Andrew Lucks first pass in the NFL........

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, I wish we had a QB:

Luck: 10/15 188 yards, 2 TD's, 1 rush for 9 yards.

That's better than all 4 of our QB's combined. LOL

As they said about him at Stanford he just sees the game at a different speed than everyone else does. He's not perfect, doesn't have the strongest arm in the world, at times struggles on the deep throws,but he's just so ahead of the curve mentally as a QB.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So are there any in next years draft who compares favorably to Luck? We gotta get a QB in here............and an o-line...........imagine Fitz with an NFL caliber QB & O-line......

There are some really high potential QBs in next years draft but no one on Luck's, lock for a star, level.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As they said about him at Stanford he just sees the game at a different speed than everyone else does. He's not perfect, doesn't have the strongest arm in the world, at times struggles on the deep throws,but he's just so ahead of the curve mentally as a QB.

His arm strength is pretty damn good. Its not the best in the league but its well above average. His WO's at stanford consisted of a bunch of 4.7+ 40 running dudes who were not threats to beat coverage and go deep. I think with some NFL quality speed guys his arm strength will be a lot more obvious.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His arm strength is pretty damn good. Its not the best in the league but its well above average. His WO's at stanford consisted of a bunch of 4.7+ 40 running dudes who were not threats to beat coverage and go deep. I think with some NFL quality speed guys his arm strength will be a lot more obvious.

Oh I'm not saying he has a weak arm by any stretch, just there are more physically talented QB's than him, stronger arm, faster etc. But what makes him special is his understanding of what's happening around him.

Stanford was really slow but they did have Owosu and Ty Montgomery was coming on later in the year. But Owusu was hurt alot. What I meant about struggled on the deep throws is there were several in his career that he missed, overthrows, under etc. It was something Harbaugh talked about a few times when asked what else does a kid like that have to work on he'd almost always say he occasionally struggles on the deep balls.

I love the kid I would have given our entire draft, Kolb, Skelton etc for the chance to get him as a Card.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Still convinced he will be a bust.
*cough* RG3

Also one thing that has not been mentioned....I don't think he was even touched while playing today. I have never doubted the guy will be one of the best in the league though.
That's a product of having a good QB -- Luck avoided pressure on several occasions just by manipulating the pocket and also by rolling out when it collapsed. Indy has a makeshift O-Line, but the QB is the main catalyst in avoiding sacks. IE: throwing hot routes, changing protections, not holding on to the ball, etc...

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
He will be fine and I actually think he will be better than Luck. The NFL is changing and RGIII will thrive in it.
Mmmhmm... Until a safety blitz comes and he stands there like a deer in the headlights (as he's been doing all throughout training camp). RGIII has a couple years before he's anything close to Luck. Dont worry though, you can blame Mike Shanahan when the Redskins inevitably fail miserably :)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Luck's chances of being a Pro Bowler are significantly higher than his chances of being a bust. That's how special of a player this man is. Too smart, athletic, and dedicated to his craft to fail in this league.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol this post will be in the message board hall of fame.

Not that I think the answer is going to be very good but based on what grounds?

After watching a few games last year I just never saw the hype. Many of the balls thrown were wobbly and there were two that would have been picked off in a NFL game. I think the system he was in along with a really strong team have hyped him up.

You should of seen it yourself. Look how bad that first throw is.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be a die-hard RGIII fan correct? Talk about a system QB...

Nope, not at all. Just feel he is a better fit for what a lot of teaming are starting to do. RGIII may well be a bust too, but something about him just seems like he has it. Plus, how many time can the Redskins be wrong before getting lucky.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Nope, not at all. Just feel he is a better fit for what a lot of teaming are starting to do. RGIII may well be a bust too, but something about him just seems like he has it. Plus, how many time can the Redskins be wrong before getting lucky.
All I can say is watch film on RGIII. 75% of his throws are within 5 yards and most of his deep throws are to wide open WR's. In an entire year of film, you could easily count on one hand how many times he looks off a safety and actually reads through progressions. One thing he is great at is marketing -- he's smart by taking advantage of all his endorsement opportunities now, but he will never live up to the extreme over-hype that he's received. Watch RGIII vs OK st, and then watch Luck vs OK st. It's night and day difference.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After watching a few games last year I just never saw the hype. Many of the balls thrown were wobbly and there were two that would have been picked off in a NFL game. I think the system he was in along with a really strong team have hyped him up.

You should of seen it yourself. Look how bad that first throw is.

His first throw of the entire game is a bit overthrown... and then pass after pass into tight areas and frequently while under pressure or on the run. If thats an example of a bad game then its hard to claim he is not an elite QB prospect.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
All I can say is watch film on RGIII. 75% of his throws are within 5 yards and most of his deep throws are to wide open WR's. In an entire year of film, you could easily count on one hand how many times he looks off a safety and actually reads through progressions. One thing he is great at is marketing -- he's smart by taking advantage of all his endorsement opportunities now, but he will never live up to the extreme over-hype that he's received. Watch RGIII vs OK st, and then watch Luck vs OK st. It's night and day difference.

Obviously you never watched more than a few plays of Baylor last year cause the above statement is totally false!!! He threw guys open on a regular basis which a a pretty good sign he might make it. his long ball accuracy is off the charts.

I watched many of his games the last 2 years (probably 14) & I came away impressed because he just kept getting better every year. 17 career picks I believe? Over 70% completions this year? He might fail, but I'm betting he doesn't!!!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His first throw of the entire game is a bit overthrown... and then pass after pass into tight areas and frequently while under pressure or on the run. If thats an example of a bad game then its hard to claim he is not an elite QB prospect.

You really only counted ONE bad throw? I guess you are also going to say his guys where never open either.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Obviously you never watched more than a few plays of Baylor last year cause the above statement is totally false!!! He threw guys open on a regular basis which a a pretty good sign he might make it. his long ball accuracy is off the charts.

I watched many of his games the last 2 years (probably 14) & I came away impressed because he just kept getting better every year. 17 career picks I believe? Over 70% completions this year? He might fail, but I'm betting he doesn't!!!
I watched every single game he played last year, and while I didn't specifically chart his throws, there are tons of stats that prove over 70% of his passes were within 5 yards, ie: bubble screens, slants, short outs. That's how the Baylor offense works, they hit you short for several plays and then hit you with a long ball off Play Action -- I don't make these things up. His completion % and int ratio is a complete fabrication of the offense -- look at Kolb as a perfect example in the exact same offense -- they had pretty comparable stats minus the rushing aspect. All the reports out of the Redskins training camp have said repeatedly that he struggles with intermediate routes, holds on to the ball forever, and he rarely reads past his #1 -- all of which will get you destroyed in the NFL.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You really only counted ONE bad throw? I guess you are also going to say his guys where never open either.

I'm not worried about one or two off throws in a game... every single QB at every level has a few throws like that during a game. Was he hitting guys in tight spots on a regular basis? Yes. Was he avoid pressure? Yes. Was his completion rate extremely high? Yes.

You look at that game and its an absolutely superb performance by a college QB.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about one or two off throws in a game... every single QB at every level has a few throws like that during a game. Was he hitting guys in tight spots on a regular basis? Yes. Was he avoid pressure? Yes. Was his completion rate extremely high? Yes.

You look at that game and its an absolutely superb performance by a college QB.

You did watch to video I embedded? The one were he missed on 5 or 6 throws badly, threw another 3 passes, that because of the WR were caught. Missed by 2 inches overthrowing a WIDE OPEN receiver. If not for above average WR's, BIG TE's, a great OL and Harbaugh, Luck does not have the success he had at Stanford.

He is athletic and does make good reads, but I do not think he has the arm to be an elite QB.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05