Anyone watching Jeremy Lin?

cly2tw

Reaction score
Where did this guy come from? I read that they were about to waive him and now he is putting up 20/10 three games in a row. I almost picked him up in my fantasy leagues but then I thought, no way he keeps this up. He is proving me wrong.

Read the WSJ article I posted earlier this thread and listen to the commentators, you'll see that he has the fundamentals to be consistently performing at a very high level. Definitely not the type of one-hit-wonders who just has one wonder trick in the pocket for a couple of shining moments in the league.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm a fan... and hopeful he averages 20/8 for the rest of the season lol.

Melo is a cancer on any offense... ISO players who jack 20 shots = Not good in a D'Antoni system.

Lin has been unleashed, as D'Antoni's system does... and he has performed..

He's outplayed 3 PGs.... Deron, Devin and John Wall.

What can good teams with scrub-like PG do?... well I understand that they can focus the entire defense on him.... but he has proven he can go one on one on GOOD PGs....

When Amare gets back... Tyson + Amare PnR left/right plays will keep the defense on their back foot...

I'm more concerned with Melo coming back and ruining any ball movement.....

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I'm a fan... and hopeful he averages 20/8 for the rest of the season lol.

lol is fitting at the end of that sentence.. that would shock me if he averaged 20/8 , especially after teams adjust. Steve Novak is tearing up opposing teams for the Knicks in the last two games. Are we all going to establish him as a 17 point per game scorer now too?

cly2tw

Reaction score
lol is fitting at the end of that sentence.. that would shock me if he averaged 20/8 , especially after teams adjust. Steve Novak is tearing up opposing teams for the Knicks in the last two games. Are we all going to establish him as a 17 point per game scorer now too?

Novak was putting up the numbers because of the space Lin created. Bad analogy.

I was about to say "why" but actually I have some concerns also. I'm not so much worried about how he'll do against good teams as I am about how he'll do against ANY team that prepares for him. He has to develop a shot and until he does he will be easy to shut down any time a team is determined to do so. He doesn't have to be a great shooter such as Steve Nash is, but he needs to be in the Jason Kidd class or his days of playing quality minutes will be a thing of the past.

Steve

True. But he seems to have the tools to adjust to team's defensive adjustment. We'll see. OTH, he is already a better shooter than Kidd. He now seems have changed the shooting form of his college days, when his mechanics were quite weird.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Novak was putting up the numbers because of the space Lin created. Bad analogy.

I think your reading too much into Lin, you say he is going to be a 20/8 player. Only 12 players average over 20 a game in the NBA this year. Trust me, once the hype is over Lin will revert back into Lin. So far I've seen three games where the opposing defense couldn't stop a junior high school varsity team. I'm not saying Lin is a scrub, he has good talent. Just not what we are seeing from him in the last 3 days.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I think your reading too much into Lin, you say he is going to be a 20/8 player. Only 12 players average over 20 a game in the NBA this year. Trust me, once the hype is over Lin will revert back into Lin. So far I've seen three games where the opposing defense couldn't stop a junior high school varsity team. I'm not saying Lin is a scrub, he has good talent. Just not what we are seeing from him in the last 3 days.

I didn't say 20/8. Someone else hoped it. But I'd tell you this. Nash in his 3rd year in the league had only shooting over Lin, and maybe a little better handle. So, if he averaged what Nash did with the same amount of experience, I'd be more than happy.:)

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
The knicks gave up WAY too much for Carmelo and still have some talent down the bench. Must be nice!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't say 20/8. Someone else hoped it. But I'd tell you this. Nash in his 3rd year in the league had only shooting over Lin, and maybe a little better handle. So, if he averaged what Nash did with the same amount of experience, I'd be more than happy.:)

The uniqueness of Nash's career trajectory has been pointed out numerous times on this board.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Nash is Nash, comparing Jeremy Lin to Nash is a borderline crime.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Those 3 games are likely better than any 3 game stretch that a Phoenix Suns player has put up during the last 2 years outside of Steve Nash.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Those 3 games are likely better than any 3 game stretch that a Phoenix Suns player has put up during the last 2 years outside of Steve Nash.

Do you record Suns games and put a big blur over Gortat's face like you see on Cops before you watch them?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Give me a stretch of 3 games where Gortat put up a PER of ~27. Doubt you can. Lin is putting that up for the season right now 2nd behind only Lebron James. I am too lazy to go calculate what his PER during this stretch must have been but definitely outstanding. He put up 25/8/4/2 with 58%FG. Sorry but Gortat never had this good of a stretch of games.

Take all games from last year and this year Gortat put up 25 points 1 time in 105 games. Last year Gortat never even had back to back 20 point games. This year he managed back to back 20 point games once.

It won't even be easy to find many instances of Nash having stronger 3 game runs than that.

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Give me a stretch of 3 games where Gortat put up a PER of ~27. Doubt you can. Lin is putting that up for the season right now 2nd behind only Lebron James. I am too lazy to go calculate what his PER during this stretch must have been but definitely outstanding.

:beer:

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Also in those three games he is 1-10 from three and had 8 turnovers against the one team he played that shows any sign of caring if they win or lose.
I'd take Gortat over Lin in a heartbeat.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Doesnt matter who you would take over who I just said no Suns player had as a good a 3 game stretch as what Lin put up in the last 2 years except Steve Nash a couple of times.

Whoopedoo he shot 1-10 from 3 in those 3 games. He scored 25ppg in those games and shot 58% overall.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Also in those three games he is 1-10 from three and had 8 turnovers against the one team he played that shows any sign of caring if they win or lose.

Slinslin would pick Marcus Banks over Gortat if Banks had 2 good games against the Nets and Wizards.

jibikao

Reaction score
Lin is actually pretty exciting to watch. Yes, it is still too early to tell but for a guy who couldn't even make it to the regular bench player rotation, he surely has stepped up a lot. That really takes skills, concentration and luck.

I want Lin to do well because I am Taiwanese. Lin's parents were born in Taiwan but moved to here in 70's.

Most of Asian basketball players I've seen are either freakish tall (but extremely slow like Yao) or very short and can't do much in NBA. Lin impressed me with his speed and he is not terribly short either. He even had a dunk highlight. Can Nash dunk by the way?

I hope Lin does well so I have somebody to follow after Nash retired. Yes, Lin doesn't shoot the ball well but he can always work on it. It is hard to work on a guard's vision and basket IO. Nash is the perfect example. He didn't do that well in his first 2-3 years of his career but his basketball IQ and his shooting % really have helped his game.

I think Lin is worth watching for now. It won't surprise me if Lin even gets the "star" treatment soon because he can really draw a lot of Asian viewers who normally don't give a s@#$ about NBA. And you know NBA is all about making money when the moment is there. This is a shorter season and I am sure Stern will make sure Lin can draw as much attention as possible. When Knicks played at Wizard the other day, the cheering for Lin was even louder than the fans cheering for Wizard! lol

Magnus

Veteran
Reaction score
@jibikao, Nash has never dunked.

I think that D'antoni's system favours Lin's type of play. He got his chance and took it. 3 games in a row playing this well is not a coincidence. You might argue that it's against bad teams, but those are still NBA teams, and he was facing Deron Williams and John Wall in two of those. I'm interested to see how his career will develop now.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If he had those 3 games anywhere but in NY the ESPMSGN wouldn't have even noticed him.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score

It is not fair to compare Lin's and Gortat's contribution on the court, they are far different players at different positions. Both still have a lot to prove. Lin is doing it under the bright lights with everyone watching. Nobody is watching or apparently cares what Gortat is doing except the die hards.

Why not compare Lin to Telfair and Price?

At this point Lin is the obvious pick.

The problem with Gortat is what he brings to the box office. He has had a heck of a year running the pick and roll with a hall of famer. Unfortunately nobody cares. Nobody buys tickets and we are not winning many games. I have never seen the stands so empty. Maybe more fans miss Amare than Sarver predicted. Maybe Nash is not the only reason fans bought tickets in the past.

The Knicks just started to win a couple of games with Lin at the trottle, but are relevant, exciting to watch and filling the arena. The Knicks could get really exciting to watch when Amare returns and if Melo will allow Lin lead the team when he returns. These are big "ifs" but at least they have "if" in their vocabulary. They are not hoping that they can get an exciting player in the draft. They already have plenty of those.

Lin appears to be just what the doctor ordered for the Knicks but still has a lot to prove.

Gortat appears to be the Center we have needed forever but has a poor supporting class that will get worse when Nash leaves.

I love the Suns but given the choice of watching Lin and the Knicks versus the Suns and Gortat, I watch the Knicks.

If there is a show on TV I really like at the same time as a Knicks game I TIVO the show. If it is on at the same time as a Suns games, I watch the show.

It may be hard to swallow but..........

I am not in the minority.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
You watch the Knicks because of Jeremy Lin? Haha.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You watch the Knicks because of Jeremy Lin? Haha.

I do. He is incredibly fun to watch. He plays the game with a sort of boyish glee that is absolutely refreshing. He has none of that chip on his shoulder stuff (think Shawn Marion) that has come to characterize the NBA. He is amazingly quick, plays D, and yes, he is not the best three point shooter, which would indicate that what he is doing is sustainable.

He revealing Carmelo Anthony's game for what it is. One on one selfish basketball that doesn't make his team better. Lin's game might encourage actual team ball in the NBA and I think that would be a huge improvement.

Plus, the improbability of a player being undrafted and having such impact is just huge. You have to wonder if racial stereotypes might have had something to do with his talent and potential being missed. I am not saying this because I think people are intentionally trying to be racist. It just that it might have been a sort of subconscious "we have never had one like that before" type of thing.

It is a fun story to watch in this dismal NBA season. To bad he doesn't play for the Suns.

I would trade Nash for him right now. . . and I love Nash.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rockets general manager Daryl Morey regrets cutting Jeremy Lin. I wonder if the Suns FO regrets sending Dragic plus a first round pick to the Rockets for Aaron Brooks who is still playing in China and seems unlikely to play for the Suns again. There are degrees of mistakes and the Suns seem to be on the short end most of the time.

If Lance Blanks idea of improving the Suns was adding Telfair, Price and Brown... this speaks volumes. Where was Blanks when Lin was cut? I thought his job was spotting talent on other NBA teams.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218924/Morey_Regrets_Cutting_Jeremy_Lin

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake