Another Trade Idea

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Johnson has a "cap hold" for as long as the Suns retain his rights, so the Suns wouldn't really have that much room under the cap. I think the hold is for something like 125% of his last year's salary. (Edit: Actually it's 200%, per #28 of Coon's FAQ. So that's $5 million off of the available space.)

The Williams and Hunter signings, which basically constitute the MLE, could happen whether the Suns trade Marion or not. I personally think that Hunter will get more from someone else, but who knows.

I don't see Atlanta giving up Smith for the #5. They are high on Smith and what do they want with the #5?

Portland will want a higher price for giving up the #3 and Van Exel's expiring contract, so the #13 would have to go to them. So basically your trade is Marion for Dalembert and Andersen. That doesn't appeal to me.

Last edited:

asudevil83

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Johnson has a "cap hold" for as long as the Suns retain his rights, so the Suns wouldn't really have that much room under the cap. I think the hold is for something like 125% of his last year's salary. (Edit: Actually it's 200%, per #28 of Coon's FAQ. So that's $5 million off of the available space.)

The Williams and Hunter signings, which basically constitute the MLE, could happen whether the Suns trade Marion or not. I personally think that Hunter will get more from someone else, but who knows.

I don't see Atlanta giving up Smith for the #5. They are high on Smith and what do they want with the #5?

Portland will want a higher price for giving up the #3 and Van Exel's expiring contract, so the #13 would have to go to them. So basically your trade is Marion for Dalembert and Andersen. That doesn't appeal to me.

i factored in JJ's "cap hold" when doing this. the salaries of Nash/Eisley/Q/JJax/Stat/Barbosa/Smith/#13/#21/JJ's "cap hold" = $37.11mil....leaving just under $12mil to sign players IF the cap is raised to $49mil. if its not raised, then i know it wont work.

Dalambert's $6.9mil brings it up to $44.01mil.
Andersen's $3.3mil brings it up to $47.31mil.
Williams' $1.66mil brings it up to $48.97
We then go over the Cap to sign JJ, bringing us up to $51.72 ($48.97-$5.5+$8.25)
Using part of the MLE to sign Hunter.

(I'm not pulling numbers out of my ass here. I've got excel sheets with each guy's salary on here, and it sums it all up on the bottom.)

even if you think that hunter will be offered more, we've got anything up to the whole MLE to offer if we want (which we better not). its not like we are using the entire thing.

Atlanta really like Smith.....but they've got a log jam at his spot. Harrington is really a SF. they've got Childress and then Smith, plus they'd be drafting Marvin Williams with the #2. by trading Smith, they can draft themselves a PG, and can then look to sign a guy like Chandler. a starting lineup of Chandler/Harrington/Childress/Williams/Felton or Paul or Deron Williams may not be the greatest now, but in a couple of years it'll be pretty damn good. they'd be extremely young, but talented. Harrington is an expiring contract, so he does have value to this young team. letting him expire along with Voskuhl sets them up for anothe $8.5mil to come off the books next season, plus probably ANOTHER high lotto pick. i think the pluses outweigh the minuses here.

and as far as Portland goes.....they get an all-nba guy and all-defensive team guy for the #3 pick. they are going to draft a SF anyways, so why not just take a young all-star instead?

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I want to see a Trade happen but I sent a Trade Proposal to a member on this board to check his thoughts about it... I sort of changed it but...

Chris Wilcox

for

Jim Jackson

Clippers gets the SG the team needs, at a cheap price because they obviously won't resign Simmons or Jaric :)

Suns get their "big" and I really like Jackson but come on, the guy gets Traded every year and well the season is over :p I really wouldn't want to Trade him but he's the most likely player to get Traded (for whatever reason) and with the #32 Pick, I'd like the Suns to think defense at the wings (the best defender in Draft) and take Eddie Badsen G/F Charlotte.

Stoudemire
Marion
Richardson
Johnson
Nash

Wilcox
Barbosa
Hunter
Badsen
Shirley

The team would then need to sign a G/F FA but those are much cheaper than a F/C. Wilcox and Badsen really improve the defense and both can rebound (Badsen 8+ at the wing). Hunter would needed to be resigned, so most likely the Suns get a wing that isn't great but Wilcox takes Jackson's role but at the bigs...

asudevil83

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I would fill horrible trading Jackson. The man deserves a real home.

me too...especially sinse he REALLY stepped up for us when JJ went down.

i would like nothing more than for this guy to finish out his career here as a sun. he's fit in better than anyone here thought he would, and has quickly become a favorite.

i remember proposing a trade for him way before it happened, and many here called him a cancer than would destroy our chemistry......and in fact i think he's made us stronger.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
I would fill horrible trading Jackson. The man deserves a real home.

I would feel horrible Trading any of the top 8 players on team but that's why I'm no GM, I can't even cut it as a scout. :)

I still believe there really shouldn't be any Trades, no time to be cheap now... I want to see how the Draft goes first though, I'm hoping I'm not disappointed. The Suns are Drafting high enough, to get an athlete that fits skillball... Zarko looks like he could be a player but I was so disappointed that Draft until the Trade for Barbosa (although I hadn't seen either player at that time yet). I didn't particular like the Tsakalidis Draft, Jacobsen isn't the type of Prospect I'd Draft that HIGH but I was happy with Stat and I figured a role player at that time, wasn't that bad of an idea - he's not that bad of an player though anyways...

I sort of was changing my ideas about Draft, after the Suns management stated, you can't have all of 1 type of player on team but I'm back to athletes, size, defensive ability, always have been high on Point ____ types, and now added skillball/athlete.

Garcia fits athlete (not great but at #21 pretty good); size - in this case, he's got the height and length; great defensive ability; Point skills at SF/SG; and fits skillball.

Andray Blatche fits as well...

Draft and FA should get the 2 players, the teams needs.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Okay, I stand corrected on the "cap hold" issue. I didn't double-check the numbers.

asudevil83

Reaction score
elindholm said:
Okay, I stand corrected on the "cap hold" issue. I didn't double-check the numbers.

its cool....i just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
What? You don't think Memphis would trade Battier for a 3rd-team All-NBA allstar playing the same position but only light years better? :shrug: :mad: :D

I think Battier is better than the other two, and I think they would move him to the SG position if they got Marion. All trade rumors I've seen with the Grizzlies involve Miller, I think they like Battier too much to let him go.

cly2tw

Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I think Battier is better than the other two, and I think they would move him to the SG position if they got Marion. All trade rumors I've seen with the Grizzlies involve Miller, I think they like Battier too much to let him go.

I don't follow your logic. You are basicly saying that they wouldn't trade Battier for Marion straight up. Right? :mad: :(

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
I don't follow your logic. You are basicly saying that they wouldn't trade Battier for Marion straight up. Right? :mad: :(

Yes. Battier is a very talented player that doesn't have a huge contract. He's probably the best player on thier team next to Gasol. I'd rather trade Miller if I were Jerry West. Note that I am a Marion fan and even if they offered Battier I still wouldn't trade Marion.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
Yes. Battier is a very talented player that doesn't have a huge contract. He's probably the best player on thier team next to Gasol. I'd rather trade Miller if I were Jerry West. Note that I am a Marion fan and even if they offered Battier I still wouldn't trade Marion.

Miller is much better than Battier.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
asu83

that was an awesome post. breaking down the salaries like that and a trade where everyone not only gets value, but gets the type of players and salaries they want, makes very good sense. My one problem with what your proposal is that i dont think atlanta will deal smith. although i know the suns liked him last year, i dont see atlanta trading away a player with A) drawing value for fans (slam dunk champ, and a highlight every night)b) can potentially turn into an all out stud anc c) is 19 years old and not due $$$ for three more years. i think they would deal harrington first and i dont think the suns want him. once again, great post though.... All future trade speculation take note: This was a good proposal... KG for a conditional second rounder is one a little less likely to happen (thats sarcasm there folks)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I have been for keeping everyone including Marion. Can we afford Stoudamire, Marion, Johnson, Richardson, Nash and bench players after next year when all the starters are going to make at least 8 million a year? If no then I would do this trade.

Marion

for

Okefor

Charlotte could replace Okefor with #6, probably Frye and get a star in Marion and can get a PG like Jarett Jack at #13 or Raymond Felton

We get some salary cap relief and a phenomenal rebounder/shot blocker and can take BPA at #21.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
overseascardfan said:
I have been for keeping everyone including Marion. Can we afford Stoudamire, Marion, Johnson, Richardson, Nash and bench players after next year when all the starters are going to make at least 8 million a year? If no then I would do this trade.

Marion

for

Okefor

Charlotte could replace Okefor with #6, probably Frye and get a star in Marion and can get a PG like Jarett Jack at #13 or Raymond Felton

We get some salary cap relief and a phenomenal rebounder/shot blocker and can take BPA at #21.

this is officially the most ridiculous trade proposition of the offseason!!!

asudevil83

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
asu83

that was an awesome post. breaking down the salaries like that and a trade where everyone not only gets value, but gets the type of players and salaries they want, makes very good sense. My one problem with what your proposal is that i dont think atlanta will deal smith. although i know the suns liked him last year, i dont see atlanta trading away a player with A) drawing value for fans (slam dunk champ, and a highlight every night)b) can potentially turn into an all out stud anc c) is 19 years old and not due $$$ for three more years. i think they would deal harrington first and i dont think the suns want him. once again, great post though.... All future trade speculation take note: This was a good proposal... KG for a conditional second rounder is one a little less likely to happen (thats sarcasm there folks)

Thank you very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan