Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel Studios' Avi Arad on Upcoming Projects
Source: Superhero Hype!
May 18, 2005

You must be registered for see images
Superhero Hype! talked to Marvel Studios' President and CEO Avi Arad and we asked about the projects the company is working on.

"Things are going Fantastic" on Fox's Fantastic Four, Arad said. "It's going to blow you away. This movie is so fun. This is going to be, in my opinion, the feel-good movie of the summer. There's a lot of interesting, good movies coming up. Most of them are on the dark side. This one is fun and funny and touching. It really captures the FF that we always wanted to make. I think it's going to play incredibly well. It's just a fun fun movie. We're very excited... we really captured the essence of the greatest comic magazine. The family concept, the fun, the love triangle, the brother and sister and then Reed."

We told Arad how much we liked the Magic Johnson FF/NBA TV commercial, to which he replied, "You ain't seen nothing yet. We have a mirage of promotions right after Star Wars." Music to our ears!

He added that they'll be working on the special effects all the way up to the release of the movie and that they "just finished the score and it's really unbelievable." Avi said you can expect the new trailer, which will play in theaters with Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, online Thursday night. "It's awesome, it was hard work."

Fantastic Four, starring Michael Chiklis, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, Jessica Alba and Julian McMahon, hits theaters on July 8th.

Another film he's really excited about is Ghost Rider, starring Nicolas Cage. "It's hot. I've been on 'Ghost Rider' now for seven years and with Nic talking 'Ghost Rider' for four. And we finally got it done. That was a very personal project, making it happen. Everything is great. It was worth the wait and [writer/director] Mark Steven Johnson absolutely performed magic.

Regarding the August 4th, 2006 release and promotions. "Right now it's August, if it stays that day... actually, promotions will start early, you'll start seeing teasers of stuff. To make events like that, you know, you can't wait too long."

About Nicolas Cage playing Johnny Blaze, he said "this is the one [for him], he's tattooed! But more importantly, he's a great Johnny Blaze. You can see the conflict and suffering, and the fun he's having with who he has become. There's nothing usual about this movie. It's all magic."

We also got some brief updates on other projects. He says Spider-Man 3 is in pre-production. He adds that they "hope to be in a very fast track with 'Deathlok,' which has an amazing script". He said that they expect to have the Punisher 2 script in "in three or four weeks," that there will be an announcement on Iron Man soon and that Hulk 2 is in development.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So was Silver Surfer Marvel? that was always my favorite, I guess along with Sub Mariner but I think I read somewhere they were making a Sub Mariner movie?

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
So was Silver Surfer Marvel? that was always my favorite, I guess along with Sub Mariner but I think I read somewhere they were making a Sub Mariner movie?
Yeah, I think they're both in development right now.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Marvel Studios' Avi Arad on Upcoming Projects
Source: Superhero Hype!
May 18, 2005

Superhero Hype! talked to Marvel Studios' President and CEO Avi Arad and we asked about the projects the company is working on.

"Things are going Fantastic" on Fox's Fantastic Four, Arad said. "It's going to blow you away. This movie is so fun. This is going to be, in my opinion, the feel-good movie of the summer. There's a lot of interesting, good movies coming up. Most of them are on the dark side. This one is fun and funny and touching. It really captures the FF that we always wanted to make. I think it's going to play incredibly well. It's just a fun fun movie. We're very excited... we really captured the essence of the greatest comic magazine. The family concept, the fun, the love triangle, the brother and sister and then Reed."

We told Arad how much we liked the Magic Johnson FF/NBA TV commercial, to which he replied, "You ain't seen nothing yet. We have a mirage of promotions right after Star Wars." Music to our ears!

He added that they'll be working on the special effects all the way up to the release of the movie and that they "just finished the score and it's really unbelievable." Avi said you can expect the new trailer, which will play in theaters with Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, online Thursday night. "It's awesome, it was hard work."

Fantastic Four, starring Michael Chiklis, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, Jessica Alba and Julian McMahon, hits theaters on July 8th.

Another film he's really excited about is Ghost Rider, starring Nicolas Cage. "It's hot. I've been on 'Ghost Rider' now for seven years and with Nic talking 'Ghost Rider' for four. And we finally got it done. That was a very personal project, making it happen. Everything is great. It was worth the wait and [writer/director] Mark Steven Johnson absolutely performed magic.

Regarding the August 4th, 2006 release and promotions. "Right now it's August, if it stays that day... actually, promotions will start early, you'll start seeing teasers of stuff. To make events like that, you know, you can't wait too long."

About Nicolas Cage playing Johnny Blaze, he said "this is the one [for him], he's tattooed! But more importantly, he's a great Johnny Blaze. You can see the conflict and suffering, and the fun he's having with who he has become. There's nothing usual about this movie. It's all magic."

We also got some brief updates on other projects. He says Spider-Man 3 is in pre-production. He adds that they "hope to be in a very fast track with 'Deathlok,' which has an amazing script". He said that they expect to have the Punisher 2 script in "in three or four weeks," that there will be an announcement on Iron Man soon and that Hulk 2 is in development.

Ugh, it's interesting and all, but talk about shameless self-promotion! My guess is that 75% of this stuff (including FF4) is going to be less then stellar entertainment.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Ugh, it's interesting and all, but talk about shameless self-promotion! My guess is that 75% of this stuff (including FF4) is going to be less then stellar entertainment.
I'll agree that FF (not FF4--I hadn't heard they're making 3 sequels, yet ;)) will be hit or miss. I think it has the potential to be really good, or really, really bad.

Punisher 2 could be the same way. From eberything I've read, it seems like they understand the mistakes they made in the first one and are looking to correct them. Personally, I didn't think Punisher 1 was all that bad, but I can most certainly understand why others did.

Ghost Rider is interesting. I'll bet it follows fairly closely to the comic book because of Cage's involvement. That might make a lot of fanboys really happy, but it might leave the box office flat, too.

I think Iron Man is the safest bet for a huge success and really good film. They're talking about it being a Tom Clancy-like thriller.

Hulk 2...hmmm. This one is tough to predict, also. I think they need more of the "Hulk Smash" and less of the "Hulk Introspect." I liked the first one okay, though, too. Again, I can understand why others didn't.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
maddogkf said:
Dammit! I want Aqua Man. But I guess he is DC :mad:
I think they're making an Aquaman film.

He's not such a wuss any more, BTW.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm very much looking forward to Punisher 2. I went into the first one expecting a campy comic book movie at best, and was surprised to find an incredible performance, some really cool stuff, a surprise performance from Travolta, and quite a good movie.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score

Another film he's really excited about is Ghost Rider, starring Nicolas Cage. "It's hot.

Who is this guy Paris Hilton, I was acually very excited for Fantastic Four till now, oh its gonna be fun- the feel good movie of the year.:barf:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I though House of Wax was the feel good movie of the year. It's Hot

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Iron Man is definitely the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Me too! And Chaplin, I officially forgive you for going to a video game convention.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it is like the Harrison Ford/Tom Clancy thriller. I walked out of the Ben Affleck/Tom Clancy thriller.

Pariah said:
I'll agree that FF (not FF4--I hadn't heard they're making 3 sequels, yet ;)) will be hit or miss. I think it has the potential to be really good, or really, really bad.

Punisher 2 could be the same way. From eberything I've read, it seems like they understand the mistakes they made in the first one and are looking to correct them. Personally, I didn't think Punisher 1 was all that bad, but I can most certainly understand why others did.

Ghost Rider is interesting. I'll bet it follows fairly closely to the comic book because of Cage's involvement. That might make a lot of fanboys really happy, but it might leave the box office flat, too.

I think Iron Man is the safest bet for a huge success and really good film. They're talking about it being a Tom Clancy-like thriller.

Hulk 2...hmmm. This one is tough to predict, also. I think they need more of the "Hulk Smash" and less of the "Hulk Introspect." I liked the first one okay, though, too. Again, I can understand why others didn't.