Am I the only one concerned about Blakes accuracy on short passes?

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by azcardsfan1616
ask anyone here who lives on the east coast and has seen many NO, Cincy, and Raven games. The guy has to scramble to complete the short stuff. Last year he didnt play all 16 games. So comapring his stats to a 16 game starter last year really doesnt say much. I have seen my fair share of blake games(actually more than i wanted to) to know that he has a problem with his accuracy inside of 10 or 15 yards. He has not impressed me at all since becoming a cardinal(and yes i know its early). The only offensive TD we have this preseason is on a trick play and yes that does concern me. I have seen about 20 blake games to answer your question, so let me ask you how many you have seen.

Your on crack!

Thats all there is to it! Blake stats for an entire career not part of a season are very respectible! More than that I have seen the guy play a multitude of times and he has nowhere near the problem you make it out to be!

The mere fact that the guy is able to have a career comp percentage of more than 56% speaks loads of a guy who clearly throws the long ball more than your average QB!

If you think he attained that comp % by doing nothing but completing long or medium ranged passes then you are(read first sentence) and thats all there is to it!

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
The guy has to scramble to complete the short stuff. Last year he didnt play all 16 games. So comapring his stats to a 16 game starter last year really doesnt say much.

AZCF:

I don't care if Blake has to stand on his head "to complete the short stuff." He made over two-thirds (67.5) of his attempts at less than 10 yards, last season, and averaged 6.2 yards per attempt. That doesn't indicate a problem with "accuracy on short passes." Not to me, anyway.

Ten games is enough for completion percentages and yards-per-attempt to be meaningful, IMO. Can't compare yardage or total scores to a 16-game starter, of course. But I didn't do that.

Speaking of comparisons, I'd already pointed out that Blake was more-accurate at 1-10 yards last year than Plummer (61.9). Compared to the higher-rated QBs in the league, Blake was also better than Brad Johnson (65.5) and Trent Green (66.5) at completing his short throws, and not far behind Drew Bledsoe (70.0) and Peyton Manning (71.8).

Blake might not be my first choice to run a West Coast Offense. But his short passing game is hardly a liability. His short-range accuracy is comparable to that of the better passers in the league.

And his long-range accuracy is scary. Last year, as a mid-season replacement in his first-and-only season with the Ravens, Blake completed 50 percent of his throws from 31-40 yards. Comparisons: Johnson, 0.0; Plummer, 12.5; Bledsoe, 18.8; Green, 22.7; Manning, 25.0.

Blake's short game won't get you beat. And his long ball can give a defense fits. If you can find someone to go catch it.

WC

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
1616, youve been pukin on blake since day one. you said you saw him play 20 times, well ive watched him about 75 times. he is a good football playerwho uses all his receivers. i saw him dump many short passes last year and one in particular was to jamal lewis for a 79 yard td. arent you the guy that wanted us to sign detroits backup qb, some kid from fordham or something? why dont you shutup and hope jeff plays well so we can have a winner. did you notice that he is not turning it over and we are winning?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen one jeff blake game? He cant throw a ball shorter than 10 or 15 yards. It has nothing to do with the recievers and everything to do with his height.

well in 2000 when he was the Saints QB until he got hurt, he completed 70% of his passes that went 10 yards or less. THat's how STATS lists it so I can't give you the to 15 yards number. Then his numbers fall off below 50%, just like every other QB. Jake was at 68% behind the line and 64% 0-10 yards so Blake WAS more accurate than Jake on these short passes.

He's been this short for a long time I think you're overestimating the impact on his game.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with Bucky.

You've got to evaluate a passing game (long or short) as though it were a single many tentacled animal consisting of QB, receivers, blockers and RB's posing a running threat into the line.

For the animal to succeed, everything must be in synch.

Part of the problem has been Blake, but a bigger problem is the lack of open receivers.

On a couple of badly executed long balls, it almost seems as though Blake only had one receiver he had to throw to (whether he was open or not). You didn't get the sense that he was going through any progressions - making me wonder whether there were secondary or tertiary throwing options that were part of those plays.

Maybe Sully's been holding back and only dialing up vanilla on the patterns.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
I agree with Bucky.

On a couple of badly executed long balls, it almost seems as though Blake only had one receiver he had to throw to (whether he was open or not). You didn't get the sense that he was going through any progressions - making me wonder whether there were secondary or tertiary throwing options that were part of those plays.

Maybe Sully's been holding back and only dialing up vanilla on the patterns.

Or we could have kept Jake and continued to watch him hit the defense in stride. In his 2nd game he overthrew Lelie into double coverage, Mike Green picked it, and only Portis' tackle prevented a TD return(green had over 40 yards on the return). Did I mention they were on the Bear 10 yard line when he made this mistake?

We just have to realize Blake is who he is, he's not Bledsoe or Vick or any of the "exciting" QB's in the NFL but he's got a strong arm, he's very experienced and he won't bury the team with silly mistakes.

On the Bronco board right now they're debating did the WR run the wrong route or was that just a bad throw? Was it a bad read, did he not see the safety sitting there? There were 2 other balls nearly picked his passes seem to float at times etc. Are we not all glad that this is no longer the Cards problem?

Give Blake a chance he did quite well last year and if you look at what he did in new orleans before he got hurt you can't help but be impressed.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtav10
1616, youve been pukin on blake since day one. you said you saw him play 20 times, well ive watched him about 75 times. he is a good football playerwho uses all his receivers. i saw him dump many short passes last year and one in particular was to jamal lewis for a 79 yard td. arent you the guy that wanted us to sign detroits backup qb, some kid from fordham or something? why dont you shutup and hope jeff plays well so we can have a winner. did you notice that he is not turning it over and we are winning?

What the hell are you talking about? I have only been punking jeff on his height and short pass ability. I wanted the cards to trade for couch the whole way. Blake is not here for the long term and he not here to help josh or preston so really why is he here? We cant build our team around him like we could with couch. Let me point out to you that we are 2-0 in PRE-SEASON! I ve said this many times already but nobody understands this concept. We have not won yet. IMO we lost against SD. They out performed us plain and simple. Some of you people say pre-season dosent matter then turn around and push that we are 2-0( in meaningless games).

BTW Blake is no vick, vick has tons of other weapons than blake, mostly his legs and his arm.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
couch sucks. blake outplayed him last year. maybe you cant read but everything ive read since his arrival has been very positive about his interaction with his teammates including the qbs. if you want to make things up then do it on a board where people dont know football cause your bs doesnt seem to be cutting it here.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about? I have only been punking jeff on his height and short pass ability. I wanted the cards to trade for couch the whole way. Blake is not here for the long term and he not here to help josh or preston so really why is he here? We cant build our team around him like we could with couch. Let me point out to you that we are 2-0 in PRE-SEASON! I ve said this many times already but nobody understands this concept. We have not won yet. IMO we lost against SD. They out performed us plain and simple. Some of you people say pre-season dosent matter then turn around and push that we are 2-0( in meaningless games).

BTW Blake is no vick, vick has tons of other weapons than blake, mostly his legs and his arm.

Would you rather have Jake than Blake? I don't understand the knocks on his short passing, look him up and you'll see he's about as good as most QB's on the short pass. He's not going to get any taller at his age so worrying about it now is kind of pointless.

If you're expecting Blake to be a superstar then yeah you'll be disappointed, but he's a good solid NFL Qb and you can win more games with him than we did with Jake and personally I think more than we would with Couch.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtav10
couch sucks. blake outplayed him last year. maybe you cant read but everything ive read since his arrival has been very positive about his interaction with his teammates including the qbs. if you want to make things up then do it on a board where people dont know football cause your bs doesnt seem to be cutting it here.

Couch sucks????? Im sure if we got him your story would be different. Dude you need to chill blake said it himself hes not here to teach anyone hes here to play. So what BS am i pushing if he actually said these things. I am not the only person who sees a problem with blakes accuracy. I did not start this thread yet it is based on a problem someone has on his accuracy. The only positive i have read about his interaction is that he gets on the players. So what are YOU kicking me off the board? Who are YOU?

Yes i would rather have blake but i think he has some problems.

If blake is so damn good how come he is a journeyman and the cards were the only team to offer him a contract????? I dont get it if he is so damn good on the field(as most of you say) and so good in the clubhouse why does he bounce around from team to team and never lock up the starting job for any extended amount of time? Everywhere he has gone there has been a QB controversey(sp?).

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Couch sucks????? Im sure if we got him your story would be different. Dude you need to chill blake said it himself hes not here to teach anyone hes here to play. So what BS am i pushing if he actually said these things. I am not the only person who sees a problem with blakes accuracy. I did not start this thread yet it is based on a problem someone has on his accuracy. The only positive i have read about his interaction is that he gets on the players. So what are YOU kicking me off the board? Who are YOU?

Yes i would rather have blake but i think he has some problems.

If blake is so damn good how come he is a journeyman and the cards were the only team to offer him a contract????? I dont get it if he is so damn good on the field(as most of you say) and so good in the clubhouse why does he bounce around from team to team and never lock up the starting job for any extended amount of time? Everywhere he has gone there has been a QB controversey(sp?).

Forget Couch. He will be starting for the Browns again by mid-season...if not sooner...IMO.

Show me any QB in the league and he has problems of some kind. The issue will be can Blake/the team overcome whatever problems he may or may not have.

As for the journeyman tag...I would say this. Until he was hurt in NO, I don't think the tag was on him being a journeyman. In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that had he not been hurt he may STILL be starting in NO. After the injury, there was probably the injury stigma and he signed with BAL thinking it was a good place to get a chance to start. I don't buy the journeyman argument.

But his height is an issu-e and it is up to the Oline to provide adequate passing lanes for him to make his throws. It isn't like Jake was 6-6 or something either. If he continues on his historical path stats wise the Cards are still much better off.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

he never had a shot with the Jets they let him go too early.

In Cincy he was a very good player but the team never got over the hump so he got pushed aside for Akili Smith. That last year he had pretty good numbers but they ultimately went to Akili. Then he gets the Saints job, does well, gets hurt and Aaron Brooks does so well he is gone again. Then he takes the Ravens job and does so well Billick says he wants him as his QB, but is still expecting him to take backup money, so we get him.

You can make similar statements about Rich Gannon there wasn't a whole lot of demand for him when the Raiders got him either.

As for the training young QB's part I don't see that as a problem, we didn't bring Blake in to be a backup we brought him in to be the starter until he gets replaced. If he said he wanted Josh to replace him I don't think we'd be too happy with that? The guy he replaced was asked to do the same thing, take the job on the condition he was competing for it, he called that "ridiculous". I think Blake has the right approach it's my job until someone takes it.

If any other QB on our roster is good enough to take the job from Blake I think that's a GREAT thing for this franchise. Don't see it happening this year.

You keep saying he's not accurate on short passes but the numbers say he is unless you don't think ~ 70% is accurate.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
"2) We are 2-0 in PRE-SEASON! BTW like i said in another thread i dont think we beat the chargers no matter wat the score read. We were a beaten team no doubt about it. Our first team got stomped into the ground."

The end of the half was 3-3 score. Yes, they had a strong drive against us, but the defense held in the red zone. They lead us for 1 quarter by 3 points - period.

We weren't beat. Perhaps we didn't dominate as we did against the Cowboys, but for heavens sake we played what's supposed to be a playoff team, with what's supposed to be a dominant offense this year -- and the first team scored exactly 3 points against us

Last edited:

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brighteyes
"2) We are 2-0 in PRE-SEASON! BTW like i said in another thread i dont think we beat the chargers no matter wat the score read. We were a beaten team no doubt about it. Our first team got stomped into the ground."

The end of the half was 3-3 score. Yes, they had a strong drive against us, but the defense held in the red zone. They lead us for 1 quarter by 3 points - period.

We weren't beat. Perhaps we didn't dominate as we did against the Cowboys, but for heavens sake we played what's supposed to be a playoff team, with what's supposed to be a dominant offense this year -- and the first team scored exactly 3 points against us

LT played for 3 plays. Boston and brees played for 1 series. We actually didnt play the playoff team.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
1616, mybad for getting so riled up. jeff has always been my favorite player and ive followed him since college days. he had a cup of coffee with the jets but he hung in there with cincy and put up good numbers. he played well for the saints but got hurt. billick wanted him as his starter but they offered him chump change. i would say i am the expert on blake so please listen to this. blake is streaky like a streak shooter in bball. he will throw some balls that are horrible but then deliver 5 in a row of the best passes youve ever seen. the more he throws the better he will look. GO CARDS!

Tashunca

Registered
Reaction score
The Blake "Journey".

Blake would be playing for the Saints now if it wasn't for the salary cap. They chose Brooks because they could pay him the $650,000 minimum AND he was younger. Blake had signed for $15 million (bonus included) so the Saints did the businesswise thing by letting him go free. I said "businesswise " thing. But successwise it wasn't so smart. For the last two CONSECUTIVE seasons the Saints lost their last FOUR GAMES IN A ROW when if they had just won ONE of them they would have gone to the playoffs both times! Blake wouldn't have lost four consecutive games in 2001 and 2002 and keep HIS team OUT of the playoffs!