Andray Blatche in hospital after shooting

mribnik

Reaction score
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1159956

WASHINGTON Sep 26, 2005 — Washington Wizards rookie forward Andray Blatche was shot during an attempted carjacking and remained hospitalized Monday.

"The information that we have received is that Andray was a victim of a carjacking," president of basketball operations Ernie Grunfeld said. "We have spoken to Andray and the doctors have informed us that he is in good condition and is doing well."

Blatche's mother, Angela Oliver, told The Post-Standard of Syracuse, N.Y., that her son was shot once in the chest while riding in a car near his home in Alexandria, Va., but that the bullet did not hit any vital organs. He is being treated at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Fairfax, Va.

Police said the shooting happened Sunday morning after two men in masks approached from a van that had been following the car in which Blatche was a passenger.

Blatche, 19, went to high school in Syracuse before attending Connecticut's South Kent Prep School last season. He was the 49th overall pick in this year's NBA draft.

I remember there were quite a few posters interested in picking him. I hope he recovers well and gets to live out his dream.

Another article said that he was in serious but stable condition. Apparently the bullet missed his heart by an inch.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
If Pierce can come back from being stabbed 8 times, one of which was also an inch from his heart, to play 82 games the next season (only a couple months later) I would like to think that Blatche can have the same luck.

He really did look like something special.

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
If Pierce can come back from being stabbed 8 times, one of which was also an inch from his heart, to play 82 games the next season (only a couple months later) I would like to think that Blatche can have the same luck.

He really did look like something special.

In fact, that season, Pierce broke out and made the all-star team for the first time and finished in the top 10 in the NBA for scoring. I think I remember hearing that he was the only Celtic to play all 82 games that season. I hope that Blatche can have similar luck. Except of course, when he plays against the Suns.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Neo said:
In fact, that season, Pierce broke out and made the all-star team for the first time and finished in the top 10 in the NBA for scoring. I think I remember hearing that he was the only Celtic to play all 82 games that season. I hope that Blatche can have similar luck. Except of course, when he plays against the Suns.

Yep that is all correct. IIRC the doctors were saying he was at 50% health all season too.

The next year he led Boston into the playoffs for the first time in a long time. That is when people were really heavy on the Pierce bandwagon putting him in the same catagory as Tmac and Kobe.

If Blatche is medically fine this won't hurt him much. If anything it will take all the pressure away from him producing, hopefully allowing him to take notes and start to learn the game.

I don't want to say this will be good for him in the long run, but major injuries to young players (with excellent physical abilities) can really take them to the next level assuming they heal perfect. A lot of times it is a reality check that there is more to the game than athleticism. Remember when Amare missed all that time and got a chance to actually watch the team play? He said that was one of the best things for him, and I would have to agree.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake