Anyone Like "The Stones"?/Stones Related News

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never noticed too many discussing The Rolling Stones in this forum before and I'm curious if anyone enjoys listening to them....

True, they did "copy" The Beatles from '64-'69, that they weren't the most talented as musicians, and Brian Jones who essentially was "their leader" passed away way too prematurely and they never really captured that same magic after that....

Although, several bands in recent memory really were heavily influenced by them along with the fact that they have remained true with their Blues roots for the most part, Mick Taylor was brilliant performing the "Let It Bleed" material live and stellar on "Exile On Main Street", and they didnt embarrass themselves when trying to branch out and try different genres (like how they experimented with Disco on "Some Girls")....

Edit: Who can possibly forget the Altamont experience? I recently obtained a copy of the documentary "Gimme Shelter" and the production of that was second to none....

Yeah their last couple releases left a little to be desired, but when I saw them in concert during their "Steel Wheels" Tour, it was totally amazing to see them rock thru their classics at a blistering rate.......

So, who here likes the Stones?

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Stones. I like the Beatles. I give the Stones a lot of credit for their longevity even if some of their stuff here and there is/was kinda iffy.

OT --The Beach Boys on the other hand.........ihateem.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt necessarily say the Stones are better than The Beatles (or conversely The Beatles better than the Stones) because even though The Stones did somewhat copy the Beatles for a brief period there..both their styles contrasted quite a bit.... They both respectively had a distinct sound and generated an equal amount of hits.....

Also, it would have been interesting to see what would have transpired to The Beatles if they hadnt stopped touring in '66 and then became "fractured unities" on their later records which eventually lead to their break-up....

Although, I would rank The Who superior to both The Beatles and Stones in terms of "sheer" talent, but that's an entirely different story altogether....

As far as the Beach Boys...well....the only album I can tolerate by them is "Pet Sounds" which essentially paved the way for "Sgt. Pepper"....

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
I wouldnt necessarily say the Stones are better than The Beatles (or conversely The Beatles better than the Stones) because even though The Stones did somewhat copy the Beatles for a brief period there..both their styles contrasted quite a bit.... They both respectively had a distinct sound and generated an equal amount of hits.....

Also, it would have been interesting to see what would have transpired to The Beatles if they hadnt stopped touring in '66 and then became "fractured unities" on their later records which eventually lead to their break-up....

Although, I would rank The Who superior to both The Beatles and Stones in terms of "sheer" talent, but that's an entirely different story altogether....

As far as the Beach Boys...well....the only album I can tolerate by them is "Pet Sounds" which essentially paved the way for "Sgt. Pepper"....

In terms of talent, Zeppelin wins, in my non-talented opinion.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
In terms of talent, Zeppelin wins, in my non-talented opinion.

I knew someone would counter w/that response! :D

This might make an interesting future poll to determine which out of those bands made the most impact on music (especially among today's artists) and also who was the overall most talented....

It's really a "tough call" on whether or not Zeppelin was better than The Who because they really ventured into "uncharted" terrorities and opened-up so many doors with varying approaches.....

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ya really

can't compare the Stones and Beatles. The Stones in the early days really tried to stay in an "American rythmn and blues" direction. The Beatles definitely set out to conquer the pop culture, quite well i might add.
The beatles experimentation, in production and direction influneced every one. Though McCartney adnits "Pet Sounds" had a huge effect on their writing, post release.
Back to the Stones. jones left the band because he didn't think they were staying true to their roots. At that time was considering starting his own blues roots band. Then his demise.
Some later Stones stuff-VooDoo lounge, Bridges to Babylon, etc. had some very good stuff on them.
Discussing which band had the most influence on who is tough because you have to get nito who influenced them.
I'm suprised The Kinks got no mention yet.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's all about "Gimme Shelter", one of the best songs to come out of the 60s, and that was the late 60s, at that.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought

Beggars Banquet was a masterpiece. What mix. Blues, Rythmn and blues, rock.
Lyrically sensational.
A great album.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
It's all about "Gimme Shelter", one of the best songs to come out of the 60s, and that was the late 60s, at that.

Ever see the documentary "Gimme Shelter" which covered the Stones '69 tour which ultimately resulted in the "ill-fated" Altamont tragedy? The most poignant sequence was at the end of the film when they played "Gimme Shelter" while those who attended Altamont were in the process of leaving (mainly children who were lost souls and were trying to discover a newer sense of direction after the "Decade of Love" came to its conclusion).....

