Votes: 14 50.0%
  • No, it's a waste of time and it'll change nothing

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Beefy I have been on this board long enough not to put words in your mouth. I asked you a question, notice the question mark....heck I even proof read the post before I hit submit.

Thus I say where did I ever state that you said AP would get 100 yards a game. Put the defenses down you know, you and I can debate with some civility.

right here:

"So our offensive line is good enough that if you put Adrian Peterson back there with Elton Brown and Mike Gandy as your starting OT he would have had 100 yard game against the Panthers, Redskins, and Bucs ?"

how else am I supposed to read that Rugby?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edge - Keep it up and I hope the yards will come. You've shown nothing but class from the start.

Ya, except for the 2 week lil mini tantrum he threw last year.. Other than that he's been good.. A lot better than Emmitt " Imma cry over the cowboys on national tv after my new team just got beat by my old team" Smith did .. Both on and off the field Edge has been alot better than Emmitt.. Emmitt sucked.. Man I hate that guy..

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
right here:

"So our offensive line is good enough that if you put Adrian Peterson back there with Elton Brown and Mike Gandy as your starting OT he would have had 100 yard game against the Panthers, Redskins, and Bucs ?"

how else am I supposed to read that Rugby?

As a question. Dreamstocks on post #42 took it like I meant it to be. I am asking you if you honest think Adrian Peterson could get a 100 yards against those three teams behind the current AZ line.

No where does it say that I am quoting you on anything......did I miss a comma or something ?

I mean you have talked to me about this before, and you know I like debating with you so why would I do something to get you all riled up on purpose ?

I dunno. Maybe I am THAT BAD at communication, I admit it is a weak point of mine if not the weakest. I am a heck of a mind when it comes to formulas, equations, physics, and mathmatics ....not to blow smoke up my own butt.

I KNOW! It is that I put you, and yours instead of using we and ours ? Maybe that I used 100 yards ? I dunno isn't 100 yards supposed be "a successful day" for a back ?

Seriously Beefy I really wasn't trying to get at you. Just a question.

But if I got you P.O.'d, Sorry Beefy I know you absolutely HATE when people put words in your mouth. It was completely unintentional.

Cool?

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Since when has Fast Willie PArker been anything BUT effective? I didn't think I had to spell it out in my first post.

Wow. I better call it a day. 1st John and Shane with the pass to Fitz, then Beefy with AP, and now you with speed back. Sorry man, I guess I have a case of the "can't say anything that makes sense". I do write these when I am at work and thinking about inrush current limiters, and why our 300 W transformers keep blowing there internal fuse. So I am only 50/50 thinking about what I type.

I know I didn't say Willie Parker is not effective but I guess I implied it or somethin'

I thought we were still talking about JJ Arrington, and speed backs.

I said it shortens the list. Willie Parker is on that short list. The guy is very effective.

I would put Maurice Jones-Drew on the list as well. Talk about a guy I would love in our backfield.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. I better call it a day. 1st John and Shane with the pass to Fitz, then Beefy with AP, and now you with speed back. Sorry man, I guess I have a case of the "can't say anything that makes sense". I do write these when I am at work and thinking about inrush current limiters, and why our 300 W transformers keep blowing there internal fuse. So I am only 50/50 thinking about what I type.

I know I didn't say Willie Parker is not effective but I guess I implied it or somethin'

I thought we were still talking about JJ Arrington, and speed backs.

I said it shortens the list. Willie Parker is on that short list. The guy is very effective.

I would put Maurice Jones-Drew on the list as well. Talk about a guy I would love in our backfield.

Maurice absolutely stunned me. I saw him play in HS, watched him at UCLA. My comments pre draft were simple, great kid, can return kicks, 3rd down RB, too small might be better than Arrington because of the returns but not much.

I'm amazed at how good he's played in the NFL.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anyone see our line play in Tampa? Adrian Peterson might have gotten 10 yards max.

I don't know. It looks to me like Edge is a little too slow out of the blocks to make some of the plays work that Willie Parker takes for 7,8, or 9 yards.

Whisenhunt needs to adjust some of what they're trying to do to fit James style a little more.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. It looks to me like Edge is a little too slow out of the blocks to make some of the plays work that Willie Parker takes for 7,8, or 9 yards.

Whisenhunt needs to adjust some of what they're trying to do to fit James style a little more.

