And the Cards surprise pick at #33 is...

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ben Watson will be the pick. He is a playmaker. He is 6' 3 1/2" 258 lbs and runs athe 40 in 4.53. (If he is still on the board and the Cards have not drafted Kellen Winslow at #3 then his name will be called!!!)

THE HUDDLE REPORT

Ben Watson TE Georgia

Strengths
Ben is very athletic for his size or anyone else's size. He has good hands and runs excellent routes. Ben has a good feel for when and where to cut off his routes to help his QB. Ben has football smarts and is a team player. He has leadership qualities and is a good blocker -- quick and strong.

Needs to Improve
Ben needs to learn how to draw attention to his play.

Bottom Line
Ben is about the same size as Kellen Winslow. He is as athletic as Kellen. He catches the ball as well as Kellen. He is as fast -- or faster -- then Kellen. He runs routes as well as Kellen. He blocks as well as Kellen. He averages 13 yds/catch, which is comparable to Kellen. He has scored a total of 7 TD’s for his college career and that compares favorably to Kellen’s 9 TD’s for his college career. So what is the big difference between these two players? Raise your hand if you have the answer. Not you Drew…somebody else pleasssse!
Anybody? Nobody? Ok, Drew, give us the answer. There is only one reason. Kellen plays for Miami, is on TV all the time, the announcers love him and his father is famous. That’s four reasons. Go to the back of the class. Seriously, though, Ben does not have the fear of failure that Kellen has and he doesn't have the need to be the top dog on his team. However, he is every bit as talented as Kellen. As I’ve said before in another profile, if you pass on Kellen and take a different TE later, it will not be the end of the world. There are a lot of good TE’s in this draft -- especially those with the first name of Ben.

Drew Boylhart

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cards go defense in round 2.....no tightends please

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
az jam said:
Ben Watson will be the pick. He is a playmaker. He is 6' 3 1/2" 258 lbs and runs athe 40 in 4.53. (If he is still on the board and the Cards have not drafted Kellen Winslow at #3 then his name will be called!!!)

Bottom Line
Ben is about the same size as Kellen Winslow. He is as athletic as Kellen. He catches the ball as well as Kellen. He is as fast -- or faster -- then Kellen. He runs routes as well as Kellen. He blocks as well as Kellen. He averages 13 yds/catch, which is comparable to Kellen. He has scored a total of 7 TD?s for his college career and that compares favorably to Kellen?s 9 TD?s for his college career. So what is the big difference between these two players? Raise your hand if you have the answer. Not you Drew?somebody else pleasssse!
Anybody? Nobody? Ok, Drew, give us the answer. There is only one reason. Kellen plays for Miami, is on TV all the time, the announcers love him and his father is famous. That?s four reasons. Go to the back of the class. Seriously, though, Ben does not have the fear of failure that Kellen has and he doesn't have the need to be the top dog on his team. However, he is every bit as talented as Kellen. As I?ve said before in another profile, if you pass on Kellen and take a different TE later, it will not be the end of the world. There are a lot of good TE?s in this draft -- especially those with the first name of Ben.

Drew Boylhart[/U]

I agree with a lot of your assessments of Watson, but he is not worthy of the Cards taking him at #33. There is actually a decent chance that he is there at #64 for the Cards. Watson is a good TE, as is Ben Troupe from Florida, but it is not enough of a need to take a TE that early in the draft. They may be good players and in fact help the team, but there are too many other spots that NEED to be filled for them to take a TE at #33.

I think taking Winslow would be a huge error, but make no mistake about it, he is far and away the best TE in this draft. The other guys have good stats, and tested well, but Winslow is an athletic freak. Given the right coaching, and if he keeps his head on straight, he will be a top 3 TE in the NFL for 10 years. Watson and Troupe could be good, but Winslow's potential and upside are far greater. That being said, I hope KW II is a complete bust and never plays a down in the NFL. Total loser.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
WallyB correct me if I'm off on this...It seems that every time I watched a Miami game Winslow was making huge plays for the Hurricanes. He just seemed unstoppable in pressure situations especially in third and long. He is one guy who, to me, "stepped up" in big games.

And if ASFN posters are knocking his attitude the guy must be a terrific football player. :D

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ben Watson

Az Jam, I posted that Ben Watson would be our #33 pick about a week ago, right after the Graves/Green press conference and they said that they had targeted a pick at #33. Not for nothing but your post made it sound that you "uncovered" Watson. Whether we take him or not he won't be there at #64. If we don't I believe we stay offense and select the USC OT.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
WallyB correct me if I'm off on this...It seems that every time I watched a Miami game Winslow was making huge plays for the Hurricanes. He just seemed unstoppable in pressure situations especially in third and long. He is one guy who, to me, "stepped up" in big games.

And if ASFN posters are knocking his attitude the guy must be a terrific football player. :D

If you're looking for a disagreement you're going to have to change the subject. ;)

The only one who could stop Kellen last year was Brock Berlin, his QB. :eek:

2 years ago, another tight end came out of Georgia. His name is Randy McMichaels, who is playing for the Dolphins, also without a QB. Watson comes from same system, a la Mark Richt, and same athletic mold. Richt is an offensive minded HC and can teach guys to play. Don't forget for quite a few years, the TEs of the high school world ended up playing Power forward on some BB team. I love the TE position and look forward to a change for the Cards at that position. Freddie Jones is a what you see is what you get kind of guy. Not a game breaker at all. Just an outlet for a nervous QB with a sieve for an O line.
:cool:

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Garthshot:Actually I think I did see your post but just read the Huddle reports on different players and it hit me that Denny could go after him and posted my thoughts on it. However, I'm wishy washy and everytime I read a report on an exciting prospect I think he may be the guy that goes to the Cards at #33. :shrug: