Appreciating Arrington

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose it would help the OL to have a running back that doesn't run straight in the back of the guard or doesn't dance around before trying to hit a hole.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Hollywood, I'm going to give you a pass, because it is crystal clear you aren't well versed on the topic. Offensive Linemen (which I have been before) have to know their assignments, and it doesn't matter who is running behind them. Do you seriously believe they think to themselves 'Well, JJ is in the game now, we have to hold our blocks .5 seconds longer'? Um, no. And, brother, that's pretty much what you're describing.

Every running back is different, and every running back's timing is different. The offensive line doesn't make personal adjustments due to the running back; they block the play that is called. Offensive lines need time together to gel, yes, but they do not need a specific running back doing specific things all through the preseason to gel. Not in the least.

I am not saying that the line needs to adjust for different running backs. What I am saying is that the RB needs time to get used the the way the line blocks. Unless you are going to tell me that every line blocks the same way.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I am not saying that the line needs to adjust for different running backs. What I am saying is that the RB needs time to get used the the way the line blocks. Unless you are going to tell me that every line blocks the same way.

The RB doesn't need that time at all--not in preseason nothing games, which is what we're discussing. Tomlinson isn't playing the ENTIRE preseason. Are you going to rag on him for it? Is it going to hurt him? No. Edge is playing hard in practice. That has been documented. Is it going to ruin his 2007 season to not go balls-to-the-wall in preseason nothing games? No.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
The RB doesn't need that time at all--not in preseason nothing games, which is what we're discussing. Tomlinson isn't playing the ENTIRE preseason. Are you going to rag on him for it? Is it going to hurt him? No. Edge is playing hard in practice. That has been documented. Is it going to ruin his 2007 season to not go balls-to-the-wall in preseason nothing games? No.

LT has the same awesome line that he did last year. They have a bond. Last year Edge had a new line in more ways then one. Preseason games would have helped.

Stout

Reaction score
LT has the same awesome line that he did last year. They have a bond. Last year Edge had a new line in more ways then one. Preseason games would have helped.

You simply do not know what you are talking about. You don't. It makes not one iota of difference who is in front of you, for one. It could be Barney the purple dinosaur; what matters is the scheme and what play it is. Point two is that preseason GAMES mean absolutely nothing, as he can get the SAME EXACT LOOKS in practice. Why bother exposing yourself to young kids who are going crazy trying to make an impression, who may just try to injure you, in a game that means less than nothing?

Again, you just have no concept of what you are talking about.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a lot of this hand-wringing is because Edge doesn't break the long run, and hasn't shown the ability to take every run 60 yards to the house. While that is some concern, I don't think it's a huge one, and the reason I think this is because the Pittsburgh Steelers did pretty well for themselves when Jerome Bettis was averaging 3.9 YPC. Even more importantly, a guy like Rudi Johnson isn't a threat to take the ball to the house from his own 40, but he still was a Top 10 rusher the past couple seasons.

We'd all like to have Reggie Bush or Tiki Barber or LDT in our stable, guys, but we passed on that chance when we drafted Levi Brown instead of Adrian Peterson. There are tons of backs who are successful and lead winning teams while not logging 80 yards rushes on the season.

I think that J.J. could contribute this season as a change of pace back on par with Amos Zeroue or Willie Parker, but Edge is driving this bus, because he's by far the best running back on this roster.

Very well said, K9. Edge is durable and the type of back that can control the flow of the game, gets stronger as the game goes on and rarely fumbles. He is not going to break any 50 yd runs (unless he runs a reverse against our defense:) )
That being said I like the way J.J. is hitting the hole and he could prove to be a valuable change of pace back. I really believe we need him to step up and take a few carries from James from time to time.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
You simply do not know what you are talking about. You don't. It makes not one iota of difference who is in front of you, for one. It could be Barney the purple dinosaur; what matters is the scheme and what play it is. Point two is that preseason GAMES mean absolutely nothing, as he can get the SAME EXACT LOOKS in practice. Why bother exposing yourself to young kids who are going crazy trying to make an impression, who may just try to injure you, in a game that means less than nothing?

Again, you just have no concept of what you are talking about.

I think you are right. Practice is just like the games. There isn't a reason to play preseason games. The line and RB don't need to practice together because timing is irrelivent between the two. In fact why DO we even play the regular season games. Since we "can get the SAME EXACT LOOKS in practice" the games are meaningless. We should just have coaches play the games on a Playstation that way nobody will ever really get hurt. We can complete the entire seaon in a few hours and crown the SB winner the next day. You are absolutely right. I didn't know anything and you know everything. I bow to your superior intellect.

Or maybe when you play another team it IS different than practice because it is different players (especially the ones trying to impress because they are going to play harder), different schemes, crown noise, tv cameras, and whatever else.

No, that can't be it. Your surperior intelligence would have known that. :thumbup:

Stout

Reaction score
I think you are right. Practice is just like the games. There isn't a reason to play preseason games. The line and RB don't need to practice together because timing is irrelivent between the two. In fact why DO we even play the regular season games. Since we "can get the SAME EXACT LOOKS in practice" the games are meaningless. We should just have coaches play the games on a Playstation that way nobody will ever really get hurt. We can complete the entire seaon in a few hours and crown the SB winner the next day. You are absolutely right. I didn't know anything and you know everything. I bow to your superior intellect.

Or maybe when you play another team it IS different than practice because it is different players (especially the ones trying to impress because they are going to play harder), different schemes, crown noise, tv cameras, and whatever else.

No, that can't be it. Your surperior intelligence would have known that. :thumbup:

Keep proving you're wrong...I love it when my work is done for me. In essence, you're giving as much credence to preseason games as to regular season games. The fallacy there is quite clear; preseason games are not real, many starting players aren't even in the game, and there are a bunch of young guns out there looking to lay a lick on big names like Edge to make a name for themselves and make a roster. Again, PRESEASON GAMES ARE NOT REAL. They're glorified scrimmages. They can help an offensive line gel together, yes, but it is not necessary for OL to work with specific RBs playing 110 percent. Needing your starting RB to go crazy hitting holes in order for the OL to gel is crazy talk. Most starting RBs barely have many carries in preseason games; some don't get any, and others sit out the WHOLE preseason. Hollywood, remember, preseason games are not real. If you continue to equate preseason and regular season games, you will keep sounding uneducated about pro football.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Keep proving you're wrong...I love it when my work is done for me. In essence, you're giving as much credence to preseason games as to regular season games. The fallacy there is quite clear; preseason games are not real, many starting players aren't even in the game, and there are a bunch of young guns out there looking to lay a lick on big names like Edge to make a name for themselves and make a roster. Again, PRESEASON GAMES ARE NOT REAL. They're glorified scrimmages. They can help an offensive line gel together, yes, but it is not necessary for OL to work with specific RBs playing 110 percent. Needing your starting RB to go crazy hitting holes in order for the OL to gel is crazy talk. Most starting RBs barely have many carries in preseason games; some don't get any, and others sit out the WHOLE preseason. Hollywood, remember, preseason games are not real. If you continue to equate preseason and regular season games, you will keep sounding uneducated about pro football.

Preseason games are not the same as regular season games but it isn't the same as practice either. It is somewhere inbetween the two. And for a running back coming on to a new team with a new line the preseason games are a help. I don't know if I can make it any simpler than that but I am sure you will misunderstand something and I will try to find a way.

Stout

Reaction score
Preseason games are not the same as regular season games but it isn't the same as practice either. It is somewhere inbetween the two. And for a running back coming on to a new team with a new line the preseason games are a help. I don't know if I can make it any simpler than that but I am sure you will misunderstand something and I will try to find a way.

So you honestly think that Edge will do worse in the regular season because he isn't playing balls-to-the-wall in the preseason? Seriously?

Edit: Oh, and by the way, we do not have a back coming on to a new team. Just for the record, bro.

Stout

Reaction score
Wait a second...wait a second...I just realized that I have taken a :koolaid: position in a message-board argument. Wow. Let's take a few moments for that to settle in ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as the main topic of the thread goes.

Arrington scored on a kickoff for the first time in over a decade for the Cards. He gets a free pass in my book this year, especially if he can somehow do it again.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait a second...wait a second...I just realized that I have taken a :koolaid: position in a message-board argument. Wow. Let's take a few moments for that to settle in ;)

The sky is falling....The sky is falling...

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Something to consider...

Perhaps the "improvement" that's visible in JJ's game is related to something we're not seeing. Maybe JJ is smelling blood due to Edge's practices, and comments made by coaches.

Perhaps, he sees a chance to take some more playing time.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Something to consider...

Perhaps the "improvement" that's visible in JJ's game is related to something we're not seeing. Maybe JJ is smelling blood due to Edge's practices, and comments made by coaches.

Well - if he didn't see it that way my concerns about him would be seriously magnified!
I should hope his goal would be to assume a starting role. If he doesn't believe he's good enough to start, he will really never "improve" to the degree many here believe he can...

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something to consider...

I'd say you have an angle there, but all reports are that Edge is tearing it up and working his ass off in practice, coaches praising that. It's just the preseason games where he is kind of lax.

JJ may simply feel like the offense suits his skills...which I think it does.

Stout

Reaction score
I am talking about last year.

Oh, so you're inferring that if Edge had played hard in preseason games last season, he could have somehow avoided all those defenders 3 yards in the backfield? My bad.

If you're going to try to link that Edge didn't go full boat in the preseason last year to the running game's struggles early last year, then yeah, I'm going to contend the point. Why? Because it's a silly argument, that's why.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Oh, so you're inferring that if Edge had played hard in preseason games last season, he could have somehow avoided all those defenders 3 yards in the backfield? My bad.

If you're going to try to link that Edge didn't go full boat in the preseason last year to the running game's struggles early last year, then yeah, I'm going to contend the point. Why? Because it's a silly argument, that's why.
All I am saying is that it didn't help. I am done here.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Edge is too slow and too patient for a deficient offensive line like ours. Having a speed back that can get to the outside or can get through a hole quickly can mask poor offensive line play. I will be interested to see how Arrington is used throughout the year and if his play makes our line look better or worse - same goes for Edge.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there you have it. Edge is partially to be blamed for plays where he was gang tackled in the backfield. That definitely ends it.
Yes, Edge just can't get yards against eight man fronts when everyone in the world knows it is a run. Some can, he can't.

:)