Anyone else a tad nervous about Denver?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You just know Melo and AI are going to work out together. Primarily because everyone has said it won't work. Add Camby. Thats one team I really wouldn't want to play in round 1.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
They will play defense like the 04-05 Suns, which means they will not be playing any defense at all. They could be scary, but Camby will miss games and they do not have any depth either.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nene's been playing better as well and JR Smith gives them a pretty decent top 5. I'm still not crazy about their trade of Boykins for Steve Blake, but Blake's played decently for them. They've got a fairly deep bench with Reggie Evans, Najera, Diawara, Kleiza & Dermarr Johnson (although none of those guys are great offensive players).

I think they can rebound and take the 6th seed from Houston (since Houston can't stay healthy), but it will take them 2-3 weeks to work AI in with Carmello. I caught a little of their game against Seattle and the Nuggets struggled to put the Sonics away. The game was close going into the final 2 minutes, mostly thanks to some great shots by Ray Allen. It'll be intersting to see how good Denver can be and how AI & Melo co-exist (if they can).

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There aren't going to be any easy playoff matchups for the Suns this year. Well, not until the Finals, that is.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
No. They will try to outscore the opponents in the playoff as they try it now, and the Suns cant be outscored in a 7 games series.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the the thing. You know that AI and CM will get their points. However, the rest of that team is what you have to keep in check. Though I don't think they would sweep Denver, Denver wouldn't take them to a 7 game series by any stretch.

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
They will play defense like the 04-05 Suns, which means they will not be playing any defense at all. They could be scary, but Camby will miss games and they do not have any depth either.

no depth? bench: jr smith, nene, najera, kleiza...not great but not bad.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to classify Nene and Kleiza as a solid bench then go for it. I'm just saying that depth isn't their strong suit, much like the Suns.

Though I would much rather have a combination of Barbosa and Kurt coming off my bench then any combination of those guys.

sunsfn

Reaction score
They gave up a scorer in Boykins and received a very good guard in Blake. They also got rid of a ball hog in Boykins! The news in Denver was that some of the players were getting sick of him keeping the ball every possesion. They may have been thinking the same thing was going to happen with Iverson but, in some games he has had 10 assists, I did not think he had it in him to share that much. He must have reached a point in his career where he wants to win and has figured out how he has to do it.............mainly with other players.
Carmelo is an excellent player and is going to cause teams problems if he can get some help from Iverson and the others. They are much improved and now they have to prove they can play together and win. I think it will take them another season to accomplish this.

Ballamania

Registered
Reaction score
okay, i think we would beat them but it damn sure wouldnt be easy. the thing is that shawn marion, our best defender, has absolute hell with carmelo. he almost scores at will and puts him in foul trouble. now with a.i., you cant double melo as much. the other thing is even with their poor d, they have bigs if healthy can rebound and that always kills us. i dont really care for stevie guarding a.i. either in a seven game series. he would have to work his ass off. we would definitely have to be disciplined and committed to boarding.

Last edited:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I guess we can do a new "are you scared yet?" thread every week, and smoke out all of the opposing-fan lurkers that way. I'm not sure what 'step 2' is supposed to be, though.

My choice for next week: "Do you wet your pants when somebody mentions the Houston Rockets?"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They gave up a scorer in Boykins and received a very good guard in Blake. They also got rid of a ball hog in Boykins! The news in Denver was that some of the players were getting sick of him keeping the ball every possesion. They may have been thinking the same thing was going to happen with Iverson but, in some games he has had 10 assists, I did not think he had it in him to share that much. He must have reached a point in his career where he wants to win and has figured out how he has to do it.............mainly with other players.
Carmelo is an excellent player and is going to cause teams problems if he can get some help from Iverson and the others. They are much improved and now they have to prove they can play together and win. I think it will take them another season to accomplish this.

I may be in the minority, but I think Boykins is an excellent PG for a running team. However, that said, Boykins and AI might have brought too much of the same thing to the table for Denver.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
the other thing is even with their poor d, they have bigs if healthy can rebound and that always kills us.
We dont get killed on the boards like we used to with Amare doing a much better job. Also KT when helth has been a very good role player for us on the boards & defending.

NugzFan

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to classify Nene and Kleiza as a solid bench then go for it. I'm just saying that depth isn't their strong suit, much like the Suns.

compared to the suns its not great but our bench is solid overall. you did forget to mention najera and smith too.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why should we be nervous about the Nuggets? They have a decent team, no question there, but I'm not scared or nervous about them because we simply have a better team.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
compared to the suns its not great but our bench is solid overall. you did forget to mention najera and smith too.

Because I acknowledge those two as decent bench guys. But having two guys able to come off the bench and contribute doesn't constitute depth.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why should we be nervous about the Nuggets? They have a decent team, no question there, but I'm not scared or nervous about them because we simply have a better team.

You don't know that yet. If Iverson integrates well, Denver will be very good by April.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I'm nervous about a lot of teams. I think any one of the top 7 teams in the West will have a good chance to win it all but a first round match-up vs. the Clippers or T-Wolves would be nice. The rest of the teams are pretty good though, Melo and AI form a really nice duo there, then they have JR and some nice role players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05