If suggest that you do if you havent because knowing that you're in the film industry and very astute on it that you'd highly appreciate the overall production of it....

jstadvl said:
Beggars Banquet was a masterpiece. What mix. Blues, Rythmn and blues, rock.
Lyrically sensational.
A great album.

I really agree about your take on that album....Unfortunately, Brian Jones was "whacked out" during all of that session because of his worsening drug/substance abuse problems... Just love "Sympathy for the Devil", "No Expectations", "Sreet Fighting Man", and "Salt of the Earth"...

Have you ever watched the Stones "Rock-N-Roll Circus?" Despite that their very own performance didnt necassirly measure up to the other bands who were featured..it was very fascinating on how they reworked some of those songs live (including "You Can't Always Get What You Want").....

"Beggars Banquet" was also the first album in years that they didnt somehow try to counter the Beatles (although the Beatles were reverting back to their earlier roots as well on "The White Album").....

Oh..and I agree about the Kinks deserving some "attention" as well... Ray Davies was probably one of the most lyrically talented writers to come out during that time (especially his satire on what England's political climate/social scene was like during that era) and his rhythm guitaring along with Dave Davies creative lead guitar player pretty much he lped usher in Punk in its earlier evolution....

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not sure

because the british releases were different fron the American. But Let It Bleed may have been the last album Jones was still part of the band on.
His contribution may have been minimal and Taylor brought in after.
The scenario surrounding Jones death will always be a mystery, but everyone in the music industry (players that is) had Jones listed as one of the most gifted musicians of the era. Could pick up any instrument and paly it in a short while. How a guy has a party at his own home and drowns is beyond me.
Anyway, I think Aftermath and 12x5 were turning points for them. No matter what album you pick there's some great stuff on them.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
because the british releases were different fron the American. But Let It Bleed may have been the last album Jones was still part of the band on.
His contribution may have been minimal and Taylor brought in after.
The scenario surrounding Jones death will always be a mystery, but everyone in the music industry (players that is) had Jones listed as one of the most gifted musicians of the era. Could pick up any instrument and paly it in a short while. How a guy has a party at his own home and drowns is beyond me.
Anyway, I think Aftermath and 12x5 were turning points for them. No matter what album you pick there's some great stuff on them.

I believe Brian Jones and Mick Taylor performed on 2 songs respectively on "Let It Bleed" while Keith did a solid effort filling in.......

Yeah, the Stones lost a leader and a versatile musician in Brian Jones... His sitar, piano, sax, harmonica, etc contributions couldnt be matched by anyone else in the band.... He was a ceritifed genius, however, obviously couldnt handle the pressures of fame (similar to Kurt Cobain that they rather been private citizens ahead of anything else).. Granted, that Jones death was never ruled a suicide, so I wont speculate or insinuate that....

"Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" was probably the Stones at their best live... Taylor just demolished his guitar on that.....

I agree... it's difficult to fully rank a "fave" album by the Stones because of what you "said"...that each of them contained an array of hits that will always remain legendary...

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
I like Some Girls as well as those already mentioned. :shrug:

Yeah..agreed... "I Miss You" was probably the song that excited me most when they performed it live during the "Steel Wheels" concert and "Beast of Burden" is another "gem"....Only "negative" was their cover of "Just My Imagination"....

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Did anyone

like Dirty Work? One listen wasn't enough, but after a couple I really emjoyed it. Good stuff on there. It kind of got lost and never had alot of radion time, other than Harlem Shuffle. that was not the best cut on the album.
Man you guys have me pulling out Englands newest hit makers, Decembers Children. I feel like I'm back trying to put my first band together doing Stone copies! LOL

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
like Dirty Work? One listen wasn't enough, but after a couple I really emjoyed it. Good stuff on there. It kind of got lost and never had alot of radion time, other than Harlem Shuffle. that was not the best cut on the album.
Man you guys have me pulling out Englands newest hit makers, Decembers Children. I feel like I'm back trying to put my first band together doing Stone copies! LOL

The only other song I liked off of "Dirty Work" was "One Hit" (To The Body)"...
If I remember correctly, Mick and Keith were literally "coming to blows" throughout the fllming of the video which lead to their brief period of time away together..... "Harlem Shuffle" was just the Stones again expanding their sound, but also still maintaining their roots....

"Decembers Children" highlights to me personally were "As Tears Go By" and "Blue Turns To Grey"...."Get Off Of My Cloud" was decent, however, didnt match the excellence of the other 2......

I consider "Their Satanic Majesties Request" to be one of their worst albums since they blatanty "ripped-off" Sgt. Pepper, however, "2000 Light Years From Home" will always be a classic..... At least they rediscovered their roots on "Beggars Banquet"..... Although, it's fascinating now to listen to the Stones brief "foray" in Psychadelia.... I shouldnt hold that against them since several bands during that era had at least one attempt on trying to replicate "Pepper" and I think the most successful was "The Who Sell Out", but that's entirely a different story all together....

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree

about Majesties. However as you said, everyone was trying to go that way.
My next album of the day will cover a guy still doing it.
The riff was over Jagger putting his solo stuff over tha bands stuff. The nad rule was "the band first". Women, family, music collaborations, etc. all came second.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://nme.com/news/112321.htm

STONES ROLL AGAIN!

THE ROLLING STONES have announced details of a new world tour, which is due to kick off at BOSTON’s FENWAY PARK on August 21.

The band have already confirmed 35 dates in the US and Canada and then plan to tour Mexico, South America, the Far East and finally Europe in the summer of 2006.

The veteran rockers also surprised both fans and the world’s media yesterday when they played a surprise gig at the launch of the global trek (May 10).

As hundreds gathered at New York's Juilliard School of Music for the announcement of the tour, the opening notes of ’Start Me Up’ could be heard, before a giant banner featuring the Stones’ infamous ‘tongue’ logo dropped to reveal the band.

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood played three songs for the crowd, which included new track ’Oh No Not You Again’ and the classic ’Brown Sugar’.

The Rolling Stones’ ’Onstage’ tour will hit venues ranging from stadiums to theatre and club shows, and will also offer 400 fans the chance to view the show from the stage.

The tour’s promoter Michael Cohl said: “The band is redefining the concert experience—there is nothing even comparable to the thrill of being onstage with The Rolling Stones and seeing a stadium show from the band’s perspective. For fans this will be the greatest tour yet.”

The Rolling Stones hold the record for the top two most attended North American tours of all time.

In addition, every ticket sold for the tour will also include a free Virtual Ticket membership in the band’s fanclub at rollingstones.com.

Users will be able to access video and audio streams from rehearsals and preparations, downloads, set lists and news.

Tickets for the North American leg of the tour will range in price from $99 to $110 on average.

The Rolling Stones are currently working on their new studio album, which is expected for release through Virgin Records in conjunction with the tour.

The Rolling Stones’ ’Onstage’ North American dates are:

* Boston Fenway Park (August 21)
* Hartford Rentschler Stadium (26)
* Ottawa Frank Clair Stadium (28)
* Detroit Comerica Park (31)
* Moncton Magnetic Hill (September 3)
* St. Paul Xcel Energy Center (6)
* Milwaukee Bradley Center (8)
* Chicago Soldier Field (10)
* East Rutherford Giants Stadium (15)
* Columbus Nationwide Arena (24)
* Toronto Rogers Centre (26)
* Pittsburgh PNC Park (28)
* Hershey Stadium (October 1)
* Washington D.C. MCI Center (3)
* Charlottesville Scott Stadium (6)
* Philadelphia Wachovia Center (10)
* Atlanta Philips Arena (15)
* Miami American Airlines Arena (17)
* Tampa St. Pete Times Forum (19)
* Charlotte New Arena (21)
* Calgary Pengrowth Saddledome (28)
* Seattle Key Arena (30)
* Portland Rose Garden (November 1)
* Anaheim Angels Stadium (4)
* San Diego Petco Park (11)
* San Francisco SBC Park (13)
* Fresno Save Mart Center (20)
* Salt Lake City Delta Center (22)
* Denver Pepsi Center (24)
* Phoenix Glendale Arena (27)
* Dallas American Airlines Center (29)
* Houston Toyota Center (December 1)

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.livedaily.com/news/8209.html?tid=21

Beck, Our Lady Peace join Rolling Stones' list of openers
by Rob Evans
liveDaily Editor

Our Lady Peace and Les Trois Accords will open Aug. 28 in Ottawa, and will also join The Tragically Hip and Maroon 5 on the Sept. 3 bill in Moncton, New Brunswick. Beck is scheduled to perform Sept. 26 in Toronto.

Previously, the Stones' camp announced that Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Pearl Jam and John Mayer Trio would open select dates. Details are below; other support acts will be announced.

Tickets for about 20 Rolling Stones shows have gone on sale over the last two weeks, and all logged quick sellouts, according to the Stones' website. Nonetheless, tickets for some shows--often single seats, and mostly in highest price ranges--could still be found on Ticketmaster.com on Thursday morning (5/26). (Ticketmaster is liveDaily's parent company.)

The Rolling Stones' public ticket on-sales for the coming week include three Canadian dates: Toronto, Ottawa and Moncton; there are no new U.S. on-sales scheduled for the Memorial Day holiday weekend.

The first leg of the Stones' 2005/2006 tour opens Aug. 21 in Boston. The jaunt wraps up Dec. 1 in Houston, and about 35 shows are confirmed so far. More North American shows are in the works for early 2006.

In addition to North America, the trek is expected touch down in Mexico, South America and the Far East (possibly including the band's first-ever performances in mainland China). The outing will end in Europe during the summer of 2006.

August 2005
21, 23 - Boston, MA - Fenway Park (w/ Black Eyed Peas) (SOLD OUT)
26 - Hartford, CT - Rentschler Field (w/ Maroon 5) (SOLD OUT)
28 - Ottawa, Ontario - Lansdowne Park (w/ Our Lady Peace, Les Trois Accords)
31 - Detroit, MI - Comerica Park (SOLD OUT) (w/ Maroon 5)

September 2005
3 - Moncton, New Brunswick - Magnetic Hill (w/ Maroon 5, Tragically Hip, Our Lady Peace, Les Trois Accords)
6 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center (SOLD OUT)
8 - Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center
10 - Chicago, IL - Soldier Field (SOLD OUT)
15 - East Rutherford, NJ - Giants Stadium (SOLD OUT)
24 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena
26 - Toronto, Ontario - Rogers Centre (w/ Beck)
28 - Pittsburgh, PA - PNC Park (w/ Pearl Jam) (SOLD OUT)

October 2005
1 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium (SOLD OUT)
3 - Washington, DC - MCI Center (w/ John Mayer Trio) (SOLD OUT)
6 - Charlottesville, VA - Scott Stadium, University of Virginia (SOLD OUT)
10 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center (w/ John Mayer Trio) (SOLD OUT)
15 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena (SOLD OUT)
17 - Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena (SOLD OUT)
19 - Tampa, FL - St. Pete Times Forum (SOLD OUT)
21 - Charlotte, NC - New Charlotte Arena (SOLD OUT)
28 - Calgary, AB - Pengrowth Saddledome (SOLD OUT)
30 - Seattle, WA - KeyArena

November 2005
1 - Portland, OR - Rose Garden Arena
4 - Anaheim, CA - Angel Stadium of Anaheim (SOLD OUT)
11 - San Diego, CA - PETCO Park (SOLD OUT)
13 - San Francisco, CA - SBC Park (SOLD OUT)
20 - Fresno, CA - Save Mart Center
22 - Salt Lake City, UT - Delta Center
24 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
27 - Glendale, AZ - Glendale Arena
29 - Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center

December 2005
1 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center
The Rolling Stones news

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nme.com/news/112989.htm

KEITH TO STAR AS PIRATE

ROLLING STONES’ guitarist KEITH RICHARDS is set to make his HOLLYWOOD debut.

Following some speculation, it appears Richards will star in a ’Pirates Of The Caribbean’ sequel.

"I can confirm, Keith Richards will appear in ’Pirates Of The Caribbean’ 2 or 3,” explained co-star Bill Nighy to Contactmusic.com. “I'm not sure which one, because they are being filmed back to back."

The Rolling Stone is expected to play the father of Johnny Depp’s character Captain Jack Sparrow who was largely based on Richards real life persona in the original film.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.nme.com/news/113045.htm

THE ROLLING STONES READY FIRST ALBUM IN EIGHT YEARS

THE ROLLING STONES are finalising plans for their studio album in eight years.

Expected to be released on September 5, it’s believed the band have recorded 18 tracks from which the final album will be selected.

The album was recorded in France during late 2004 and spring 2005 with producer Don Was. Mixing took place in Los Angeles earlier this summer.

Among the tracks being considered for the album is ’Neo-Con’, which is believed to be an attack on the politics of George Bush and the Republican administration.

Meanwhile other songs that may feature on the record include: ’Oh No, Not You Again’, ‘Back Of My Hand’, ‘She Saw Me Coming’, ‘Under The Radar’, ‘Look What The Cat Dragged In’, ‘This House Is Empty Without You’, ‘Walking Alone In The Rain’ and ‘You Drive Too Fast’.

The album, is the band’s first studio since 1997's ’Bridges To Babylon’, while ‘Oh No, Not You Again’ which the band performed live in May when they announced their forthcoming world tour in New York, is rumoured to be the first single.

As previously reported, the Rolling Stones kick off their world tour on August 21 in Boston, Massachusetts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan