Andy Reid does not want time off from the NFL

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In a conversation with Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports, Reid made it clear ththat he doesn't plan to spend anytime off from the NFL.

That's not where I'm at," Reid said when asked about a potential sabbatical. "No. Listen, I'm a coach. I don't hide that from anybody. This is what I do. And I enjoy doing it. I love every day of it. I sure like winning more than losing, but I also am very privileged to be a coach in the National Football League."

So how about Andy Reid as our new Card Head Coach? He knows how to build a solid offense.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would be all for it. I'm a Cardinal fan so maybe it is my shortcoming to accept this but I would love to have a team in playoff contention each year...that is never able to get to the big game LOL

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'd take Reid in a heartbeat.

But, I think it's better for the guy to take a year off, at least. His life has been stressful, to say the least.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you want us to spend a year or three changing over to a west coast offense?

Do we want someone to lead our team who has not been able to straighten out his own OL and QB situation?

While we should respect Reid's street creds, I think the key issue would have to be: How confident can he make Michael B (& possibly Rod G) feel that he knows precisely what needs to be done to right the ship - and that he is willing able to do it. (I dunno...)

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
GM first, It is more than Reid who rode Jimmy Johson's Defenses into a few sunsets! They have been playing musical coordinators and personell has been a mess.

I don't think its Kolb or DA or Leinart - Its a failed system - The NFL is going back to a balanced game! It has adjusted to pass happy personell and schemes and the lighter quicker 3-4's can be run on!

I thought that is what were getting when Denny was fired! I agree adjusting to Kurt but He sure could have survived longer with a few more rushing attempts- like less than last in the NFL every year he played. 10 in the SB and 10 in the Saints playoff loss - both times after balanced gameplans in the playoffs got us there!

That is just stupid! Where have I heard that before?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you want us to spend a year or three changing over to a west coast offense?

considering we don't have any semblance of ANY offense, if the guy has something that actually works, he's an instant upgrade.

whether Reid can do that here tho, remains to be seen, but the i don't think it's a drawback to think a guy is going to bring in a new offensive system to a team that has no offense period.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
GM first, It is more than Reid who rode Jimmy Johson's Defenses into a few sunsets! They have been playing musical coordinators and personell has been a mess.

I don't think its Kolb or DA or Leinart - Its a failed system - The NFL is going back to a balanced game! It has adjusted to pass happy personell and schemes and the lighter quicker 3-4's can be run on!

I thought that is what were getting when Denny was fired! I agree adjusting to Kurt but He sure could have survived longer with a few more rushing attempts- like less than last in the NFL every year he played. 10 in the SB and 10 in the Saints playoff loss - both times after balanced gameplans in the playoffs got us there!

That is just stupid! Where have I heard that before?

True, but Kurt WANTED TO THROW THE BALL and threw every chance he got and from what I heard would audible to throws often when even a run might have been called but who is to argue...he got results and some

artp

Registered
Reaction score
I willt take Andy Reid today. He is a proven NFL HC. There is talent on this team. Just not at QB. Sadly, that may take some time to rectify. Andy Reid can turn the Cardinals in a winning direction sooner than anyone available.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well we know he can do the one thing Whisenhunt failed miserably at: finding and developing QBs.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Andy Reid. There will be a few coaching positions available at the end of the season. We'll see if he fits the bill in one of those cities.

Life's troubles affect people in different ways. Taking time off doesn't work for everybody.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, please no. The Eagles for several years have been one of the worst coached teams in football, especially since Jim Johnson's (the long time Eagle D-Coordinator) death and they have been awful during the final few minutes of games when coaching matters most. There is probably no coach in the league that is worse at clock management than Andy Reid.

I'd love him as our GM, he is excellent and finding talent and fleecing dumb teams in trades, but good lord I would not want him as our head coach.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well we know he can do the one thing Whisenhunt failed miserably at: finding and developing QBs.

I dont know if I agree with this.

McNabb was a good not great QB who never "developed" more than what was expected out of him when he entered the NFL. Hell, he was the number 2 pick. Thats not developing a guy, that getting whats expected out fo him.

Who else is there? Koy Detmer? Mike McMahon? Kolb? Vick? AJ Feeley? Mike Kafka?

I think this whole Andy-Reis-as-some-sort-of-QB-guru thing is WAAAAAY overstated.

I have a lot of Philly friends here in the city, without fail every single one of them has wanted Reid gone for at least 3 to 4 years now.

No. Thank. You.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know if I agree with this.

McNabb was a good not great QB who never "developed" more than what was expected out of him when he entered the NFL. Hell, he was the number 2 pick. Thats not developing a guy, that getting whats expected out fo him.

Who else is there? Koy Detmer? Mike McMahon? Kolb? Vick? AJ Feeley? Mike Kafka?

I think this whole Andy-Reis-as-some-sort-of-QB-guru thing is WAAAAAY overstated.

I have a lot of Philly friends here in the city, without fail every single one of them has wanted Reid gone for at least 3 to 4 years now.

No. Thank. You.
This. Every Iggle fan I know will laugh if the Cardinals get Andy Reid.

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Andy Reid. There will be a few coaching positions available at the end of the season. We'll see if he fits the bill in one of those cities.

Life's troubles affect people in different ways. Taking time off doesn't work for everybody.

Agree, for some people its much better to keep busy and get involved with something challenging. (like coaching the Cardinals)

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In a conversation with Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports, Reid made it clear ththat he doesn't plan to spend anytime off from the NFL.

That's not where I'm at," Reid said when asked about a potential sabbatical. "No. Listen, I'm a coach. I don't hide that from anybody. This is what I do. And I enjoy doing it. I love every day of it. I sure like winning more than losing, but I also am very privileged to be a coach in the National Football League."

So how about Andy Reid as our new Card Head Coach? He knows how to build a solid offense.

It would work for me. His salary may not work for the Cards. Several teams will be looking for new HC so he will likely still be coaching next year. After so many years in Philly it may be good for him to move on with new challenges and new players. Experience is very important in all endeavors including being a head coach. I do not know of anyone more experienced than Reid as a HC that would be available. He likely would have a choice of HC jobs and I would wonder if he would want to come to a team with our problems? I also wonder just how much authority a HC in our organization has? No one seems to know. We do not even know if Graves has GM authority. Reid probably has a lot of authority in the Eagles organization. Having been a successful coach in the NFL for all these years he has to know all the teams and players well. He might even be GM material if given the authority which I doubt the Bidwills will give.

Tim

Reaction score
Coach Reid has a bunch of family ties to AZ through his wife. Her whole family is in AZ. He's from So Cal and has a lot of ties there.

I'd love to see him here in an OC capacity. It'd be a good step back in stress from the HC of the Eagles.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prediction: Andy Reid = San Diego
I'm thinking the perfect spot for Andy would be as HC or AD for a major college program in a football town where a winning football coach would be treated like a god. More wholesome environment for his family and more laid back situation for Andy.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm thinking the perfect spot for Andy would be as HC or AD for a major college program in a football town where a winning football coach would be treated like a god. More wholesome environment for his family and more laid back situation for Andy.

Sounds good... But...

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
It would work for me. His salary may not work for the Cards. Several teams will be looking for new HC so he will likely still be coaching next year. After so many years in Philly it may be good for him to move on with new challenges and new players. Experience is very important in all endeavors including being a head coach. I do not know of anyone more experienced than Reid as a HC that would be available. He likely would have a choice of HC jobs and I would wonder if he would want to come to a team with our problems? I also wonder just how much authority a HC in our organization has? No one seems to know. We do not even know if Graves has GM authority. Reid probably has a lot of authority in the Eagles organization. Having been a successful coach in the NFL for all these years he has to know all the teams and players well. He might even be GM material if given the authority which I doubt the Bidwills will give.
Salary would not be a problem, read like a year back in Forbes that Whis is one of the top paid coaches in professional sports...believer it or not in the top ten at I think around number 8.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Andy Reid is a much better HC than given credit for. He erred though trusting that Vick was a long term answer. In many ways, the Eagles demise is very similar to the Cardinals. The QB position failed them, their OL has been crippled by injuries & McCoy has been injured for awhile now. Reid would NEVER be interested in the Cardinals, because we have the same problems that have plagued him in Philly. He'll only consider a team that has a franchise QB in place. I could see him succeeding in San Diego.