For example putting the FB BEHIND Edge instead of in front so that after the snap he can give Edge a good push to get him started?

:D

Joking I don't think Edge is THAT slow... yet.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
For example putting the FB BEHIND Edge instead of in front so that after the snap he can give Edge a good push to get him started?

:D

Joking I don't think Edge is THAT slow... yet.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Early in the Tampa game the Cards run what looks like a draw. Our LT blocks the DE to the outside like in pass pro and then releases to go downfield and make another block. That DE tackles Edge from behind.

Now it could be that the LT released early or the handoff was delayed because of Warners injury but to me it looked like James was slow off the mark and a quicker back gets a big gain on the play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Early in the Tampa game the Cards run what looks like a draw. Our LT blocks the DE to the outside like in pass pro and then releases to go downfield and make another block. That DE tackles Edge from behind.

Now it could be that the LT released early or the handoff was delayed because of Warners injury but to me it looked like James was slow off the mark and a quicker back gets a big gain on the play.

If you saw the 56 yard run Marshawn Lynch busted for a TD very similar play. The DE was ushered to the outside and he damn near got Lynch in the backfield coming around the corner from behind. Lynch just got away, then broke 2 tackles to get past the LOS, and was gone. Edge would have lost 5 yards on that play because the DE would have caught him.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Edge was running fine this season until the Oline decided to take a few weeks off. It could be the fact Warner is not exactly quick to get Edge the ball. They need to maybe do some pitches if they gonna run to the right. It looks like it slows him able to even get started with that stupid handoff they are doing. Try some pitches or screens something different, what the hell happened to the imaginative play calling Whiz was known for?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edge was running fine this season until the Oline decided to take a few weeks off.

Edge's first game of the season he ran for 95 yards, but rushed for 3.5 ypc. He's had one GOOD game from a yards and ypc standpoint and that's it for the season. Him and the O-line (as usual) are the problems.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
right a HOF running back is why the Cards can't run the ball. I will just be done with this thread, useless posting about this subject. The cards did the RIGHT thing and addressed the line, whats the use of having a stable of backs with no line? I guess depth since they would all probally end up injured taking tons of hits for little to no yardage! Good plan!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
right a HOF running back is why the Cards can't run the ball.

A HOF RB who's past his prime with a mediocre line in front of him is why they can't run the ball.

I will just be done with this thread, useless posting about this subject. The cards did the RIGHT thing and addressed the line, whats the use of having a stable of backs with no line? I guess depth since they would all probally end up injured taking tons of hits for little to no yardage! Good plan!

you know, you CAN actually draft offensive linemen outside of the top ten. I'm pretty sure the Colts got their starting LT in the second round. He seems to be doing fine, just as many other teams have done in the past, especially when you're not even picking the NUMBER ONE RATED TACKLE in the draft! We took the questionable guy over the sure-fire pick. Genius.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
who was the sure fire pick? AP then why did 4 other teams pass on that sure fire pick? please he was and still is an injury waiting to happen. He runs very upright and has injury issues he will be injured sooner or later if he makes it through this season he will have been extremely lucky.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who was the sure fire pick? AP then why did 4 other teams pass on that sure fire pick? please he was and still is an injury waiting to happen. He runs very upright and has injury issues he will be injured sooner or later if he makes it through this season he will have been extremely lucky.

How many teams passed on Randy Moss, were they right too he had a lot more questions than Peterson.

how many teams passed on tom Brady?

Per ESPN, Detroit had AP rated tops on their board, but they heard the report that his shoulder had been reinjured and wouldn't accept the doctors evaluation that said he didn't need surgery. They'd had Charles Rogers career derailed by a shoulder injury so they decided to pick the WR instead they were concerned that all those games on turf he'd reinjure the shoulder.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who was the sure fire pick? AP then why did 4 other teams pass on that sure fire pick?

because they all took sure-fire picks. This really isn't that hard. There's sure fire picks, the number one rated player at each position in the draft. 4 of them went before our pick. Then we took a second rate player, while there were still sure-fire picks on the board.

please he was and still is an injury waiting to happen.

like our first round pick?

He runs very upright and has injury issues he will be injured sooner or later if he makes it through this season he will have been extremely lucky.

hasn't happened yet. People said the same thing about Thurman Thomas coming out of college. He seemed to be okay.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading the recent arguments above, my sense is that some of us are arguing about the wrong things. Things that don't matter anymore.

Dwelling on what should or could have been done in past drafts has absolutely nothing to do with identifying current weaknesses and fixing them.

Blaming any one particular player as being the primary reason for our offensive failures is simplistic and unfair. Excusing any one player's performances as being solely due to other weaknesses around him is also not realistic and would have the effect of never correcting a fixable problem.

In my opinion, our primary back, Edgerrin James, is slow and doesn't ever make a big play on his own when blocking breaks down. Most starting NFL backs are faster and more prone to make a big play on their own. James is still our best RB and produces decent results in some games.

Backup Marcel Shipp is a six year veteran with some past successes, some major injuries and a documented history as a poor blocker in blitz pick-up. If he were capable of more, we'd have known it by now.

Backup RB JJ Arrington is in his third year of undistinguished performance as a runner. Our fastest RB, his best plays have been as a kick returner and as a receiver out of the backfield. He too is a poor blocker.

Collectively, they do not provide us with much of a run game. That flaw contributes to the imbalance and ineffectiveness of our offense.

We need better RBs. Plural.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Wow... memories seemed to have become non-existent!! The guy was having one of the best seasons of a RB when the line was blocking to start the year. That same line had regressed greatly and now he is having to lung over O-lineman on the ground to get a yard or two. He isn't a guy who will break off a 80 yarder, but those guys are RARE. he's an above average back who has no blocking in front of him. He also get stronger as the game wears on, but recently we seem to give up on the run too fast IMO. Now, maybe he isn't worth 8 million a year, but he's not a backup. That is just your emotions talking. Face it, we had to pay more to get him here because our team stinks. But I do think we need to consider drafting a guy to replace he and Shipp in the next year. Arrington has proven nothing but a complimentary guy. Youth needs to be infused now so that young back is ready when the gas tanks run empty.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need better RBs. Plural.

we also need better personnel people picking them up, which is why our history is relevant in the discussion. Until we get competance in the FO, not much will change.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
we also need better personnel people picking them up, which is why our history is relevant in the discussion. Until we get competance in the FO, not much will change.
Not going to touch this subject anymore, because when I criticize this team's front office I get lectured for causing trouble. No comment Cheesy, but the good news is that there's a "plan" in place though from what I'm told. No clue how long it's going to take until we see results.

Those of you who believe Edge is still an elite back in this league must still think Limp Bizkit is the new thing in frat rock. He's about as slow as the fat Jerome Bettis without the ability to drag would-be tacklers. There's a reason Indy was antsy to re-sign Peyton, Wayne, and Harrison and let him walk. Just look what Addai is doing in that offense right now. It's high time to face facts that we signed Emmitt again with a little bit more left on the tires.

As far as the Cards go as a whole, 3.7 YPC as a team just ain't going to cut it without a Top 5 defense which we do not have. Our passing game isn't there either which makes little sense considering the supposed greatness of our WR's. The only time the Cardinals have consistently moved the ball this season is when we threw in tht gimmick no-huddle offense. When we line up and call a play, we're not that much better and perhaps worse than last year's version. And that is a poor reflection on the coaching staff and greatly concerns me.

And as far as Edge going crazy and demanding out, it's only a matter of time. And I'm guessing at least one or more of Fitz, Anquan, Dockett, or Wilson will join him as well if we keep crapping the bed every Sunday. Losing simply takes it's toll. I remember the foundation of Simeon, Jake, Aeneas, Lassiter, Swann, Wadsworth, etc. all saying how they wanted to turn things around here at one point also. I believe four of those either gave up or demanded out and the other two washed out of the league on their own.

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I love it how guys like AP are are all 'sure fire' picks... in retrospect.

When we won that game against MIN so many people were upset because we wouldn't be able to draft Eli Manning.

Now that the guy has played a few years and been totally average we don't hear a freakin' peep about the dude. Funny how that works.

Do you people love indulging in revionist history to pat your selves on the back? Because all I see is a bunch of guys who refuse to let go of an issue because they love stroking their ego's.

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Also, all you fans who have turned on Edgerrin James make me sick.

What a bunch of flip-flopping turn coats you are. At the start of the year everyone is patting him on the back and talking about him being 'reborn' as a runner. Now we have people calling him out for being 'slow'.

What a bunch of nonsense.

The guy is still running hard. But he had no where to go. Which is a credit to Tampa's defense, but also our lines inability to run block (recently).

Last edited: