this on things that have been done or said or happened to come to light in the last year or so. I figured, for the purpose of this list, that sins have been paid for so no sense beating dead horses.

At QB:
For on field actions

Jake Plummer (no really, he has a plan for every time he throws a left hand, underhanded behind the back blindfolded pass straight up in the air)

Peyton Manning (for continuing to believe he can outsmart the Patriots defensive braintrust)

For off field actions

Eli Manning (good thing he didn’t go play for those losing Chargers)

Kurt Warner (two words: Brenda Warner)

At WR:
David Boston (not because he tested positive for steroids, which I don’t personally believe was intentional, but for putting a higher priority on bodybuilding than receiving)

Terrell Owens (for his never ending attempt to make himself bigger than a team that has now gone to 4 straight NFC championship games…honorable mention to the rest of the Eagles for letting him do that)

At RB:
Ricky Williams (not for following his dream of doing nothing, but for waiting until right before training camp to announce his intentions of doing so, oh, and all of the nonsense comments that he has made since)

Shaun Alexander (the “backstabbed” comment probably cost him six or seven figures on his big FA contract)

Jamal Lewis (sure, the event happened a few years back, but just hit the court this year)

At OL:
Kyle Turley (when Mike Martz has to call security because he thinks you’ve lost it, you probably lost it a LONG time ago)

Orlando Pace (for continuing to listen to his agents and wasting the last 3 seasons of being Franchised and expecting a $20 million signing bonus for a LT who is now aging and never seemed all that interested in greatness anyway)

Walter Jones (although he is better player that Pace, how do you let yourself get put in the position of being franchised 3 years in a row?)

At DL:
John Abraham (most people pretty much figured that he was being conservative with his injury due to FA, no need to actually say it)

Simeon Rice (for letting his big mouth and attempted use of big words get in the way of what is shaping up to be a potentially HOF career)

Warren Sapp (for believing that he is 1996-99 Warren Sapp, not the 2004 version…honorable mention to the Raiders for believing him)

At LB:
(Drawing a blank...I'm sure some good stuff happened, but nothing Dwayne Rudd-esque stands out in my head. I'll leave this open in case I think of something)

At DB:
John Lynch (for headhunting everything in sight, then berating the NFL for trashing his reputation when they fine him for it)

Deion Sanders (I bet he’s hoping he lost his “dog” before the season actually started)

DeAngelo Hall (as someone mentioned earlier, starting off your career with a reputation as someone who goes after people’s knees is not the best way to get off on the right foot)

At K:
Mike Vanderjagt (just because he thinks that anybody is really going to care if he goes off to kick in the CFL)

2005 Early Nominees

Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk (in case both decide not to walk away before everyone talks about how great they used to be)

Capt'nCard

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm surprised i havent seen Leonard Little? Wasnt he charged with manslaughter on a DWI and recieved another DUI the next year? Thats moronic if I've ever heard it? :confused: