Appreciating Arrington

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Donald? After one half of JJ being JJ, what say you??

:shock:

Huh? Didn't really see him doing bad. Had some good carries, some bad ones. Guys in the backfield on his first carry...failed to get a first and short on one.

Nothing good or bad, really.

How about we see how the season goes, and not one game? Deal?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Huh? Didn't really see him doing bad. Had some good carries, some bad ones. Guys in the backfield on his first carry...failed to get a first and short on one.

Nothing good or bad, really.

How about we see how the season goes, and not one game? Deal?

Too funny... Not sure what is behind your immensely blind loyalty to this scrub, but it really doesn't matter anyway... On one of his kick returns, I swear I saw the Sean Taylor flop routine! And on a 3rd and short, for some illogical reason Whiz entrusted a run play to JJ, who took the pitch and was confronted by one defender - and of course, dropped as quickly as the guy laid a hand on him...

He is a fraud of the highest order Donald... I can guarantee that he will not be with this team next season. He is toast... Enjoy your last season in the NFL JJ... You got paid so congrats... See ya...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too funny... Not sure what is behind your immensely blind loyalty to this scrub, but it really doesn't matter anyway... On one of his kick returns, I swear I saw the Sean Taylor flop routine! And on a 3rd and short, for some illogical reason Whiz entrusted a run play to JJ, who took the pitch and was confronted by one defender - and of course, dropped as quickly as the guy laid a hand on him...

He is a fraud of the highest order Donald... I can guarantee that he will not be with this team next season. He is toast... Enjoy your last season in the NFL JJ... You got paid so congrats... See ya...

If you mean the toss sweep there were 3 guys there waiting on him. Young made the tackle but had 2 other guys right there waiting to get him. I don't understand why we ran JJ on consecutive plays there I think Whiz likes the element of surprise. I thought the run on the play before was a lot worse than the toss sweep, it looked like JJ couuld have gotten the first down there but went down way too easily. We were just using the wrong plays for the wrong guys IMHO.

For example in the first quarter we had this brilliantly designed Denver cutback run play where the line all pulled left and then Shipp got the ball and cut right, into the secondary completely untouched. There's 2 blockers in front, one defender, and Shipp runs right into the defender turning a potential 40+ yard play into a 14 yard gain.

Ironically the one guy on the team who has the speed to take that one long yardage is JJ, but instead we kept trying to run him inside and the one play for Shipp was outside where his lack of speed led him to I guess try and overpower the one defender there.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If you mean the toss sweep there were 3 guys there waiting on him. Young made the tackle but had 2 other guys right there waiting to get him. I don't understand why we ran JJ on consecutive plays there I think Whiz likes the element of surprise. I thought the run on the play before was a lot worse than the toss sweep, it looked like JJ couuld have gotten the first down there but went down way too easily. We were just using the wrong plays for the wrong guys IMHO.

For example in the first quarter we had this brilliantly designed Denver cutback run play where the line all pulled left and then Shipp got the ball and cut right, into the secondary completely untouched. There's 2 blockers in front, one defender, and Shipp runs right into the defender turning a potential 40+ yard play into a 14 yard gain.

Ironically the one guy on the team who has the speed to take that one long yardage is JJ, but instead we kept trying to run him inside and the one play for Shipp was outside where his lack of speed led him to I guess try and overpower the one defender there.

You know what Russ - I only recall one guy (Young) being there for JJ. And JJ didn't even come close to making him miss. Not even close to gaining even a 1/2 yard...
And, regarding JJ's "speed"... I guess I just must be blind to this "speed" everyone keeps referencing...
Where I come from, there is "speed" and then there is football "speed". JJ might be fast, but he is definitely NOT football fast. Edge looks 10x quicker than does JJ. Hell, Shipp even looks quicker than JJ...

As I said above, he's gone after this season anyway... This is his swansong... Enjoy it...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what Russ - I only recall one guy (Young) being there for JJ. And JJ didn't even come close to making him miss. Not even close to gaining even a 1/2 yard...
And, regarding JJ's "speed"... I guess I just must be blind to this "speed" everyone keeps referencing...
Where I come from, there is "speed" and then there is football "speed". JJ might be fast, but he is definitely NOT football fast. Edge looks 10x quicker than does JJ. Hell, Shipp even looks quicker than JJ...

As I said above, he's gone after this season anyway... This is his swansong... Enjoy it...

I only saw the play once but when it happened in the game thread I even wrote they had completely overloaded that side of the line on defense there was no way that was going to work.

he has to play better, but I think we also have to use him correctly asking him to get short yardage is probably not very smart. You're relying on teams not expecting him to run that ball, give the ball to Edge or Shipp in that situation. And don't use Shipp on outside runs that have 77 yard TD run written all over them if he just had the speed to get the corner or try to set up the defender for one of the 2 blockers. Use guys for what they do well.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I only saw the play once but when it happened in the game thread I even wrote they had completely overloaded that side of the line on defense there was no way that was going to work.

he has to play better, but I think we also have to use him correctly asking him to get short yardage is probably not very smart. You're relying on teams not expecting him to run that ball, give the ball to Edge or Shipp in that situation. And don't use Shipp on outside runs that have 77 yard TD run written all over them if he just had the speed to get the corner or try to set up the defender for one of the 2 blockers. Use guys for what they do well.

OK - I give up... Please tell me exactly what it is that JJ "does well"??? :shrug:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK - I give up... Please tell me exactly what it is that JJ "does well"??? :shrug:

He has speed. If you give him that carry instead of Shipp he gets a lot more than 14 yards. You give Shipp those 2 carries that JJ got 3rd quarter he gets a first down where JJ failed twice.

I think we tried to trick them and outsmarted ourselves on those plays.

At least the Shipp play worked for good yardage but it could have gone so much further.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

One play that still bothers me is giving the ball to Arrington on 3rd and two on a play. We needed one of our two bigger backs to get that ball. Arrington did not make an inch and could not even fall forward. I noticed they switched kickoff returners from Arrington. He still lacks something in my eyes and it still may be heart. Yes he looks better but that is not saying much.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Good article. Dovetails nicely into our discussion on whether Edge loses his starting job.

Edge lose his starting job to Arrington? I do not think so. Edge played a pretty good running game last night. Arrington is still Arrington in my mind. If you need 2 yards for a score or first down I sure do not want to see Arrington running into the line for it.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree...shipp should have got those short yardage carries and JJ needs more counters and draws.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree...shipp should have got those short yardage carries and JJ needs more counters and draws.

And in my continued attempt to be positive after such a crappy loss.

Check the replay of Matt's 20 yard run to set up the go ahead TD, and see who shields away the defender that allows Matt to get to the corner and get another 10 yards, #28.

I am now wondering if Shipp was hurt as someone else asked, he didn't seem to play much at all in the 2nd half? That might explain why he didn't get those carries.