Votes: 14 50.0%
  • No, it's a waste of time and it'll change nothing

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want the example of when in Edge's career he was "breaking off long runs".

Please I am begging someone to inform me of this. Cause I have never seen the guy busting out +40 yard gain on a consistant basis.

I DO see a back that keeps our rushing game alive by getting 2 to 3 extra yards after contact on a consistant basis but I guess that is not good enough for the Cardinals.

He's never had the speed Peterson does but the guy has 42 runs in his career over 20 yards, and only 2 of those have come as an Arizona Cardinal. He had 18 such runs in his first 2 NFL seasons, he had 4 over 40 as a rookie. He hasn't had speed since the knee injury but it's gone down even more in recent years he doesn't even try to bust them now he doesn't try to run away he looks for someone to run into and finish the run. He runs hard still I'll give him that and he's got great feet, makes people miss he gets yards on plays where JJ or Shipp would lose yards, but he's not going to bust long runs.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
a back with the speed to bounce to the outside or turn a 15 yard gain into 70 and power and vision to hit the hole... like Adrian Peterson.

Yes, but there are 29 other teams that would say AP would be more productive that their current back as well.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being stuffed for 60 or 70 yards, is a LOT different than being stuffed for 20 or 30. Big, big difference.
Not only that, he's been splitting time with Chester Taylor. In those starts Taylor had 18 carries. Peterson had 32. Only 64% of the carries.

I haven't looked, but in remembering the games where Edge has low totals, I'd bet Edge had 90% + of the carries.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's never had the speed Peterson does but the guy has 42 runs in his career over 20 yards, and only 2 of those have come as an Arizona Cardinal. He had 18 such runs in his first 2 NFL seasons, he had 4 over 40 as a rookie. He hasn't had speed since the knee injury but it's gone down even more in recent years he doesn't even try to bust them now he doesn't try to run away he looks for someone to run into and finish the run. He runs hard still I'll give him that and he's got great feet, makes people miss he gets yards on plays where JJ or Shipp would lose yards, but he's not going to bust long runs.

anyone remember Edge's "long run" against the Ravens? That's an AP touchdown without a doubt. For Edge it was a 25 yard gain right? That's the difference.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AND ?!?!

Tell me one back who would be more productive in our current system.

You can say Adrian Peterson but he has be stuffed and stifled for games of 70and 60 yards when gaping holes were not there for him to run through. So I am not going to by into that.

Edge is NOT the problem here in the desert.

He's only had 2 games all year where he was under 4 YPC, one of his lowest yardage games he averaged 5.3 YPC just didn't get enough carries.

Edge isn't the problem but he's past his prime and it's reasonable to assume he'll be even more past his prime next season.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I agree with you on that Russ and he probably does take up more cap space than he should, but before we signed him he was a known commodity in the league. Everyone knew that this is how he runs the ball. The Colts didn't want to pay him the dollars because they had their money tied into a stellar quarterback and probably the best WR tandem in the league.

There are definitely HBs in the game who are better but I do think that he would start on most NFL teams. Even though he isn't a threat for the long run, he still can keep the chains moving and that has to be worth something.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but there are 29 other teams that would say AP would be more productive that their current back as well.

but 29 other teams didn't pass on him. Besides, Rugby asked me for one player and I gave it to him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. But only a handful of people in the world that would say --even in retrospect -- that Brown is still the right pick for the Cardinals.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anyone remember Edge's "long run" against the Ravens? That's an AP touchdown without a doubt. For Edge it was a 25 yard gain right? That's the difference.

or the one in the opener where Shipp got the carry and the whole right side was blocked and he ran right into the CB on the side who was the only player on the field who had a chance to get him. You give that ball to Peterson it's a 70+ yard TD, Shipp got 14. The only RB we have on our team with any speed is JJ and he's just never shown the ability to get into the secondary where he can use his speed.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, I like Edge. But at this point in his career I think it would be wise to pair him with a Fast Willie Parker type.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on that Russ and he probably does take up more cap space than he should, but before we signed him he was a known commodity in the league. Everyone knew that this is how he runs the ball. The Colts didn't want to pay him the dollars because they had their money tied into a stellar quarterback and probably the best WR tandem in the league.

There are definitely HBs in the game who are better but I do think that he would start on most NFL teams. Even though he isn't a threat for the long run, he still can keep the chains moving and that has to be worth something.

The Colts had the caproom they just correctly assumed it would be better spent on other players and that they could get a younger RB (Addai) who'd work as well or better in their system. Remember they tried to trade Edge the year before and couldn't so they franchised him.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy and that if you plug JJ in he'll average 5 YPC, EDge is clearly the best RB we have, by far, but he's part of the problem we have on offense because we have zero speed. Everything gets compressed because nobody is ever worried about us, and when we do get a guy open downfield, he inexplicably steps out of bounds.

:bang:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
a back with the speed to bounce to the outside or turn a 15 yard gain into 70 and power and vision to hit the hole... like Adrian Peterson.

he's not THE problem, but he's one of them.

So you think Edge is one of the problems.

So our offensive line is good enough that if you put Adrian Peterson back there with Elton Brown and Mike Gandy as your starting OT he would have had 100 yard game against the Panthers, Redskins, and Bucs ?

I personally don't think so. AP is a stud but he is not a higher power.

Where I think the problem is ? Our leaders, our captains.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Tou che

Speed is a big problem on our team in all areas. It seems that our secondary is slow, our receivers are slow and our half backs are slow. Do we just need new players at each position?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So our offensive line is good enough that if you put Adrian Peterson back there with Elton Brown and Mike Gandy as your starting OT he would have had 100 yard game against the Panthers, Redskins, and Bucs ?
It's a two part question:

1. Yes, I think the line has shown enough without Brown in there that Peterson could be more effective than Edge

2. Maybe he doesn't have 100 yards against those teams, maybe he does. But I'd bet he'd have broken the 200 mark against the 9ers and Ravens.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, that is JJ's role.

I am not saying he is any good at it. He asked the question.

Don't laugh at me, go laugh at the Cardinals FO for picking him.
That may be his role, but he is not the "fast willie parker type."

Anyway, when I say he needs to be paired with another effective back, I don't mean giving 2-3 carries per game to that guy--I mean splitting it 60-40.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rugby, did I ever say he would have three straight 100 yard games? No. Don't put words in my mouth. Do I think he'd have more than 176 yards, with a 3.08 yards per carry? Yeah.

a rookie on pace for 2000 yards and 18 touchdowns while SHARING the ball IS a higher power Rugby. We're seeing something beyond historic here.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rugby, did I ever say he would have three straight 100 yard games? No. Don't put words in my mouth. Do I think he'd have more than 176 yards, with a 3.08 yards per carry? Yeah.

a rookie on pace for 2000 yards and 18 touchdowns while SHARING the ball IS a higher power Rugby. We're seeing something beyond historic here.

Come on Beefy I have been on this board long enough not to put words in your mouth. I asked you a question, notice the question mark....heck I even proof read the post before I hit submit.

Thus I say where did I ever state that you said AP would get 100 yards a game. Put the defenses down you know, you and I can debate with some civility.

If you think he is a higher power then I guess I can't say anything more. Hind sight being 20/20 I would have love to have AP on the team but he is not, and I think he would have suffered behind our line just the same.

But I guess we have to agree to disagree about Edge being one of our problems. I personally think a speed back (all higher powers aside) would be getting crushed behind our line. We run a power running game and Edge is a power back. What else could you want from the guy ?

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where I think the problem is ? Our leaders, our captains.

Absolutely.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That may be his role, but he is not the "fast willie parker type."

Anyway, when I say he needs to be paired with another effective back, I don't mean giving 2-3 carries per game to that guy--I mean splitting it 60-40.

Well, now that is has to be an effective back that shortens the list considerably.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Edge plays hard but he's part of our offensive problem. He's slow now and would be a backup part-time sub on most teams. Until we get a real threat at RB, the entire offense will underperform.

New RB(s) are critical to improving next year.

Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this opinion. Edge continually hits the hole too late. And when he does hit the hole, it's with the speed of an aging back. He's done as a premier rb.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am sure the second or two that Warner wastes trying to hand him the ball with the wrong hand has some effect. When Leinart was getting him the ball quickly the running game sure looked a hell of alot better. And him getting 9 carries is a freaking joke from a coach who preaches ball control and running game.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I am sure the second or two that Warner wastes trying to hand him the ball with the wrong hand has some effect. When Leinart was getting him the ball quickly the running game sure looked a hell of alot better. And him getting 9 carries is a freaking joke from a coach who preaches ball control and running game.

When you noly have the ball for 15 min and your Wr's can't catch the ball it is hard to run any more than that.